Trimming speaker wire

Harleywood

Cut to fit placement of each speaker or both channels cut to same length? Due to room layout I'll have one speaker about 6 feet from amp and the other about 12 feet. I've got my cables cut now at 15 feet each. I often like to move my speakers around as well so are there any advantages to cutting the wires to the exact length you need like signal degradation over a longer wire and such? 

18 minutes ago, Harleywood said:

signal degradation over a longer wire

Yes, be careful. You could loose 0.000001 % of your signal if you cut it. :)  As an aside ... never understood why some people buy $100 speaker cables.  Somehow I think I am going to hear about this comment. :)  I use standard 12/14 gauge cable.

Cheers, Emile

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Keep at same length.  Otherwise you will not be able to sleep at night.

I already can't sleep and that will make it worse? I'm doomed. I trimmed some off the other night and I think I took more off the left that I did the right. Be right back…

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Emile said:

Yes, be careful. You could loose 0.000001 % of your signal if you cut it. :)  As an aside ... never understood why some people buy $100 speaker cables.  Somehow I think I am going to hear about this comment. :)  I use standard 12/14 gauge cable.

Cheers, Emile

Im using 12 gauge now. Same wire I bought when I bought the Epics back in 1996. Have some Nakamichi banana plugs coming Monday and will probably replace the wire with 8 gauge. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TasDom said:

you will need to count the total strands on the left AND right wires

He is switching to 8 gauge wire ... probably more than 20 strands ... most of us only have 20 fingers/toes :( Now what to do? :) 

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

get your tape measure and fix it.  They MUST be equal length.

As per normal - OT is correct. I've found that for each one inch difference in L-R speaker wire length I need to rotate the balance control approximately 1/8 inch to compensate. There is a mathematical formula to calculate electron speed through various cable metals but I won't bore you with the  calculations. Suffice to say - just cut 'em even!

• Like 2