My New Quartets

Peter P.

Yeah; I caught the Klipsch bug, big time, and it's barely been two years!

When I first started this addiction, I had my heart set on a pair of Forte's. Along the way, I got sidetracked by the history and reputation of the Heritage Series, so my first Klipsch's were Heresy II's. I really overpaid for them, but once I get my mind on a path, it's stuck, so I didn't flinch when the first decent pair came up for sale. Only after I bought them did I pay attention to the forum and see that they had a reputation of being a little "light" in the bass, and of course the forum was right. But the bass was tight, and they were beasts when I turned up the volume.

That got me thinking about the twinky speakers I have in the basement (Bose 161's) and their anemic bass. I quested for and found a Klipsch kg subwoofer. Worked like a charm. Now I started thinking about buying another one for my Heresy's, but the kg subwoofer is rare as hen's teeth. Who knows how long I'd have to wait until one came available?

The more I thought about it, Forte's would be too large for my living space but lo' and behold, Forte's have a little brother in the Quartet. The idea of owning a pair festered in my brain.

Until tonight. Long story short, I paid $250 for a pair of Quartets locally. Some water damage to the veneer on the tops, and some of the drivers' screws show signs of rust but otherwise they're fine enough for used speakers and for what I paid.

But honestly, listening to them now, they're TOO MUCH. These things dig deep into the bass but it's certainly not "false bass"; I had to drop the 36, 60, and 120Hz equalizer settings to -6dB and they're still crushing it. These things are just crazy. I live in a condo and as far as I quizzed my neighbors, they never heard my Heresy's. The Quartets however...I might just be "pissing off the neighbors" as the T-shirt says.

I'm already thinking of flipping this purchase and downsizing. Any suggestions? Hold out for a kg subwoofer? Kg4's?

IMG_3015.jpg

• Thanks 1

Keep the Quartets! You’ll be sorry if you let them go.

Your Klipsch journey started just like mine lol

Over paid for Heresys, just like you. Tried them with a sub but they just didn’t do it for me. Since went to KG 3.2s to 3.5s to KG 4s KG 5.5s to my beloved Fortes and I hate to admit it I’m looking for Cornwall’s!

Enjoy those Quartets and don’t be so quick to let them go 😊

• Thanks 1

What he said.^^^ Although have not had the pleasure of having the famed Quartets, you are making me rethink. Nice stories! 

By all means, do try the KG-4. Was never disappointed in the 2 way, especially in the bass dept. 

Having my Chorus and this forum, to help me decide, I nevertheless strayed from the start. It has all been a good experience.

If you can find what you want early on well, sounds like plans in place. Focus helps, yet, there are more Klipsch along the way.

Happy for you both Congrats:emotion-21:

I'm sure it's quite possible the rear passive radiator could be mitigated if I could move the speakers farther away from the wall, but the Quartets would just crowd the room. Mind you, I don't consider the bass boomy or overemphasized, it's just these things are beasts in producing what bass is already there. Does that make any sense?!

I was in the basement tonight working out, listening to my stereo with the kg subwoofer. It's parked in a corner. I could hear this buzz or rattle and could not believe the subwoofer was reaching the limits of the drivers' excursion. So I'm poking around trying to confirm my suspicions when I discover it's not the subwoofer that's rattling, it's the basement window ABOVE the subwoofer!

I caved. I sold my Quartets after owning them only 5 days!

No doubt about it; they had every quality of a Klipsch speaker and I loved them. But I couldn't get out of my head that they were a bit "too large" acoustically and physically.

I was prepared to keep them so here's what I did: I posted both the Quartets and my Heresy II's on Craigslist. I would keep the pair that didn't sell first.

I offered the Quartets for what I paid, $250. I posted both pair Saturday morning. Came home at 8PM and had half a dozen people in line to take them. Couldn't blame them one bit.

First respondent comes over and you should have seen the smile light up his face when he heard them-just priceless. It was a pleasure to give him such joy.

The funny thing is, as I was setting up my stereo for the demo, I turned off the equalizer and other tone controls and the Quartets sounded more like keepers and I was beginning to have regrets!

Oh; and I had one bite on the Heresy II's at my firm price of $500. Had they gone instead...what could have been.

So I'm back in the market albeit for something smaller such as the kg4's or the kg subwoofer.

Thanks for reading.

On 11/8/2017 at 10:45 PM, Peter P. said:

Kg4's?

Peter, I have a pair of KG4's (with Crites' diaphragms) and LOVE them. Have them stacked on top of Forte I's and think they are just as good. :)  Even "close" to my Cornwall's ... but admit I never compared them "side by side."

Cheers, Emile