Sign in to follow this  
Schu

Othorn...

Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, with Othorn tapped subwoofer designs?

I’ve heard a pair with the ipal b&c woofers with a 12kw speaker power amp on them. They were absolutely insane. Only time I’ve ever been at a demo where i told the guy to turn it down because i actually felt like my ears were going to rupture or something. 

I have an Othorn with the original B&C driver that it was designed for....it's been so long I've forgotten the model number.

While the extreme output capabilities of this sub are undoubtedly impressive, it's the low signal level performance that has me intrigued. It doesn't sound like an SPL Monster at normal listening levels....and that's a good thing. I had given up on tapped horns until I saw the measurements of the Othorn - it doesn't have that characteristic ringing that all other tapped horns have. Being gone in the measurements is one thing, but I wanted to see if it was gone in real life too....which it totally was. The tapped horns have always been impressive form a bang for the buck and SPL perspective, but the quality has always left me lacking.....until the Othorn came around. In the upper octaves (like 40Hz to 80Hz or even up to 150Hz), it is comparable (better in my opinion) to the Khorn/Jubilee/Lascala.....but even better is that it adds an extra octave of depth that the big Klipsch designs don't do. It's totally effortless and unexaggerated - when there's bass in the material, then it's there like you've never heard before. And when it's not there, then it struts along all refined like without introducing any sloppiness.

I think some movie buffs and a few dubstep fanatics might feel the 10Hz region is a bit lacking, but I'm not willing to give up audible 20Hz to 80Hz performance in exchange for pressurization of my room. Don't get me wrong, I love to jam out to loud music and make my vision blur from insane SPL (which you can get with the Othorn), but chest crushing loud SPL gets old after a while....so I find myself settling back into more sane listening levels. And it's just reality that you can't hear/perceive ultra low frequency information unless it's loud.

All that to say, there is some preference involved, but if terms like fidelity and accuracy end up in your decision criteria, then I don't think you can do better than an Othorn. I also don't want to imply the low frequency performance is lacking either....the dance parties I've held in my basement have been insane, and I've only ever had about 800W available on the amplifier side of things.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrWho said:

I have an Othorn with the original B&C driver that it was designed for....it's been so long I've forgotten the model number.

While the extreme output capabilities of this sub are undoubtedly impressive, it's the low signal level performance that has me intrigued. It doesn't sound like an SPL Monster at normal listening levels....and that's a good thing. I had given up on tapped horns until I saw the measurements of the Othorn - it doesn't have that characteristic ringing that all other tapped horns have. Being gone in the measurements is one thing, but I wanted to see if it was gone in real life too....which it totally was. The tapped horns have always been impressive form a bang for the buck and SPL perspective, but the quality has always left me lacking.....until the Othorn came around. In the upper octaves (like 40Hz to 80Hz or even up to 150Hz), it is comparable (better in my opinion) to the Khorn/Jubilee/Lascala.....but even better is that it adds an extra octave of depth that the big Klipsch designs don't do. It's totally effortless and unexaggerated - when there's bass in the material, then it's there like you've never heard before. And when it's not there, then it struts along all refined like without introducing any sloppiness.

I think some movie buffs and a few dubstep fanatics might feel the 10Hz region is a bit lacking, but I'm not willing to give up audible 20Hz to 80Hz performance in exchange for pressurization of my room. Don't get me wrong, I love to jam out to loud music and make my vision blur from insane SPL (which you can get with the Othorn), but chest crushing loud SPL gets old after a while....so I find myself settling back into more sane listening levels. And it's just reality that you can't hear/perceive ultra low frequency information unless it's loud.

All that to say, there is some preference involved, but if terms like fidelity and accuracy end up in your decision criteria, then I don't think you can do better than an Othorn. I also don't want to imply the low frequency performance is lacking either....the dance parties I've held in my basement have been insane, and I've only ever had about 800W available on the amplifier side of things.

Can you further expound on the "ringing" phenomenon you experience with tapped designs?

Ringing is just a nasty resonance, according to the data bass link provided above it looks like it could possibly be helped by crossing it low enough. This would need to be confirmed by actual testing and i don't have one.

With regard to port tuned enclosures, ringing is a peaky resonance that can be possibly corrected by lowering or raising the frequency of the tuned port/ports, or attenuated through the use of damping. (like polyfil, etc..)

In all my research of tapped horns, that is the first time I have heard the "ringing" resonant comment associated with them. 

I have always heard accurate, tight, extended... but not ringing.

I hate ringing and beaming as a characteristic, now I'm scared.

20 hours ago, Schu said:

I hate ringing and beaming as a characteristic, now I'm scared.

I'd trust Drwho's evaluation and not worry about it.  I think Amazon has the driver for about 600.