HD Wireless and HDR Video

melodibit

I just purchased a new Apple TV 4K and have it plugged in to HDMI 1 on the HD Wireless hub. While 4K connectivity works, I'm not able to pass an HDR signal through the hub to the TV. If I plug my Apple TV directly in to my LG TV it works fine. I did a little digging, and from what I'm seeing HDR requires HDMI 2.0a, but the specs on the RP-HUB1 only show it supporting HDMI 2.0. Am I missing anything, or is it true the hub will not pass through HDR content? Has anybody else run into this? If so, it seems like quite a limitation. Perhaps something that will be addressed in a firmware update?

• 2 weeks later...

See the marketing for the system here:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/reference-premiere-hd-wireless?model=hd-control-center#

It states, "Klipsch has created the first ever future-proof wireless home theater system..."

Additionally Mark Casavant is on the following video stating that, "We realize that enthusiasts are the ones that go in to new technology. We are going to reinforce that purchase decision. If there are any firmware upgrades as this technology evolves, or even hardware—so the hub. If down the road we need to provide a new hub because of the evolution, we will support consumers with a free upgrade—firmware or hardware on the hub side."

Fast forward to 5:21.

This seems to add up to a promise to support industry standards such as HDMI 2.0a with HDR signal passthrough. We set that conventional AVR vendors do just that:

https://hdguru.com/denon-unveils-hdmi-2-0a-updateable-entry-avr/

Here we see Denon—in 2015!—releasing a firmware update to their $230 receiver to support HDMI 2.0a. Denon says the upgrade is "a very small EVID communication change".

Guys, this HD wireless system was marketed as a "future-proof" replacement for the AVR. Am I unreasonable in thinking that supporting HDMI 2.0a counts as part of your promise to "future proof" the system? What are Klipsch's plans here?

• Like 1

I'm having the same issue.  I got the new 4K AppleTV.  In the Apple settings I was trying to set it to 4K HDR and it kept telling me I had incorrect cables.  I knew this wasn't the case.  So like you I ran directly from the Apple box to my TV and it pop up automatically "Would you like to set your format to 4K Dolby Vision".  My Vizio has that capability and of course the Apple Tv does.  That's great.  Even better than the 4k HDR I was wanting but....  That's only directly from Apple to the Tv.  Like you once I go through the Klipch hub I loose that.  Nothing HDR.  It will do 4K SDR.  It was bad enough that the Klipch hub doesn't have 4K capabilities to all 4 HDMI.  I had to pick which 4K I wanted. I have Directv, Apple Tv, Amazon Fire and all have 4K programming but the Klipsch hub only has 1 HDMI for 4K.  I choose the Apple Tv for that because I access Youtube there as well as movies.  Come on Klipsch.  If a software update won't fix this lets get busy with new hardware.  You are way behind.  The industry is providing content that can't be used with your equipment.  I would hook my 4K Denon receiver back up but these sweet speakers won't work with anything other than the Hub.  I know, I know.  I should have stayed wired and I wouldn't be having this problem.  The speakers sound amazing but as a stand alone receiver it is severally lacking. On related not a have a Klipsch Wireless HD system I would sell at a greatly reduced price :-)  Pretty much worthless unless you only listen to music.

I'm looking into buying the HD Wireless System right now but have heard from a few vendors selling Klipsch that the HD Wireless is being discontinued and a new Wireless Product is to come out sometime in Jan/Feb 2018.  Has anyone heard this?  The lack of response from Klipsh on this forum is concerning since they are selling a very expensive premium product and it's obvious form these posts it's not up to current standards with so many of us having new 4k HDR TVs, XBOX One X 4k and Nvidia Shield 4k.  I would like to hear from Klipsh what are the plans to resolve the current limitations or I will be taking my money shortly and ordering my Home Theater from https://axiim.com or Sonos.  Hope to hear back shortly 

Klipsch, what's the plan for this? Even if the answer is that there is going to be a firmware or hardware update sometime next year, that's fine. I know CES is next month. If the word is wait till then for news, that's fine too.

It's just that right now it seems like there is no plan whatsoever to address the HDMI 2.0a situation, and I can't believe that is the case for a system not even quite 2 years old.

For a system that was expensive and marketed as future-proof, staying silent on what seems to be an absolutely mandatory upgrade to prevent obsolescence doesn't seem an acceptable response for your customers who have invested a lot of money AND faith in you to support your products.

Crickets, crickets.  If they debut a new HD Wireless system that isn't compatible with the current one that is only 2 years old without addressing these  issues that will be so uncool.  I'm an Arkansas guy.  We can't get any response from Klipsch, fine.  I'm thinking a road trip to Hope is in order for a little face to face time.  Sorry that sounded bad.  Didn't mean it that way.  What I meant was if nobody at Klipsch wants to respond to the HD Wireless issues I'm close enough to corporate I'll make the drive and have them tell me in person that you bought a $4K system that is pretty much worthless and we won't be making it right.

I'm planning to buy this wireless system, but I'm very concerned about if the HDR signal can pass to HDR TV through RP-HUB1 HD CONTROL CENTER. If the answer is not, I have to give up this wireless system. Why the Klipsch company has not any word on this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

CES 2018 came and went with no mention of the existing Reference Premiere HD Wireless, an upgrade to it, or a replacement for it:

http://www.klipsch.com/ces-2018

If you check Google or Amazon, it's tough to even find an in-stock 5.1 system.

Klipsch themselves only have the bookshelves and the control unit for sale:

http://www.klipsch.com/hd-wireless-speakers

It's really looking like they discontinued the line, are clearing inventory, abandoned support, and are too embarrassed to admit all of this publicly. If my take on this is wrong, I'd love for Klipsch to correct me.

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...