Forte II vs RP280FA for movies

ftgf

My first post on here! Right now I have a humble Stereo setup with a pair of Forte IIs. I'm looking for a home theater setup. I was looking at a full RP line 5.2.2 setup but then I was thinking with an amp switcher I could use my Fortes for both music and movies. Center channel is the trick but I guess I would go with an academy. I would go with r140sa for atmos and rp250s for rears. I have read countless threads on here but still don't feel like I have a conclusive answer on this. Which way for movies would be more satisfying? 

Thanks!

Don't mind the placement this has been moved around 100x already.

IMG_20170725_190516 re.jpg

Edited by ftgf
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ftgf said:

My first post on here! Right now I have a humble Stereo setup with a pair of Forte IIs. I'm looking for a home theater setup. I was looking at a full RP line 5.2.2 setup but then I was thinking with an amp switcher I could use my Fortes for both music and movies. Center channel is the trick but I guess I would go with an academy. I would go with r140sa for atmos and rp250s for rears. I have read countless threads on here but still don't feel like I have a conclusive answer on this. Which way for movies would be more satisfying? 

Thanks!

Don't mind the placement this has been moved around 100x already.

IMG_20170725_190516 re.jpg

Welcome to the forum!  Nice set up!

• Like 3

I use forte IIs at the corners with an academy center.  With more room I would put in a forte center and rear.  You should go with a timbre matched set to get the best results, either all forte IIs and the extended heritage line, or the other for movies, HT applications.  Definitely keep the forte II's though no matter what.

• Like 1

ftgf,

Welcome to the forum.

2 hours ago, ftgf said:

My first post on here! Right now I have a humble Stereo setup with a pair of Forte IIs.

If you call all that in the photo "humble", I would love to see what awesome is to you.:unsure:  Your setup sure looks pretty awesome.

Bill

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Grizzog said:

Keep the Fortes. The RC-64II works great with them also.

I've had RP280s and RF-7IIs. Although they're both great, the heritage/extended-heritage is still better. 

I've got Chorus II with the RC-64II and am quite happy.

Why would you recommend a totally mis-matched center speaker.  The RC would stick out like a sore thumb timbre' wise between a pair of Forte's use the correct center another Forte or the Academy that was designed to match.

Why would you recommend a totally mis-matched center speaker.  The RC would stick out like a sore thumb timbre' wise between a pair of Forte's use the correct center another Forte or the Academy that was designed to match.

Ever tried it?

I enjoy when people comment on things when they haven't experienced them themselves. Had this conversation before. I've been a musician for 30 years and have perfect pitch. To me, they work great with each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

I don't have to try it.  You must have hearing loss then because it would be obvious with back and forth pans across the front stage.  I have tried and heard many center speakers but the best one is the one that is designed to match.

Actually, you do have to try it to make an informed decision. As I actually own these speakers, I'd say I'm in a better position than you.

Hearing loss? Sure, minus the fact that I've had my hearing checked multiple times recently and everything is perfect, including up to 20 kHz, but nice try there.

There's no reason whatsoever to try to dismiss what I'm saying or insult me because of your lack of knowledge on the subject.

• Like 2

You might be happy without a center, it's worth trying anyway.  2.0 or 4 can be pretty satisfying for movies.  

Except for using the same speaker (another Forte II in your case), I've never been 100% satisfied with the sound out of a center speaker.  I'm not a highly critical listener, I just like to enjoy music and movies.  The center always sounds like...a center to me.  Even the RC-64II.  Before that I had a SVS Ultra center (with my SVS Ultra towers etc).  Similar, sounded great, but center sound is slightly different, maybe more boxy sounding.  Hard to explain.  

That said I'm very happy with my RF-7II and RC-64II LCR.  

2 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

Lack of knowledge!  Ha it's common sense.  I did not say it would not sound good, but it cetainly will not match not even close I don't need to hear it to know that.  Enjoy your mismatched system.

Please explain to me what is common sense about them not sounding alike. Because they are different series?

How could you possibly say they won't be close without hearing it? You have exactly 0 to base your opinion on. 

I own them, I have them, I listen to them daily.

5 hours ago, bkevind said:

You might be happy without a center, it's worth trying anyway.  2.0 or 4 can be pretty satisfying for movies.  

Except for using the same speaker (another Forte II in your case), I've never been 100% satisfied with the sound out of a center speaker.  I'm not a highly critical listener, I just like to enjoy music and movies.  The center always sounds like...a center to me.  Even the RC-64II.  Before that I had a SVS Ultra center (with my SVS Ultra towers etc).  Similar, sounded great, but center sound is slightly different, maybe more boxy sounding.  Hard to explain.  

That said I'm very happy with my RF-7II and RC-64II LCR.  

There might be a setup issue or room treatment issue if there seems to be a different sound coming from the center, especially with matched speakers. For movies, most of the sound is from the center,  so hopefully you like the sound. I've heard excellent reviews about the RC64ll.

@ftgf  I haven’t had exactly what you are asking, but I did go from RF-280’s to Forte III’s. I use a RC-64II for the center because I needed a horizontal speaker for center in my setup. I’m happy using that center. Also, the center works to put your tv on top of. I have a 65” on the RC64 now.

It was a jump up going to the Forte’s versus the RF-280’s for movies. The Fortes have more range with the midrange horn. When using the Fortes for movies, I set the AVR to large for Left-right speakers. The reason I did this was the Fortes have a lot of bass in 2channel and I wanted to utilize this in movies since I only have a 12” Klipsch R-112SW sub.  It rocks the room set like this.

I do have a pair of RP-140SA speakers for Atmos duty. I don’t really get the Atmos effect too much in movies. I moving in a few months, so I’ll mess more with my Atmos setup then.   I have a pre and 2 channel amp with home theater bypass for music. When I watch movies, I use an AVR. The left right speakers are powered by the two channel amp and the other speakers are powered by the AVR.

If I would be you, I’d keep the Fortes for your left right speakers. They are a step up from the 280’s and work well for movies and music. The Fortes have more range and the bass radiators make a difference in movies too. Just my personal opinion, but others I’ve had over share my opinion.

Best of luck on your future setup! It looks pretty awesome now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

There might be a setup issue or room treatment issue if there seems to be a different sound coming from the center, especially with matched speakers. For movies, most of the sound is from the center,  so hopefully you like the sound. I've heard excellent reviews about the RC64ll.

Oh don't get me wrong, it sounds great.  But I've never heard a (home) horizontal center speaker that didn't have a certain different sound to it, in different homes/apartments I've lived in, different equipment and speakers, neighbors and friends homes, demo in stores etc.  Maybe it's psychosomatic at this point :D

Thank you for the welcome! I appreciate the advice and the discussion. Seems like it's leaning towards the Fortes. I do love these speakers. For music with tubes they are fantastic. I like the look of the rp line and have heard the rp280s but not in a great setup that I could make a fair call. But yes if the heritage line makes a better home theater setup I guess that is the way to go. I need to hunt down an Oiled Walnut Academy now.

Thanks again

Edited by ftgf
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bkevind said:

Oh don't get me wrong, it sounds great.  But I've never heard a (home) horizontal center speaker that didn't have a certain different sound to it, in different homes/apartments I've lived in, different equipment and speakers, neighbors and friends homes, demo in stores etc.  Maybe it's psychosomatic at this point :D

When I first got my center last year, I hooked it up to the left channel (on @scrappydue's suggestion) and I was completely blown away, scrappy was right. I didn't think a center could sound as good as a tower, but it was close. 

• Like 1