Peachtree Nova 300

kissimmeetiger

Hello all,

First don't lash out at me because I'm sincerely trying to get an answer. I have one of these Nova 300 amps and I'm curious as to which Klipsch speakers to match it with. I like the R F -7 I I but I'm curious if the 300 watts of the Nova is too much with the speaker's RMS being 250. I spoke to Crutchfield who said that at higher volumes it could hurt the speakers. If that is the case... are there any Klipsch speakers that I should look at to handle this unit that are not $5k or more? I'm looking to stay around $3-$4k for the pair.

I sure appreciate it,

kissimmee

kissimmeetiger,

Welcome to the forum.

Assuming by name you have a connection to Kissimmee, Florida?

The Nova's 300w/ch will be absolutely fine with the RF-7II's.  As efficient as the RF-7II is, you will never come close to pumping 300w/ch into them.  Maybe 200 watts with dynamic peaks but under moderate to loud volumes,  60 to 100 watts will be the norm.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Nothing at all to worry about.

Bill

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kissimmeetiger said:

Hello all,

First don't lash out at me because I'm sincerely trying to get an answer. I have one of these Nova 300 amps and I'm curious as to which Klipsch speakers to match it with. I like the R F -7 I I but I'm curious if the 300 watts of the Nova is too much with the speaker's RMS being 250. I spoke to Crutchfield who said that at higher volumes it could hurt the speakers. If that is the case... are there any Klipsch speakers that I should look at to handle this unit that are not $5k or more? I'm looking to stay around $3-$4k for the pair.

I sure appreciate it,

kissimmee

Nice first post, "First don't lash out at me".  Do we appear as a bunch that would verbally abuse someone on the first post?  I doubt it.  Likely wait til about post 10 :D

The amp will be cruising along at under 10 watts typically.  Doubt you will be putting it much louder than 100watt peaks.  Very unlikely that amp will damage the speakers.  

If you have it loud enough for the Nova to do damage, you're likely going to hear a bunch of distortion setting in.  That's when you know to turn it down but your ears will likely be unhappy, unless you aren't in the  room.

4 hours ago, kissimmeetiger said:

I like the R F -7 I I but I'm curious if the 300 watts of the Nova is too much with the speaker's RMS being 250.

Welcome to the forum.

That amp is not too much for the RF-7 II or the just released RF-7 III. 

By pure math 300 wpc looks like a lot more than 250 wpc but in the world of audio it is only a little more power.  It takes double the power to get another 3 db of sound pressure level (SPL).  That means if your amp is 250 wpc it would take 500 wpc to add only 3 db.

5 hours ago, kissimmeetiger said:

are there any Klipsch speakers that I should look at to handle this unit that are not $5k or more? I'm looking to stay around $3-$4k for the pair.

I sure appreciate it,

kissimmee

If you're looking for 2-channel enjoyment why not go with the new forte III, they're about the same price? I wouldn't worry too much about the power rating, I believe more speakers are damaged from not enough power than too much power. I had the original Peachtree a few years ago and thought it sounded pretty good with my older Chorus II's. Good luck on whichever you decide and welcome to the forum! 

10 hours ago, wvu80 said:

It takes double the power to get another 3 db of sound pressure level (SPL).  That means if your amp is 250 wpc it would take 500 wpc to add only 3 db

Very good.

It also will take 10 times the power to double the SPL.

Often not discussed (at least not around here these days) -- are the effects of power compression.

18 hours ago, willland said:

kissimmeetiger,

Welcome to the forum.

Assuming by name you have a connection to Kissimmee, Florida?

The Nova's 300w/ch will be absolutely fine with the RF-7II's.  As efficient as the RF-7II is, you will never come close to pumping 300w/ch into them.  Maybe 200 watts with dynamic peaks but under moderate to loud volumes,  60 to 100 watts will be the norm.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Nothing at all to worry about.

Bill

Bill,

Yep.. Kissimmee, Florida. I'm also an Auburn Tiger fan. It's the name I use on an Auburn Forum. I appreciate the input. I'm trying to build this system from the ground, after not doing this since the late 80's, and I'm very dusty on everything. I simply never want to worry that I've turned the 300 up too loud to hurt the speakers. I've never looked at purchasing speakers where the amp/stereo's wattage was higher than the RMS of the speakers. I'm glad to know these will be alright.

Thanks,  Tom

16 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Nice first post, "First don't lash out at me".  Do we appear as a bunch that would verbally abuse someone on the first post?  I doubt it.  Likely wait til about post 10 :D

The amp will be cruising along at under 10 watts typically.  Doubt you will be putting it much louder than 100watt peaks.  Very unlikely that amp will damage the speakers.  

If you have it loud enough for the Nova to do damage, you're likely going to hear a bunch of distortion setting in.  That's when you know to turn it down but your ears will likely be unhappy, unless you aren't in the  room.

All I could think of was someone, who is on every forum, who takes novices and twists them into a pretzels with insults. I was afraid he/she would think I was belittling the speaker/company and it's history. Thanks for helping me understand the extent to which these speakers function. I had a feeling that they would be just fine.

Thanks,

Tom

16 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Welcome to the forum.

That amp is not too much for the RF-7 II or the just released RF-7 III. 

By pure math 300 wpc looks like a lot more than 250 wpc but in the world of audio it is only a little more power.  It takes double the power to get another 3 db of sound pressure level (SPL).  That means if your amp is 250 wpc it would take 500 wpc to add only 3 db.

Thanks WVU for the information. I have not seen the III's. I cannot recall them from this website. I'll give it another look through.

Tom

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jjptkd said:

If you're looking for 2-channel enjoyment why not go with the new forte III, they're about the same price? I wouldn't worry too much about the power rating, I believe more speakers are damaged from not enough power than too much power. I had the original Peachtree a few years ago and thought it sounded pretty good with my older Chorus II's. Good luck on whichever you decide and welcome to the forum! 

JJ,

I was going to ask about them also. The guy at Crutchfield also tried to guide me to them rather than the RF-7's. What can you tell me about the Forte's that make them an improvement over the RF-7? When I first found Klipsch I was attracted to the older box style speaker rather than the tall towers.

Thanks,

Tom

55 minutes ago, kissimmeetiger said:

Thanks WVU for the information. I have not seen the III's. I cannot recall them from this website. I'll give it another look through. -Tom

Hi Tom,

The RF-7 II is on closeout at a good discount.  The latest and greatest RF-7 III is hot off the presses and is either available for pre-order or it's shipping.  Our favorite forumite and Klipsch dealer is @MetropolisLakeOutfitters, aka Cory.  You can PM him and he can give the latest info and prices over the phone.

Check out @jjptkd post directly upstream.  He suggested you check out the newly re-designed and just released Forte III.  This speaker has been getting rave reviews from those who have heard them and it is right in your price range.  I have not heard them.

FYI if you want to get someone's attention, type the @ sign and a popup menu with names will appear so all you have to do is click on a name.  @MetropolisLakeOutfitters will see this post.  He is not pushy as a dealer, he is mostly a valued contributor on this Forum so if you want great service and price, feel free to contact him, out of respect for your privacy he won't contact you first.

Good luck on your audio journey.  Listen to speakers first if you can find them close by.  Many members here will open up their houses for demos, so ask if you are interested.

-Dave

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kissimmeetiger said:

Bill,

Yep.. Kissimmee, Florida.

Tom,

That is pretty cool.  Practically neighbors.  We live in Ashley Reserve off of Neptune between Kissimmee and Saint Cloud near Neptune Middle School.  What area of Kissimmee do you live?

7 hours ago, kissimmeetiger said:

I'm also an Auburn Tiger fan. It's the name I use on an Auburn Forum.

Bulldog fan(not obnoxious) here.

7 hours ago, kissimmeetiger said:

I'm trying to build this system from the ground, after not doing this since the late 80's, and I'm very dusty on everything.

Concept wise, not much has changed since the late 80's.  Clean source, clean amplification, revealing/accurate speakers.  Technology wise, of course the digital side has changed quite a bit.  Most of my rigs are pretty simple and affordable and sound pretty awesome.

You are welcome to drop by for a demo or just hang and chat.  I'll PM you my info.

Bill

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kissimmeetiger said:

What can you tell me about the Forte's that make them an improvement over the RF-7?

The Reference loudspeakers are two-ways, the Forte III is a three-way. If you want truly horn loaded sound -- go with the Forte III. A two-way supposedly sounds somewhat smoother because it has one less crossover point, but I don't think that's necessarily true.

The critical part of the music is in the midrange. With the RF-7 ii, the midrange is being produced by a pair of large cones. With the Forte iii, the midrange is being produced by a horn and a compression driver. These two sounds are very different!

I would lean towards the Forte iii.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2017 at 4:39 PM, Deang said:

The Reference loudspeakers are two-ways, the Forte III is a three-way. If you want truly horn loaded sound -- go with the Forte III. A two-way supposedly sounds somewhat smoother because it has one less crossover point, but I don't think that's necessarily true.

The critical part of the music is in the midrange. With the RF-7 ii, the midrange is being produced by a pair of large cones. With the Forte iii, the midrange is being produced by a horn and a compression driver. These two sounds are very different!

I would lean towards the Forte iii.

Thanks for the great information. I really like the Forte III's specs and it looks just my style.

Tom

On 11/11/2017 at 6:32 AM, willland said:

Tom,

That is pretty cool.  Practically neighbors.  We live in Ashley Reserve off of Neptune between Kissimmee and Saint Cloud near Neptune Middle School.  What area of Kissimmee do you live?

Bulldog fan(not obnoxious) here.

Concept wise, not much has changed since the late 80's.  Clean source, clean amplification, revealing/accurate speakers.  Technology wise, of course the digital side has changed quite a bit.  Most of my rigs are pretty simple and affordable and sound pretty awesome.

You are welcome to drop by for a demo or just hang and chat.  I'll PM you my info.

Bill

What a football game. After seeing them do that to the Dawgs.. I think we can take the lowly tide at Auburn. Never capitalize their name! We are down close to Poinciana but we hit up the Cloud at times. Have some friends there. I think she may teach at Neptune... could be wrong. I always had stereo systems back then and never knew a thing about integrated amps. Crutchfield guy had to teach me from square one. Can't wait till the point where I can purchase the Forte III's probably.

Tom

On 11/11/2017 at 12:35 AM, wvu80 said:

Hi Tom,

The RF-7 II is on closeout at a good discount.  The latest and greatest RF-7 III is hot off the presses and is either available for pre-order or it's shipping.  Our favorite forumite and Klipsch dealer is @MetropolisLakeOutfitters, aka Cory.  You can PM him and he can give the latest info and prices over the phone.

Check out @jjptkd post directly upstream.  He suggested you check out the newly re-designed and just released Forte III.  This speaker has been getting rave reviews from those who have heard them and it is right in your price range.  I have not heard them.

FYI if you want to get someone's attention, type the @ sign and a popup menu with names will appear so all you have to do is click on a name.  @MetropolisLakeOutfitters will see this post.  He is not pushy as a dealer, he is mostly a valued contributor on this Forum so if you want great service and price, feel free to contact him, out of respect for your privacy he won't contact you first.

Good luck on your audio journey.  Listen to speakers first if you can find them close by.  Many members here will open up their houses for demos, so ask if you are interested.

-Dave

Great information Dave. It seemed to me that those RF-7 III's are going to do very well. I saw that they had put them up on this site. I'm torn between those and the Forte III's. I've never been one for the tower speakers but after reading how wide and deep they are... they sound solid. Thanks again.

Tom

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
25 minutes ago, CoryGillmore said:

I’ve been considering one of these Peachtree units to power a pair of Cornwall IVs. 

Anyone have any experience with the pair? I love the vintage and simplistic look of this unit. 

Then again, surely class D has come even further nearly 5 years later….

Yes. I ordered a unit (nova 500 integrated) brand new from an authorized dealer.  I received the gloss Black unit straight from Peachtree dropped shipped. Swirl marks all over it and a piece audibly rattling around inside. Back it went.  Received a brand new replacement that was in worse shape than the first.  Never listened to it, got a refund and lost confidence in the company.   If you want a deal on one new, contact Underwood hifI. FWIW, I am, still very content with my hypex NC1200 amp.  VTV Audio made my amp, shortly after, Buckeye amps came along and offers better value.  NC500 will be more than enough power for anyone and get you graduated from the MP series to the NC series.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Save yourself money from Crutchfield and get better prices and customer service from @Paducah Home Theater

Bad advice.  That amp will not damage your speakers. You could use a 1000 wpc RMS amp and it won't hurt them, only your ears if you really crank it. Undwrpowering and pushing an amp into distortion will hurt the tweeters though. 

• Like 2