Which Tractrix speaker?

mprowland

I currently use RF-3’s for music and movies.  I love the sound but I’m looking for something with a little more soundstage.  The obvious choice (on paper) would be the RF-7ii, but I’m also considering the Chorus II or the KLF-30.  The Chorus II and KLF-30 can be had at a fraction of the price of a RF-7.  I’d love to hear them side by side but that’s not really possible.  So my question is, are the three speakers at all similar in sound as far as detail, accuracy and brightness?  I’m not necessarily looking to see which one is better because it’s SO objective and there is no correct answer, I’m looking more to see which one will sound similar to the RF-3.   I think I’ve come to realize that I’m more of a fan of the tractrix horn.  As always, thanks for any input.                               Mark

The Chorus II and KLF-30's are both great speakers, can't go wrong with either of those. The RF-7 II is less detailed and the horn can be fatiguing and flat out screechy at times IMO but also not a "bad" speaker. I'd prefer either of the older models myself pick up whichever comes up first at the best price, any of the 3 mentioned will blow the doors off the RF-3's. 

As a side note if a pair of RF-5's come up locally I'd recommend giving them a try as well, I found them to be quite a bit better than the RF-3's.