BigStewMan

• Moderators
On 11/10/2017 at 3:53 PM, Deang said:

So, who's seen them live?

Every tour since '72.

DSOM '72 Tour--Winterland

DSOM '73 Tour -- (St. PATRICK'S Day) Radio City Music Hall

Wish You Were Here -- Cow Palace (2X)

In the Flesh (Animals) Oakland Coliseum (2X)

The Wall -- LA

A Momentary Lapse of Reason-- Austin  (2X)

Division Bell -- Dallas (X2) and Oakland Coliseum 

On 11/10/2017 at 3:53 PM, Deang said:

The stage was designed by Roger Dean.

Are you sure about that.  He did some Yes sets, I don't think he did anything for Floyd, but Oakland was inside so we had slightly different configuration.   We had the pig, but no explosion. Airplane or rocket ship that crashed and exploded.  A family, refrigerator, etc.  The program credited those inflatables to a couple of guys.

Great show.

The jet fly over would have been cool to see.

How did they get all those clocks on stage?????

Anyway, the clocks all chiming at once is, IMHO, one of the great moments in audio.  My favorite remains the DBX encoded tape I made of my first copy right out of the package in 1976.  I've yet to hear better...with or without augmented reality.  

Dave

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, Mallette said:

How did they get all those clocks on stage?????

Anyway, the clocks all chiming at once is, IMHO, one of the great moments in audio.  My favorite remains the DBX encoded tape I made of my first copy right out of the package in 1976.  I've yet to hear better...with or without augmented reality.  

Dave

The Mason book talks about this.  Alan Parsons went to an antique clock shop and recorded each clock individually, and then mixed them together,

1 hour ago, dwilawyer said:

The Mason book talks about this.  Alan Parsons went to an antique clock shop and recorded each clock individually, and then mixed them together,

Incredible work.  Parson was a genius and I love "Tales of Mystery and Imagination."  

Dave

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Every tour since '72.

DSOM '72 Tour--Winterland

DSOM '73 Tour -- (St. PATRICK'S Day) Radio City Music Hall

Wish You Were Here -- Cow Palace (2X)

In the Flesh (Animals) Oakland Coliseum (2X)

The Wall -- LA

A Momentary Lapse of Reason-- Austin  (2X)

Division Bell -- Dallas (X2) and Oakland Coliseum 

Are you sure about that.  He did some Yes sets, I don't think he did anything for Floyd, but Oakland was inside so we had slightly different configuration.   We had the pig, but no explosion. Airplane or rocket ship that crashed and exploded.  A family, refrigerator, etc.  The program credited those inflatables to a couple of guys.

Great show.

The jet fly over would have been cool to see.

I saw pf..back in 87 it was a plane..

I was amazed with the production..

and the sound system...

What is this "augmented reality" of which you speak?

Saw them in Detroit MI at Ford's auditorium 1973 or 74. They played tunes from Meddle and DSOM. Indoor venue, show was in quad or some kind of surround sound. During one tune part of Roger's rig blew which resulted in a loud "AWWWW  F$%&!!" and then an unscheduled intermission. I just remember thinking how can four men make so much sound?

1 hour ago, dirtmudd said:

That may be my favorite Floyd performance for many reasons, great era, first boot vinyl I had, I recall being impressed by this footage when I saw a poor VHS of it in the '80's.  They were still playing out the original vision to great effect, and coming to mastery of the raw tools they used from DSOTM on.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, EMRR said:

That may be my favorite Floyd performance for many reasons, great era, first boot vinyl I had, I recall being impressed by this footage when I saw a poor VHS of it in the '80's.  They were still playing out the original vision to great effect, and coming to mastery of the raw tools they used from DSOTM on.  

dsotm  is a Alan Parsons project...

yes I do agree is a incredible album..

but not pink floyd....

• Moderators
On 11/11/2017 at 8:28 PM, Mallette said:

Incredible work.  Parson was a genius and I love "Tales of Mystery and Imagination."  

Dave

And how.  The original stereo mix was mind blowing out ofnthe gate.

Mason recorded many of the other first some special effects such as the running foot steps.

• Moderators
On 11/12/2017 at 6:41 AM, dirtmudd said:

Are you sure about that.  He did some Yes sets, I don't think he did anything for Floyd, but Oakland was inside so we had slightly different configuration.   

That quote was in response to @Deang indicating je though Roger Dean may have designed the sets and I was too sure.  The Yes sets that Dean did were quite distinct.

I've seen Pink Floyd only twice.  The first time was in 1973, with my girlfriend at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto.   The airplane crashed onto the stage, and we were very impressed.  When Roger Waters played the bass intro to One of These Days, it was the loudest bass guitar I've ever heard, then or ever.

The second time was in 1994, with our daughter, who was 19 by then.  It's the circle of life!

That second time was at Exhibition Stadium, also in Toronto.

As for favourite lyrics, it's hard to top Verse 3 of Echoes:

Cloudless every day you fall

Upon my waking eyes

Inviting and inciting me to rise.

And through the window in the wall

Come streaming in on sunlight wings

A million bright ambassadors of morning.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

That quote was in response to @Deang indicating je though Roger Dean may have designed the sets and I was too sure.  The Yes sets that Dean did were quite distinct.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/mark-fisher-designer-who-created-stunning-sets-for-pink-floyd-u2-and-the-rolling-stones-8677472.html 

http://concertstagedesign.blogspot.com/2011/01/pink-floyd-in-flesh-tour-1977.html

• Like 1

Nice link.

Looks like the umbrellas were designed by Ted Happold and Frei Otto. I can't remember where I got the Roger Dean reference.

We all thought the figures floating down in parachutes were pigs, but they were sheep.

I also thought they came from the exploding pig, but they were shot from cannons from the side of the stage.

Funny how the mind works (doesn't).

Seems Roger Waters doesn't think 100,000 stoners can appreciate lyrics while partying. This is funny, since we sang along with them on and off. To think that the fans aren't connecting with the music (which is what brought them there to begin with), shows some real brain damage.

"The enormous crowds on this tour began to bother Roger as he felt the crowd were there to party rather then contemplate the music and the lyrics. At the show in Cleveland, someone climbed onto the giant cable that stretched across the stadium and carried the pig. On the bootleg, an announcer can be heard pleading with the person telling them If anybody has hold of the other line on the pig up there, please let go, its very dangerous. We’re trying to bring it back in from over the audience. Please! Please let go of the line if you have your hand on the line.” Ten days later in Montreal, the famous "spitting" incident would happen, where Roger, supposedly spit on a fan who wouldn't be quite, and from his experience on this tour came up with the concept for The Wall, feeling that there was a metaphorical wall between the band and the audience. This idea came to fruition on The Wall tour 3 years later when a 40 foot wall was gradually erected between the band and the audience."

• Like 1

Several firsts for my Floyd experience - June 1994 Division Bell Tour

- Chiefs Arrowhead stadium, my first and still only stadium show

- my first Floyd show

- my first "holy chit, how can they sound so good in an 80,000 seat stadium" 

It really was amazing how good they sounded with stadium acoustics taken into consideration. It was obvious the sound crew knew exactly what they were doing and this wasn't their first rodeo. 

• Like 1