Forte II vs RP280FA for movies

ftgf

17 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

FTGF....can you do both?

I planned on keeping the Fortes even if I did go 280s. I would have to put them in a different room but I prefer where they are. I just wanted to know what would provide a superior experience. 

I have found most Klipsch speakers do surprisingly well for home theater, even the older KG line (which can usually be found for ridiculously cheap prices) can sound fantastic for TV / movies. Music on the other hand takes a little more effort and nicer / higher end speakers to get great sound IME anyways. 

• Like 1

On 11/9/2017 at 3:02 PM, Tarheel said:

Welcome to the forum!  Nice set up!

On 11/9/2017 at 4:05 PM, willland said:

ftgf,

Welcome to the forum.

If you call all that in the photo "humble", I would love to see what awesome is to you.:unsure:  Your setup sure looks pretty awesome.

Bill

Thanks guys appreciate it. 

On 11/9/2017 at 1:25 PM, ftgf said:

My first post on here! Right now I have a humble Stereo setup with a pair of Forte IIs. <snip>

IMG_20170725_190516 re.jpg

I wish that my 'humble' setup was that nice. :wub:

First, what Marantz is that?

Second, the Forte have magical sounds in them ...if they are set up right. Not sure how far off the wall, how far apart or how anything else yours are. I moved the ones I had until they were "right"...it really did make a difference for 2 channel. 

15 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I wish that my 'humble' setup was that nice. :wub:

First, what Marantz is that?

Second, the Forte have magical sounds in them ...if they are set up right. Not sure how far off the wall, how far apart or how anything else yours are. I have moved the ones I had until they were "right"...it really did make a difference for 2 channel. 

Thanks! I do enjoy this setup it sounds very good with the Fortes. 

They Marantz is a 2250B it's a nice receiver. I had it running some Heresy IIs in a second system. Sounded decent. 

I'm always messing around with placement. They are about a foot off the back wall right now with a small toe in. The system is taken apart right now because I just put up a tv and deciding where to go from there. 

• Like 1

I had Forte with the RF 7 II and 7 I's.  They were so close that I came to a decision to there was no need for both.  I went with the Reference line and have not looked back and have no regrets.  The Forte I and II are great speakers but, it is easier to just get a total package withthe Reference or RP line.  This way you don't have to worry about XO upgrades, driver ware or cabinet problems.

• Like 2

I tell you what I went from my Crites modded HIP's to the RF-7 II's and could not believe the lack of detail out of the 7's in comparison it was night and day, really took some time to get over but it eventually wore off and I settled in to the 7's for awhile. The Chorus II's with Crites crossovers and titanium tweeters are extremely detailed as well, the Reference stuff just can't compete with the Heritage or extended Heritage speakers for music if inner details and extreme clarity are important to you, from my experiences anyway.

On 11/10/2017 at 5:57 AM, Frzninvt said:

Why would you recommend a totally mis-matched center speaker.  The RC would stick out like a sore thumb timbre' wise between a pair of Forte's use the correct center another Forte or the Academy that was designed to match.

On more than one occasion, I have Reese's Cupped missmatched speakers, and they complimented each other nicely. One such mongrel was ADS L880 and Pioneer HPM500. The High Polymer Molecular tweeters with the L880 made a sound stage that was just that: music didn't come from the speakers, it made a stage. Believe it or not, a forum member here has 3 LaScala with 4 fifteen inch RF series subs. 

1 hour ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Believe it or not, a forum member here has 3 LaScala with 4 fifteen inch RF series subs. 

Having heard that setup by @YouthmanI can attest the front La Scala w/subs sound stage behind that 120" screen is seamless.  It has been tuned to the nth degree and the sound is as good as I've ever heard, certainly better than my local cinema.

I will now argue the other side of the coin. B)

I am a believer you should get the best center speaker you can find.  "Timbre matching" mains with the center speaker is overrated IMO. 

The key is to get quality speakers for L/C/R.  If you have mediocre L/R mains with 3" woofers, timbre matching to a center with 3 woofers will not help.  Get the best center you can get.  Get an RC-64, it will do nothing but enhance your L/C/R sound stage.

An argument commonly made is that panning across the L/C/R is from one side to the other sounds mismatched.  In my experience, that doesn't happen.  And even if it did, most modern AVR's with Audyssey or other room correction can make them play nice together.

In real life 90% of movies is dialog, and 90% of dialog comes out of the center speaker.  It's more common for dialog to come out of the center while music comes out of the L/R.  Ambient sounds like birds chirping and background gun shots come out of the surrounds, generally speaking.

Using the best center you can get is a philosophy, not a fact.  It is my opinion based on my listening experiences.  Other opinions are just as valid, IMO.  Each person should decide for himself.

7 minutes ago, Youthman said:

Mixing Reference subs with heritage LCR is much different than mixing series between  your mains and Center.

@wvu80 it’s actually a 150” Screen.  😉

LOL!  What's 30 inches between friends?  :lol:

Your point about mixing series is well taken and I would also make the point your La Scala center is a high quality center.  I contend if one put a LS between two (for instance) RF-7's, you would have a great L/C/R front sound stage.

Your La Scala L/C/R sounds great because of the hard work and many hours you have put in refining your sound.  

So change of plans. Moving the Fortes to a different room to keep a dedicated 2.0 system. I wish I had room for some Cornwalls and a heresy center. So I was thinking a Hersey III LCR. Or is that crazy? Or should I just do the RP line and call it a day?