Outdoor Covered Patio

JHandley68

I am building a new home and will have a large covered outdoor patio.  I have pair of AW-650's that will face the pool area for music.  I was hoping to install (4) in-ceiling speakers to work with the TV and at times for music.  Question, my covered patio has 18' of depth so I am not concerned about any direct moisture, but can the Klipsch in-ceiling speakers handle being installed outside the home.  We live in Austin,TX so the winters are not extreme at all.  Would the CDT-3650 CIIs be a good choice?

Thanks for your help.

Welcome JHandley68. Is this patio completely open to the elements? I'm not sure I would place an indoor speaker outside, especially with the high humidity. Those are expensive speakers, it would be a bummer for them to deteriorate from the weather. You might contact Klipsch customer support, they would know for sure. Good luck.

35 minutes ago, JHandley68 said:

Thanks for your reply.  The in-ceiling speakers would be completely covered and not exposed to moisture or sun, but they not would be enclosed and thus be exposed to temps ranging from 40-100 degrees.

Yes Klipsch support a good thing. Thinking that where located that if the patio not vented yet with 18 inch depth, there could easily be an 100 degree buildup. Could be wrong. Operating temperatures then. Interesting. In-ceiling with direct attic access to temperatures have to be high as well so. If I were to guess, I would say, it should be alright. However, still I would greatly consider Klipsch support for the answer, as agree with previous poster here. Meanwhile, I am thinking there could be a spec there so, will take a look out of interest.

COMPATIBLE WITH THE KLIPSCH IK-650-C INSTALL KIT

Sorry was looking for more info but, search timed out.

Yea Billybob, I looked at the spec and warranty section but couldn't find anything.

J....even though they would be out of the sun and no chance of rain hitting them, they would still be out in the humidity, if it was an enclosed porch might make a difference.

I'm sure they would be ok for a while, they might just have a shorter life span. I hear they sound very good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I know I am odd, but we have used some old rough Heresy's repainted with exterior house paint,  up under a 18'x24' covered roof out in the yard for 3 years now. No direct rain but fog, humidity and dampness.  Cost $300 for a rough pair, and sounds great out there.

• Like 3

• Moderators

I need to explain a little, the Heresy's went where the grills are in this pic, later covered with a net (it's that kind of place) then miscellaneous thing were put in and around the net for decoration, now you don't even notice them.

Not for everyone but they show no signs of any problems after 3 years.

yard 35.jpg

yard 36.jpg

• Like 3

• 5 years later...
7 hours ago, SantaCluz said:

Lol, didn't see it was from 2017. Anyway if anyone gonna watch the thread, I have to say smth...

Having a covered patio is a fantastic addition for enjoying the pool area and entertaining guests. While I'm not an expert in speaker installations, Klipsch generally manufactures high-quality products known for their durability and performance. The CDT-3650 CIIs are designed for in-ceiling use and should be able to handle the conditions you described, especially since Austin, TX doesn't experience extreme winters. However, to get the most accurate information, I recommend reaching out to Klipsch directly, check this website url or consulting with a professional audio installer who can provide specific guidance based on your setup and location. They'll have the expertise to ensure you make the right choice for your outdoor entertainment needs.

So you joined just to spam the group?

Classy.

• Moderators

Thanks, it kind of went through a few changes lately, just some updating after years. Some lighting changes in the bar and mostly in the garden around it plus a few new coats of clear on everything. 

As an idea... IIRC, Colter used a very thin coat of SEM vinyl auto paint on an old pair of K-28 woofers. Since those are paper cones, that might be a cheap way to protect them a little more from the humidity. He didn't use eanought to change the mass of the woofer cone...  not that he could detect (after all he is a rock n roll sound guy.).

• Like 1