Trimming speaker wire

Harleywood

2 hours ago, dtr20 said:

tube gear can make a difference

Sorry; NO. Physics remain the same ... we are just pushing electrons over a wire. :) And ... no (observable) time delays and no differences between 8/10/12/16 gauge wire sizes. :) 

Ok. This thread reminds me of what of what my life as a nerdy kid in elementary school used to be like. Only now I'm being harrased by my peers who actually have the same passion as me and that makes it all worthwhile. I'm off to buy some 250 mcm 32 strand 8 gauge oxygen free purple copper nitrogen blanketed suspended foam insulated shielded speaker fiber optic cable. You're all gonna wish you had this after you see the spectrum analyzer graph showing the sine waves at equal spatial differences across a broadened bandwidth. Don't even ask. I'm not giving up my supplier. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Harleywood said:

Ok. This thread reminds me of what of what my life as a nerdy kid in elementary school used to be like. Only now I'm being harrased by my peers who actually have the same passion as me and that makes it all worthwhile. I'm off to buy some 250 mcm 32 strand 8 gauge oxygen free purple copper nitrogen blanketed suspended foam insulated shielded speaker fiber optic cable. You're all gonna wish you had this after you see the spectrum analyzer graph showing the sine waves at equal spatial differences across a broadened bandwidth. Don't even ask. I'm not giving up my supplier. 

Excellent:emotion-21:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Deang said:

Electrons are excited and vibrate. They bump into each other and current "moves" through them as they touch each other

Yes; maybe better than "kicking electrons down a wire," but still a "popular" description. Actually it is the same :)  In intermediate physics, electrons ( charge carriers) are loosely bound in a conductive medium. One excited electron may "kick" another electron to the next "position," thereby creating a "current flow." In more advanced theories we start talking about "holes" and "virtual particles." But ... as @oldtimer pointed out, I only have "toilet paper" degrees, so who knows? :) 

Sounds like a big city subway station at rush hour. Gee I wonder if I'm the first one to think of that analogy?

Not a believer in fancy wires for speakers or connecting components.  Certainly at normal lengths in a typical home set-up, 14, 16 or 18 gauge are perfectly fine. There are probably are couple of hundred feet, at least, of other wire in a the entire signal chain of a typical stereo system. So logically, fiddling with a few feet "ain't goin to change nuthin", he said in his most bombastically accented  rural dialect.

Now some people on this Forum, who are people I indeed admire, swear by this stuff, and , hey it's their money.  However, particularly in the case of cables, they are simply attenuating the signal which is not the design purpose of a connect, but certainly is of speakers, preamp, amp, dacs, turntables, cartridges, digital players, tuners etc.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Emile said:

Yes; maybe better than "kicking electrons down a wire," but still a "popular" description. Actually it is the same :)  In intermediate physics, electrons ( charge carriers) are loosely bound in a conductive medium. One excited electron may "kick" another electron to the next "position," thereby creating a "current flow." In more advanced theories we start talking about "holes" and "virtual particles." But ... as @oldtimer pointed out, I only have "toilet paper" degrees, so who knows? :) 

It would take a single electron hours to travel through 8 feet of copper wire, though the electrical current flow might be many coulombs per second.:D

• Like 3