Garage Epoxy Paint and Garage Cabinet Recommendations

Travis In Austin

19 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Anyone paint, or have their garage floor painted with epoxy paint product system with good results?

Travis ... i did it to my garage in a house that i bought back in 2005.  Easy to do and turned out nice.

I’ve heard of people putting images underneath -- haven't seen one; but heard they look sharp ... i’d suggest the Raider Logo.

• Like 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Travis ... i did it to my garage in a house that i bought back in 2005.  Easy to do and turned out nice.

I’ve heard of people putting images underneath -- haven't seen one; but heard they look sharp ... i’d suggest the Raider Logo.

Black and Silver Paint was what I was thinking.

There are several brands and systems available out there, was just checking to see if anyone had one they liked.

I had a marine grade epoxy system professionally installed in my garage a few years ago.  Not something you get a local hardware store.  I believe the system was based on PPG products. Rather expensive, but worth every penny.  Floor looks today like it did when new.  I used a company called Custom Garage Works in DFW. 

• Like 1

Lady friend had the old cabinets from her kitchen reinstalled in the garage when she renovated the kitchen.  The epoxy floor finish was done by the painter who used a product Sherwin Williams sells.  Can't tell much from the file photo.  The floor cleans easily but will yellow with UV exposure.

IMG_2014.JPG

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Lady friend had the old cabinets from her kitchen reinstalled in the garage when she renovated the kitchen.  The epoxy floor finish was done by the painter who used a product Sherwin Williams sells.  Can't tell much from the file photo.  The floor cleans easily but will yellow with UV exposure.

IMG_2014.JPG

SW sells a urethane product in their line that will minimize the yellowing.   I think you can just clean and apply, no other prep and it will put a hold on the yellowing.  That is the one downside to epoxy, UV will yellow it if you don't put a protective top coat.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Rudy81 said:

I had a marine grade epoxy system professionally installed in my garage a few years ago.  Not something you get a local hardware store.  I believe the system was based on PPG products. Rather expensive, but worth every penny.  Floor looks today like it did when new.  I used a company called Custom Garage Works in DFW. 

Thanks Rudy.

I will see if they do business in Austin area, or have someone they recommend.

This has been the dilemma.  There is a very wide range of product available to do this.  From one box kits in Home Depot to 4 coat systems with chips that you can drive six x six military vehicles on.  They have epoxy floors you can be literally safe to eat off of.  

I am looking for something that will hold up to residential garage use, and have a nice shine.

Travis

Many times @dwilawyer!

One of the Sikkens self leveling two-part was the best I've used. Other companies make decent two part epoxies too, try finding a Devoe Industrial Coatings store in your area.

Follow the atmospheric instructions to a "T" dew point can make or break the whole thing.

So can improper prep, If you can clean it up well with bleach & TSP and a brush on an extension pole that could work maybe. Don't think you could acid etch that surface too well.

Have one guy cut in the edges and the other roll it out quickly so it doesn't flash. The self leveling stuff would be marvelous for the do-it-yourselfer!

If you got a similar color plus a good quality coating one coat could possibly do it.

If Northrop-Grumman liked it with one coat the Sikkens is GOOD!

• Like 1

Travis,

The floor I had installed is exactly what you are looking for based on your description.  I will try and post a picture of my floor when I get a chance.  As I indicated, the floor is as nice today as it was the day after they installed it.  This floor is bullet proof!  Cleaning it is a breeze, a little water and a squeegee. Tires are no match for the finish. I was told by the installer that the only thing that will damage the floor is dragging a heavy metal object, like a safe, across the finish.

I did away with my old cabinets and have everything in rolling Seville cabinets from Samsclub.  Best thing I ever did for organization and ease of cleaning and maintenance.

If you use the DIY stuff from the big box stores, you will likely regret it and have a bigger mess later....at least according to the horror stories on the Garage Journal site.

Good luck.

2 hours ago, Rudy81 said:

I did away with my old cabinets and have everything in rolling Seville cabinets from Samsclub

Interesting thought.

I'm just finishing up a bedroom remodel and my garage really needs to be the next project I tackle.  I'll be reading this thread with interest.

I had a new detached garage built so the cement was only about 10-12 months old. I mention this because I feel it was pretty clean to begin with. I cleaned with acid, did everything the instructions said to a Tee or is that T? Anyway 80-90% of the garage is great 10 years later...but you guessed it where the tires go the paint does not stay. Very depressed every time I look at it. I put so much time into the prep and painting. Holds up nicely to spills of antifreeze, oil, etc. It did get a little wavy when paint thinner spilled on it. If I had it to do over I would NOT.

This is what I used

EPOXYSHIELD®

Garage Floor Coating Tint Base

I looked into all this years ago before I pulled the trigger on our project.  I read many horror stories of guys who took the 'inexpensive, DIY' route and ended up regretting it.  Some folks end up spending more when they have to have the DIY stuff pulled up to clean up the mess.  Totally pulling up old epoxy is not very easy.

As far as the rolling cabinets, best thing I ever did.  Just a month ago I decided to rearrange the location of my cabinets and work table.  Took minutes to roll everything into place.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I have issues with efflorescence in my garage and wondered if sealing it would help, or if it would eventually just bubble up.

How old is your concrete floor? Does the efflorescence show up at the same time of year or the same rate? Do you use any type of acid etch or cleaner? Probably doesn't have a vapor barrier? Are there any drainage issues around? I know you live in a very humid climate, and that doesn't help.

If it's bad most people just live with it, but there are ways to help. A good cleaning and sealing it would help, or staining the concrete to help hide it. If you seal it, use an acrylic sealer, it will let the moisture through, epoxy or urethane sealers won't let the moisture through, and can cause the surface to burst if the pressure gets too high. An easy way to test your floor's moisture content is to tape down a piece of plastic, and let it set for 24 hours or so.

If you go the sealer route, get a good sealer used for colored concrete, it's much more durable, and will last for years. Most sealers for new concrete are curing compounds, and will wear off quicker. I've tried about every sealer available locally, and a company named Butterfield has given me the best results by far.

1 minute ago, Ceptorman said:

How old is your concrete floor? Does the efflorescence show up at the same time of year or the same rate? Do you use any type of acid etch or cleaner? Probably doesn't have a vapor barrier? Are there any drainage issues around? I know you live in a very humid climate, and that doesn't help.

It was poured in 1975.

I haven't detected a pattern as to when it shows up but yes, certainly some times are worse than others.  It's so bad in some spots that there are small divots in the concrete where the concrete has flaked off.  There's always a big white pile around that area.

No drainage issues but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if there was no plastic underneath as the garage is detached from the house and only connected by a covered walkway..