Dual THTLP for sale. Miami SOLD

alexg5775

1 minute ago, Youthman said:

Well I'm certainly not going to have him bring them here to demo them on a "possibility" of purchasing them.  I wouldn't think that would be fair.

I wasn't insinuating that you demo them on the "possibility" of purchase

• Haha 1

I have a dock to ship out of, if you have a dock to ship into I suspect it wont be too bad. I had one thtlp shipped to me from Tennessee and it was 230$. Freightquote sometimes has sales for 50$ off especially for first time users. Anyone interested LMK and I can give zip approximate size and weight and you can get a free quote. Even with shipping at 400$ your looking at 1150$ for 2 tht's, not a bad deal.

16 hours ago, SWL said:

I'm looking at your picture and trying to decipher about how far away the mouth of the THTLP's are from the wall?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Mouth of the horns is 4.5 ft from the wall. As can be seen in the pic I have the palladium between the mouth of the horn and the wall about 1ft away from the mouth. I have no other way of placing the subwoofer or the palladium. I tried the sub with the palladium were its at now and with out the palladium and it made no obvious sonic difference, I did not measuring. I have fired the subs into khorn and la scalas and all sounded good. These have very Omni directional sounds so it makes placement a little easier. I did have both subs at my old house mouth 18" away from the corner and it was a little louder but seemed a little more boomy and I feel like that room had more nulls. Could have been the room though.

Read this by Bill Fitzmaurice were he speakers about placement.

http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=398  

On 11/13/2017 at 12:44 PM, willland said:

I know there are some movies that dip into single digits but I am sure they are few and far between.

I know that but he is talking about below 10Hz.

Bill

I thought I put in my 2 cents worth here, since I'm the one who bought them. After having owned a pair of Danley DTS-10's (which were incredibly powerful and dug down to 8 Hz. in my living room in Indy) I subsequently sold them, even though they were a great match for my Quarter Pie horns at the time and represent the best of the best. The VERY FEW times when there was content "in the teens," all it did was create NOISE by vibrating a closet door down the hall about 40 feet away. It took a while to find out where that was coming from.  So what I'm saying is, forget about "single digits bass its a HUGE waste of time, money, cubic feet and is a GREAT example of "the law of diminishing returns." If you look at the geeky waterfall plots from the prior link here, you will see that the clear MAJORITY of 99% of program material sub bass is ABOVE 20 Hz.!!

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt and moved on to better things. That being said, there's a handful of subsonic bass freaks who want to get a body massage while watching movies or listening electronically synthesized dubstep music, if you can even call it that. I agree with Bill Fizmaurice on his refusal to design a larger Tuba HT for the above reasons. So if you want to spend $20,000 to test the structural integrity of your house, be my guest, but you will not get any more respect from me in the process of going below 20 Hz. Besides, even IMAX theaters only go down to 23 Hz. and the experience is impact enough for me (I have also owned the same exact subs as a Chicago IMAX theater, at home, BTW). The reason for getting these THTLP's is they fit my existing environment perfectly and I want a smoother distribution of sub bass, and NOT more intensity or lower frequency. Read the Todd Welti papers from JBL or the books by Floyd Toole. I have experienced all of it in 5 different spaces in 8 years, so don't waste your time or money because you will be dissapointed when you give up MUSICALITY and low distortion in order to just "rattle your windows!"

• Like 3

20 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I subsequently sold them, even though they were a great match for my Quarter Pie horns at the time and represent the best of the best

What didn't you like about them?

So if you want to spend $20,000 to test the structural integrity of your house,

You referring to a fan sub?  I don't think that's been suggested in this thread.  You can certainly get below 20Hz for a fraction of that.

when you give up MUSICALITY and low distortion in order to just "rattle your windows!"

Which option wasn't musical?

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

What didn't you like about them?

You referring to a fan sub?  I don't think that's been suggested in this thread.  You can certainly get below 20Hz for a fraction of that.

Which option wasn't musical?

I did like the DTS-10's with the Quarter Pie bass horns, crossed at 50 Hz., they were perfect. . But when I went to Sound Physics TD-1's (owned 20 of them over time), I needed tapped horn subs that were designed for 20-80 Hz. or 25 to 100 Hz. rathe than the 12-50 Hz. of the DTS-10's.

Last I looked, a fan sub was $17,000 without an amplifier.

There is nothing "musical" about a TRUE subwoofer, which I define as BELOW 30-40 Hz. So, I consider the more "musical" aspects when a sub can reach 100 Hz. In that case ALL horn or tapped horn subs give up the single digits and the teens, since they are only good for about 2 to 2 1/2 octaves, which is inherent in the design to keep harmonic distortion at 5% or less.

I know of no "small box" subs of any kind that can make that claim unless you have lots and lots of them with lots and lots of amplifier power to go with. 

The only other alternative is IB (or OB, in the case of good friend's setup), with lots of cones and motors for lots of cone area, which I may eventually try when I live in a space worthy of it's permanence.

For now, I'm adding very efficient subs, that run flat from 20-100 Hz., are tall and "skinny" because they fit my existing space (barely).

I had a regular THT that Jason built several years ago, before I found and second DTS-10, which I got because it was a "skinny" 16" deep to fit against a back wall and support my Klipsch KP-200 6th and 7th channels in my HT when I live in Indy. The shape of the original THT just didn't fit in that room, so I prefer the THTLP for greater placement versatility and identical performance as the original. We shall see when they go "live and 3D" in my room as my sub #3 and #4! LOL.

I had a third and fourth sub already, 2 factory built Danley TH-50's that are terrific, but the shape and size simply woudn't work in my room also (bummer). So this is just workable solution for guy who can finally get to try 4 subs in the middle of 4 walls, like the JBL research concluded was the BEST configuration. Besides, I have another Crown K2 gathering dust. LOL.

• Like 1