Becareful of what you ask for, you just might get it.

m00n

Ok, I wanted more sub, so I bought an extra sub, my RSW-15. Well, I now have a major problems. My neighbor, who works at InFocus, asked me if I was watching movies last night. Said yes, he said tought so. Could hear it and not only hear it but feel it. Now that would not suprise me if he lived right next door, but he lives accross the street and down a little drive way that is about 150 feet. Total distance is approx 250 feet from my sub to his door.

Between his house and my sub is, well, one wall, our house, a street, trees, and another house kind of off to the side. So, it's not like it's a direct shot to his house from my subs.

Now you may be thinking to yourself WOW. But I am thining to myself, uh-oh... 6.gif. Outiside of the obvious turning it down, what can I do to keep the sound waves from bursting right though my movie hut and out to his house and all the neighbors directly next and behind me? The walls are 2X6 with insulation already and sheetrocked. I have a feeling that having a vaulted ceiling can't be helping matters either. I don't suspect that there is any insulation between the sheetrock on the ceiling and the tin roof. Will putting up drapes on the wall help all that much? I plan on putting up some felt on the walls haning it like draps giving it a pleeted, texture for the lack of a better term...

Any ideas are gladly welcome! 4.gif

Moon,

First let me ask you how thick are the cardboard walls of your shack. 3.gif Next how thin is the plastic covering your plaintif is using as side panels.

I know sub bass travels well(just take an example from sub woofaz on wheels cars on the streets)but give me a break.Unless you have a dozen SVS Ultras powered by six big Krell amps the neighbor is on crak(would this be an alien from outer space?).

Do you live in the city? If is in a remote place where few cars pass and its quiet its possible the said neighbor heard your system(sub).This is if his and your house are built on very unstable ground,walls are so weak even a slow moving 120MPH wind could blow your houses away and windows were open in both houses.And yes and wind was blowing from your direction towards his/hers,in othger words he/she would smell your fart if you unleashed one after eating a delicious ForrestHump burrrito(with 3 r's).

2.gif

Ear...

Well, the building has 2x6 walls as I was saying, it's on a concrete slab. I think all that there is, is this,

Paint

sheetrock

some insulation

tin siding

air

We live in the suburbs and it was about 10:30 through 12:00 ish when he could hear it. The street is not all that well traveled.

I dunno, he swears he could hear it. I have no reason to doubt him. All I know is that I HAVE GOT TO DO SOMETHING about it or I am going to start having lots of complaints. 15.gif

lol, you should see the neibors near me. They call almost daily telling me to turn it down, so, I went and looked up the sound level restrictions for minneapolis, and went out and got a SPL meter. Measured it and found I was about 7 db within the law. So, the next time they called, I said "I have a sound meter out right now, you can come check it if you want", and she was just like "grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!" and slammed down the receiver.

j-malotky

Your very close to being on track with what I am thinking. I am seriously thinking about firing out the two end walls. One wall has my screen, and speakers, the other end wall has a big (4X8'approx) window, approx. What I was thinking was, removing the window and sealing it up so that it is just a wall. Then, on each end of the room, build an aditional 2X6 fir outs. Pack the crap out of it with insulation. That would make:

Paint

Sheetrock

Insulation

Paint

Sheetrock

Insulation

Tin

Air

That probably would not stop all of the bass, but it would have to help a lot.

Then there is the vaulted ceiling. I don't even know if there is insulation between the sheetrock and tin. I can easily see building a ceiling in that room now...

Damn lots of work needs to be done to sound proof this room.

So I called a local high end home theater installer this afternoon. What they told me was I was going to have to do was to build disjoint walls on the interier of the theater. He said I need an air gap between the exisiting exterier walls and an inner wall.

That sucks cause I just got everything setup in my theater about a month ago and I am just now able to enjoy things. Now it looks like I have to tear it all up again to build some dummy walls. 15.gif

Well sence were on this topic. Moon, what subs did you have running. Is it just 2 RSW 15s. I was thinking of doing the same thing, but after what I just read, I think just one would be fine. Its bad enought my parents tell me to turn it down, I don't need naboors complaining(althought it would be fun to have that kinda power). By the way, that kinda sucks you have to use fake walls. I heard somewhere you can put installation where sound doesnt come out of the room. This is good for 2 reasons. Better efficentcy also meaning less power to get the same effect which in return means less annoce to others. But I have a feeling this will only somewhat deaden the power you have.

What about filling your walls with foam?

Normally used for home insulation, the expanding foam stuff would PROBABLY do a lot to dampen sound. It is somewhat cheap.

Also, build another wall inside your room. That is how REAL home theaters are done. Expensive and disruptice, yes, but it should work well.

Well, all I know is that i am NOT so much as cutting one board until I have a full game plan in place. I want to know exctly how my lights are going to be setup, the shape of the ceiling, blah blah blah....

And yes, I am running both RSW12 and RSW15 together... They sound awesome together. They compliment each other.

Don't boubt your neighbor. A year ago I lived across the street and up one house from a guy the had a home theater system. Everytime that guy played music we could feel the bass in my house not less then 100-120' away. I had a Velodyne HGS 12 at the time and I was convinced that they had an 18" killer sub of some sort. Oneday I saw the guy out front and I asked him what kind of subwoofer he had as we could feel it at our place. He claimed to have some cheap 12" Radio Shack sub and that was all. If he was telling the truth I would imagine that your neighbor is very aware of subs of your magnitude when played.

----------------

On 10/1/2002 3:14:21 PM Voodoo chile wrote:

What about a bass corner trap? Try checking these out.

I don't know if they will work, but it could be worth a shot.

V

----------------

Hey I looked at some of their stuff. Some of it looks rather cool. I would assume if you put that all over your walls and ceiling you would have a very dead room. Is that something you want?

mOOn,

Well yes, if you put it on all walls and ceiling you would have a VERY dead room. But you wouldn't want that unless you were doing voice recordings or something2.gif .

With those bass traps you are supposed to put them in strategic locations in the room (not covering the whole room). Now where those positions would be in your room I'm not sure. But corners do increase bass frequencies.

Perhaps you could contact them and they could make suggestions? Also, there might be an acoustic design firm in your town that could help?

V

What about doing what all the expensive theaters have in them, like where symphonies play. Carpet the walls or put foam on them. That absorbs the sound and doesn't let the sound bounce off the walls. I should actually make your system sound better. Unlike Bose which thinks sound should bounce off of walls.

----------------

On 10/2/2002 11:50:55 AM zandern wrote:

What about doing what all the expensive theaters have in them, like where symphonies play. Carpet the walls or put foam on them. That absorbs the sound and doesn't let the sound bounce off the walls. I should actually make your system sound better. Unlike Bose which thinks sound should bounce off of walls.

----------------

I was actually planning on haning material on the walls. I had been thinking of using a felt material. In the spirit of DIY, I was going to make a patter with the felt by nailing to the top of the walls a wavy wood slats that go underneath that fiberglass roofing material. But now that I think about it, I don't think those had enough wave to them. Half way dow the wall I would imagine that the material would be flattene out. Hmm.... Have to think more on this.