Can a Klipsch speaker meet Dolby’s dispersion requirement for atmos?

yepimonfire

If you read the Dolby Atmos home theater paper, it states that ceiling speakers should have a 90 degree dispersion pattern out to 10khz. Many have commented with woes finding a speaker with such a wide pattern, necessitating aiming of speakers and a fairly narrow range of decent seats in a home theater.

Since Klipsch gives a 90x90 dispersion spec with their speakers, I decided to test out whether or not they could meet atmos specs.

I mounted an R-14m speaker flush to the ceiling, and placed the mic 45 degrees off axis vertically and horizontally 6’ away, and ran a sweep up to 20khz. A 3ms window was applied to remove reflections from the measurements.

Oddly enough, the windowing caused a strange jump around 600hz, which should be ignored.

7221f8991fceac8b40eb2a583e994342.jpg

As you can see from the graph, the speaker manages -3dB off axis all the way out to 13khz, exceeding the requirements.

If one is considering ceiling speakers for atmos, where a large number of seats off axis vertically are concerned, Klipsch just might be a good solution.

Anyone else know of any wide dispersion speakers that can meet Dolby’s specs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

klipsch describes all of their speakers with horns as far as directivity and coverage

90 lateral and 60 vertical is quite popular as is 90 x 90

Yup, but just because a horn has a nominal pattern doesn’t mean it’s constant with frequency. All of the reference stuff I’ve measured displays constant directivity, the premier and icon “reference” is even better than the II series.

klipsch describes all of their speakers with horns as far as directivity and coverage

90 lateral and 60 vertical is quite popular as is 90 x 90

Yup, but just because a horn has a nominal pattern doesn’t mean it’s constant with frequency. All of the reference stuff I’ve measured displays constant directivity, the premier and icon “reference” is even better than the II series.

• 2 months later...
On 10.11.2017 at 11:05 AM, yepimonfire said:

So which Bookshelf would you according to your measurements recommend for Atmos on ceiling duty? Would you let them fire down in a straight line or angle them to the MLP?