Cornwall 3's vs RF 7iii

RLink

Was just about ready to purchase a new pair of Cornwall 3's until I saw the specs on the NEW RF 7 3's.  Any help is much appreciated on what may be the better of the two?   The price is getting closer and the specs are similar.   Unfortunately in today's world, it's hard to go to a dealer and take a listen to both of them on display.

Still, any assistance is helpful and thank you.............Rich.

I've heard owners that had both CW-iii and RF7-ii, and most of them feel the CW was just slightly "better".   It looks to me like the new RF7 will be notably improved.  The horn looks larger and similar to the RP-series which has been applauded, and it has two tractrix ports, one for each woofer.   I think it's possible that the consensus will be that the RF7-iii is equal or better than the CW-iii, but they are very different speakers, and the better choice may depend on the layout of the room.

I'm excited to hear impressions on the RF7-iii. 

right off the top this is really about two way Vs three way and your preference (or not) and what you want you use as an amplifier and what you expect the speakers to do.

A pair of tens will not push as much air as a single fifteen inch woofer will but the RF tens will play lower than the fifteen of the Cornwall 3. The Cornwall will be a lot more friendly to small SET type amplifiers than the RF will, they (the RF) will do better with a lot more power not that you won't get them to play with 2 -3 watts they will and they will play at decent levels it's just that they were designed to have more and respond well to more power. Both speakers have strengths and both have weaknesses (they all do) you just need to make some lists and decide which traits are most important to you and you will be able to make an easy decision after you do that. Both speakers are viable options you are the deciding factor.

• Like 2

I'm with moray on that assesment.  I'd venture to say that if you're using these for a music I'd go with Cornwalls,  I'd do  RF7's for home theater, or if you're using a 100+ watt SS amp.

Go with the RF7-iii though, somebody needs to be let us all know how they sound :P

Have you considered the KLF30 and the CF4? Both are dual twelve inch woofer cabinets. A pair of twelve inch woofers push the same amount of air a 1 1/2 fifteen inch woofers do. I think that a refurbished set of KLF30 with all ti drivers and fresh caps would blow you away. Add to that the cost savings and you have a good deal. Worth your consideration.