The Sixes have arrived.

DizRotus

Thanks Bob, @BEC. That’s just the type of endorsement I’m looking for.  If you like them, I know she and her male friend  will love them.  She asked me if they’ll sound better than the Bose she’s listening to now.

The Amazon $799 bundle with AT table is within her budget.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My friend’s friend is a sexagenarian musician with two hearing aids.  The speakers were ostensibly a gift for him, but she really bought them for herself.

she was able to get the bundle from Amazon.  The speakers go for $799 everywhere, including Amazon.  Beach Camera bundled The Sixes with an Audio Technica AT-LP 120 USB turntable and cartridge combo that sells for $230, everything for $799.  The table was free!

At my urging, with Bob’s @BEC endorsement, they pulled the trigger before the bundle was gone.  The turntable arrived first; the speakers yesterday.  Ever notice how musicians frequently have no interest in the hardware of sound reproduction?  Her friend, we’ll call him Steve, was excited about the new toys but needed help putting it all together.

Do you recall the old TV plot where the father passes out and the kid has to land the Piper Cub while receiving instructions from the ground by radio?  That describes me trying to explain to Steve how to connect everything, over the phone.  “Don’t plug the table’s phono preamp’s output into the phono input of The Sixes.  It will sound awful.”  

They love the sound.  I knew they would.  “Much better than our Bose.”

Thanks for the help Bob.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well, now I’ve done it.  The opportunity to experience these in person for $475 was too much to resist.  See: 

My dilemma is now the Sixes could me too much or not enough. I recently purchased Heresy 2s, HIPs, and KP-201s off eBay.  One pair of those will go to a middle school band director, one pair to my millennial son, and one pair to be converted to “Super Heresys” and/or resold.  Now I’m afraid the young band director, as well as my son, might prefer the looks, convenience and sound of the Sixes to the larger Heresy variants.  Heck, this soon to be septuagenarian might want to keep them.  In any case,  one or more pairs of “Heresys” will soon be available.  Also, I might need more Sixes to keep everyone happy.

I’m eager to get the Sixes.  Jon, @McBlueMeter will have them on their way to Michigan soon.  I feel like it’s Christmas Eve. 

Does anyone know the details regarding the amps in these?  I’ve read they’re class D and from 65 to 100 watts each.  I’m curious about what chips are in the amps.  Are they truly two separate amps in one enclosure, or, is it a single 2-channel amp?  Perhaps Bob @BEC, Trey @Trey Cannon, or Chad @Chad know the answers, or can point me to someone who does.

I think all of the electronics are in the right speaker.  That is the one that has the AC power cord and has all the controls on it.  The right speaker connects to the left with a supplied cable.  The Sixes have been very interesting to my customers with most asking "What the heck are those?".  And after a quick listen, these customers are quite amazed by the amount of bass they hear from these very small speakers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

No idea but I hope it's from a different supplier than their sub amps.

As I type, I'm listening to, and enjoying, one pair of two sets of ProMedia 2.1 systems I own.  Are your concerns directed at that subamp or others?

• Like 1

Just now, DizRotus said:

I'm listening to, and enjoying, one pair of two sets of ProMedia 2.1s as I type.  Are your concerns directed at that subamp or others?

Pretty much sub amps.  The Sub 10 and sub 12 plate amp.  Seems there was a thread a week started over those.  RSW amps seemed to have a normal lifespan.

• Thanks 1

Just now, CECAA850 said:

Pretty much sub amps.  The Sub 10 and sub 12 plate amp.  Seems there was a thread a week started over those.  RSW amps seemed to have a normal lifespan.

I've used my ProMedias for years without incident.  The nearfield SQ at the computers is excellent.  My only complaint is the control of the subs that are under the desks.  The subs' gain are always at the minimum.  Any boost and they sound tubby.  At the minimum they sound quite good.  I'd prefer it if I could turn them up to the point where they are noticeable and then dial it down to where they disappear.  Instead, they MUST be set at the minimum, leaving me to wonder what they would sound like if the gain could be reduced a bit further.  Don't misunderstand, they sound excellent; they're probably right where i would adjust them, but I would prefer the ability to go below the physical stop.

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Fingers crossed for you as you'll have no warranty.  I hope they give you. or whoever you bequeath them to, years of trouble free service.

I was a breath away from buying those for my youngest daughter who's graduating from college in May and that's one of the things that stopped me.  She's a lil geek who'd have them hooked up to everything and the first time something happened we all know who she would call...  This morning she told me she didn't want the Heresy's either..  Too big and too much stuff!  Yet she wants my LS though...  lololol  Hope they work out fine DizRotus!  :)

10 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

I was a breath away from buying those for my youngest daughter who's graduating from college in May and that's one of the things that stopped me.  She's a lil geek who'd have them hooked up to everything and the first time something happened we all know who she would call...  This morning she told me she didn't want the Heresy's either..  Too big and too much stuff!  Yet she wants my LS though...  lololol  Hope they work out fine DizRotus!  :)

I wouldn't be scared of a passive.  There's not much that breaks in those that can't be figured out and fixed easily and inexpensively.  Actives are another animal as far as I'm concerned.  It's probably much ado about nothing though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I wouldn't be scared of a passive.  There's not much that breaks in those that can't be figured out and fixed easily and inexpensively.  Actives are another animal as far as I'm concerned.  It's probably much ado about nothing though.

Understood and do agree...  She'll figure it out and let me know I'm sure.  She always does!  lol

The active vs passive discussion could be relevant to the middle school band director’s choice.  The plug & play and Bluetooth functions of these powered speakers could be very useful to the school.  The potential reliability issue could be a problem.

If my son and/or I end up with a pair of The Sixes, I would not be intimidated by a need some day to open them up to replace a failed chip amp. In any case, I expect them to function well for many years.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DizRotus said:

If my son and/or I end up with a pair of The Sixes, I would not be intimidated by a need some day to open them up to replace a failed chip amp. In any case, I expect them to function well for many years.

I'd be curious to know what's in there.  I wouldn't think it would be an amp with external passive crossover.  My thoughts are an amp with built in networks which would make replacement one day a little trickier.