Cornwall I upgrade to Cornscala

Emile

Have had my Cornwall I's for almost 40 years and love them. But ... "community" thinks the La Scala's sound better. So; found a pair and "almost" bought them (haven't yet as they are overpriced :( ) Then, ran into discussions about Bob Crites' Cornscala's which seem to combine the "superior" sound of the La Scala's with the "superior" bass of the Cornwall's.

So; question is can I "upgrade" my Cornwall's to these Cornscala's?  (Example http://www.critesspeakers.com/cornscala-style-b.html )  Major difference is the much larger mid range horns on the Cornscala's ( Selenium D405 midrange drivers with M2380 horns; and possibly a change of the crossovers to Crites' 500/5000's). Emailed Dr. Bob about changing the motorboard and he said ... best to " built from scratch in my opinion to have all really fit right."

Appreciate your thoughts/inputs.

Cheers, Emile

PS ... pic of Cornscala B front

csstyleba

add-on

Just got another reply from Dr. Bob ...

QOUTE

,I am in the process of having a version of the original K-600 Cornwall horns made for me right now.  So far have had the pattern made and it has been sent to a foundry for them to cast the horns in aluminum.  I will be testing that horn when I get samples with the A-55G drivers on it.  So, in the future, I may have a way for you to upgrade the midrange in your Cornwalls by replacing horn and driver.

UNQOUTE

• Like 1

I've been thinking about doing the same on my Cornwall 1's, but am too scared to start cutting the motorboard :D.  I'm not sure I follow Bob's reply....I'm assuming his 'new'  K-600 horn will better the original somehow (in combo with the A-55G)?  Any insight or knowledge from others here on this subject would be appreciated (I'm pretty new here too).  Thanks!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Emile said:

Emailed Dr. Bob about changing the motorboard and he said ... best to " built from scratch in my opinion to have all really fit right."

9 minutes ago, mj452312 said:

I've been thinking about doing the same on my Cornwall 1's, but am too scared to start cutting the motorboard :D.  I'm not sure I follow Bob's reply....I'm assuming his 'new'  K-600 horn will better the original somehow (in combo with the A-55G)?  Any insight or knowledge from others here on this subject would be appreciated (I'm pretty new here too).  Thanks!

Hope this helps. Having the tools and the ability to use them a plus and a must. There are owners here that have done this, and fairly recently too.

A good search helps with good results at times.:emotion-21:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, billybob said:

A good search helps with good results at times

billybob,

Yes; did not do a very good job searching :(  But now I have gone through a million of posts on this subject and learned a lot :) Unfortunately not enough to make a decision :(

Cheers, Emile

37 minutes ago, mj452312 said:

am too scared to start cutting the motorboard

Yeah; know how you feel :)  And ... if you are looking at the Fastrac's remember it is $525 for the horns ONLY - you use your existing driver :(  Almost tempted to buy a pair of Bob Crites' Cornscala's but really don't have extra room for these (if I want to keep my Cornwall's and my other 12 Klipsch speakers).

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Emile said:

billybob,

Yes; did not do a very good job searching :(  But now I have gone through a million of posts on this subject and learned a lot :) Unfortunately not enough to make a decision :(

Cheers, Emile

Not an authority on search but sometimes info there.

As to knowing just what Bob was talking about from scratch, has me abit stumped as to meaning. Certainly, there has been good ground up speaker builds here. There is a 2 way version of a Cornscala like, think with a Faital horn. Have seen scratch build of LaScala and a Cornscala as well as recall by a member @jhoak . The gentleman did some real swell work, IMO. Going from memory so...

As to anyone's ability to do so, would think skills already present, or would not likely be considering taking on the task. So yes, clarification when in doubt. Sure Bob would clarify his meaning, and thinking that although busy, he always takes time to do so. 

BTW, Bob can speak for himself,  Cool!

You could do a search on the member I mentioned, and his build MAY still be around after the move(s) to the new forum.

Certainly a Cornscala built by Bob C., a desireable creation to consider after the DD or due diligence.:emotion-21:

(In my very limited opinion)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, billybob said:

his build MAY still be around after the move(s) to the new forum

Yes, found it. But no pics left :( Seems the switch to the new forum dropped a lot of pics (as well as people not updating 3rd party pic servers).

Cheers, Emile

• Sad 1

BTW, here is a link to his LaScala thread where the pics are intact. As you can see, he did some superb work according to other members.

Certainly worth a look as, some points in technique transferable to other builds. Met Jeff in his home one evening for a sit-down and some sudio talk from him. Accomadating and classy guy about 50 miles SE of Tampa at the time. Hope they load for you too.:emotion-21:

• Thanks 1

I also have cornwall 1’s that a friend is letting me use until I build my cornscalla’s.

I bought the crities a55g mid drivers & they are awesome with the stock cast horns. I’ve also auditioned a pair of emenance kappa 15c woofers & big improvement to the bass. just ordered a pair of the eliptrac hf tweeter horns. all of thes upgrades can be done with no cabinet mods & still use stock crossovers. if you don’t like what you hear you can easily resell those parts & go back to the original setup

• Like 1

hi Schu, not sure if yours is a blanket statement or meant as a retort to my previous post.

to elaborate a bit more, we used a song by supertramp & one by the police (both with complex bass lines) listened a couple times with stock subs & then switched to the kappa’s... the difference was stunning, bass was tighter, more defined & seemed to dig deeper. very impressive results for $300