Anyone do one of those DNA tests?

BigStewMan

My cousin told me her son did one. She is 100% Portuguese; but, her son’s results said he was only 20.5%.  Father is not Portuguese. Shouldn’t her kids be 50%

She knows the kid is her's as she said she was there when it happened.

I’ve never did one of those Ancestry tests or the like, so i don’t know what error rate they claim.

your money would be as well spent on an astrologist. It is a great con to get your dna and make you pay for it. If a cop asked for your dna you know what you would tell him but these guys people pay with a smile, like a fat person on the sidewalk scales waiting for the little slip of paper with their own personal message on it? I don't believe they have a clue.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

My cousin told me her son did one. She is 100% Portuguese; but, her son’s results said he was only 20.5%.  Father is not Portuguese. Shouldn’t her kids be 50%

She knows the kid is her's as she said she was there when it happened.

I’ve never did one of those Ancestry tests or the like, so i don’t know what error rate they claim.

It doesn't work like 50/50.  I have never submitted a sample, but I have the disease that pretty much proves my ancestry.  

5 minutes ago, moray james said:

your money would be as well spent on an astrologist.

Agree with Moray.

There is a set of three identical triplet sisters who took a couple of DNA tests to test the accuracy.  The test results were not consistent.  (bolding mine)

https://www.thedoctorstv.com/articles/3863-the-triplets-put-ancestry-kits-to-the-test

Sure enough, the test correctly showed that the triplets are identical! “You could believe your eyes,” Lisa laughs.

But the second test is supposed to reveal ancestry. Where in the world do the triplets' origins lie? And here there are some surprising results.

Although all three triplets have 99 percent European ancestry, the specific results for areas of Europe disagree among the sisters by as much as 10 percent.

Some of them show more English and Irish ancestry, another more French and German.

“It's shocking!” one triplet says.

I would say that the ethnic determination tests offered on TV are bullocks on stilts. However proper DNA tests done through a your Dr and a certified lab are another creature altogether. My wife and her biological father confirmed their relationship about 15 years ago with a 99% match. It was the development of a serious medical condition my wife developed that caused her mother to “spill the beans”. Her so called father that she had known was a worthless pos that sexually abused her as a child and led to a divorce back when she was 7. After a couple years of very pleasant phone calls and getting to know him and his family (all grown), we finally met each other in northern Alberta (Peace River). As soon as he opened the door it was a no brainer, the remblance was beyond striking. Turns out he had always suspected but my wife’s mother had lied to him for years. We have been very welcome members of the  wider family ever since.

• Thanks 1