La Scala for PA use.

Droogne

I'm building 5 (maybe even 7) LaScalas at the moment, which will be used for home theatre. I already have the parts for the first 2 (original K77 and k55M. PH2380 Horn for the k55 and EV 15B woofer. Active crossovers.) I was wondering how big a party 5-7 LaScalas would be able to carry (outdoors for dance music). I have a pretty big 18" hornloaded sub (1000W RMS, 105db/spl, 35-300hz) and might build another like this one.

I heard someone mention that 1 topbin could be supported by 2 bassbins for PA use due to sensitivity mismatch)

Greetings

Others more suited for this than me here. How large of an area is the event and how tall is the stage I would wonder and, is there any problem with sound carryover to outside the space. Thinking will include some music as you mentioned the sub or subs.

Thanks!

15 minutes ago, billybob said:

Others more suited for this than me here. How large of an area is the event and how tall is the stage I would wonder and, is there any problem with sound carryover to outside the space. Thinking will include some music as you mentioned the sub or subs.

Thanks!

Subs will be as big and bad as they need to be (we can rent those). The stage will be 1 meter high and the bass bins would be stacked and the mid/high range horns placed in a semi-ark, and angled down towards the crowd, on top of the stack (another 1,8 meter). The event is pretty big as it would be outdoors... Crowd would be placed no further than 15-20 meters from the stage. Local regulations dictate is to not go over the maximum of 100db (or even lower, not sure). 6 LaScalas on half power (50watt)would still be able to achieve an 105db spl @ 60 feet. My LaScalas use a more efficient woofer so that number is probably higher. 

13 minutes ago, Droogne said:

Subs will be as big and bad as they need to be (we can rent those). The stage will be 1 meter high and the bass bins would be stacked and the mid/high range horns placed in a semi-ark, and angled down towards the crowd, on top of the stack (another 1,8 meter). The event is pretty big as it would be outdoors... Crowd would be placed no further than 15-20 meters from the stage. Local regulations dictate is to not go over the maximum of 100db (or even lower, not sure). 6 LaScalas on half power (50watt)would still be able to achieve an 105db spl @ 60 feet. My LaScalas use a more efficient woofer so that number is probably higher. 

Well thanks then for this information which am certain will come into play by those answering your questions. Somehow I looked at this as an outside event yet, thanks for the reply and the information. Good fortune

I don't know your answer(s) but I once pulled a single LaScala outside to see what it would sound like as I walked around the field.

What to play???  I put Ohio State Marching Band on

Truth be told, it was a close rendition to what they sound like.  As you walked around the field, the sound 'changed' a bit, just like as the band is marching and changing their direction.

I hate to use the word "amazed" but...  I was amazed at how well it carried and how darn good it sounded.  

Well...  I can't find the specific pictures I'm after but here's the field.  I wasn't walking around "the house" in the field, I was on the far, outer edge as well.

DSCN6299.JPG

11 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

1500 people and the performers are only 3ft off the ground?

I took a look at our photos from last year, and youre correct! Not 1 meter haha! Probably 1,5. Still, it could be better. We know. We built the stage completely by ourself (using wooden pallets which we had to place level on an angled hill.. Took us a week.) Next year that is gonna be professional so it'll be a lot safer. Included a few pics for reference. One of the pictures is from our little stages, which is probably only 3 feet high...

19264311_1689788674663175_8795163210565904827_o.jpg

19621016_1689815957993780_5635847402655062326_o.jpg

19667623_1689797807995595_3817883660320100499_o.jpg

19667655_1689794641329245_4975887684687498525_o.jpg

19702854_1689788881329821_4882746630982160899_o.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Coytee said:

I don't know your answer(s) but I once pulled a single LaScala outside to see what it would sound like as I walked around the field.

What to play???  I put Ohio State Marching Band on

Truth be told, it was a close rendition to what they sound like.  As you walked around the field, the sound 'changed' a bit, just like as the band is marching and changing their direction.

I hate to use the word "amazed" but...  I was amazed at how well it carried and how darn good it sounded.  

Well...  I can't find the specific pictures I'm after but here's the field.  I wasn't walking around "the house" in the field, I was on the far, outer edge as well.

DSCN6299.JPG

We used some (2 on each side) Mackies sa1532z last year, but we were blown away by how bad they sounded... Which is why are looking into other sources for music. The mackies were free though.. also complete overkill as we have sound regulations. For now i think my triple LaScala tower will work for the place and regulations we have, unless someone tells me otherwise. Willl have to make some kind of special box to put the tweeters and squawkers in, but that is not a real problem. 

12 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I think the Lascalas will hold their own there but big open spaces eat bass up.  You'll need some potent bass bins to keep up.

I'm probably also buying another horn sub. 1000W RMS with 105db sensitivity. If I'd put them against the stage wall I'd achieve a theoretical 110db @ 60 feet when using them @ 25% of their RMS. (again, our db max is 100..)

By stacking the bassbins of the LaScala I'm coupling them and I should get an even better sensitivity. The woofers I'm using also have a better sensitivty (98) and power handling (300W RMS) so I'm guessing I should be ok. Definitely if I cross them @100 hz. 

Cool project! Other may agree or not to keep the base of bass bin before a stack onto a solid flat surface.

There was a member that had a pic of a LaScala pair on a beach getting decent results, att. Yes, a little

attention to some details more than last a good thing. LaScala should be a decent step up in sound reproduction so

maybe an incentive for the band/performers to up their game as well.

Next year who knows. Maybe pro LaScala.

Alright, interested in knowing the outcome of event.:emotion-21:

33 minutes ago, billybob said:

Cool project! Other may agree or not to keep the base of bass bin before a stack onto a solid flat surface.

There was a member that had a pic of a LaScala pair on a beach getting decent results, att. Yes, a little

attention to some details more than last a good thing. LaScala should be a decent step up in sound reproduction so

maybe an incentive for the band/performers to up their game as well.

Next year who knows. Maybe pro LaScala.

Alright, interested in knowing the outcome of event.:emotion-21:

Any advantages in the pro LaScala? Better power handling? Cause I have been looking at the specs and it says the LaScala can only put out 121db, while this would only require 35 watt. What would be a comfortable power input for each LaScala for a period of 8-9 hours without risk of damaging the drivers? Maybe more relevant question, what it be for each driver (they all have separate amplification). Normally that is around 25% of their RMS right

1 minute ago, billybob said:

Well they have the balanced inputs and may have some better efficiency. Once again, I defer to other with practical experience. One possible obvious advantage. With handles and setup, made for the roadie. IMLO

I'm probably gonna be using balanced inputs too. Or maybe both. 

5 minutes ago, Droogne said:

I'm probably gonna be using balanced inputs too. Or maybe both. 

Cool, they are definite users of the pro by pros in the history. Balanced should only help. 121 db eff. not something to sneeze at.

The other here will chime in with some answers. Defininitely with answers. Thinking of a past member here with the experience but,

others know of who. IAC, given the time, they will show if they want to. Venues I was involved in, were garage type, and that was limited given, I was a performer.

2 minutes ago, billybob said:

Cool, they are definite users of the pro by pros in the history. Balanced should only help. 121 db eff. not something to sneeze at.

The other here will chime in with some answers. Defininitely with answers. Thinking of a past member here with the experience but,

others know of who. IAC, given the time, they will show.

Yeah, I still got time ;) probably a few months ! If we decide to use the LaScala towers we will be testing them first too ofcourse. Not everyone in our organisation is convinced, so I'll probably have too blow them away first to  show the true power of Klipsch!

If event continues to grow, may want to consider other Klipsch pro/industrial/commercial types like the MWM

1 minute ago, Droogne said:

Yeah, I still got time ;) probably a few months ! If we decide to use the LaScala towers we will be testing them first too ofcourse. Not everyone in our organisation is convinced, so I'll probably have too blow them away first to  show the true power of Klipsch!

Sounds like fun. As said up top other speakers by Klipsch for would think most venues. Heresy,KP line of even larger type

Before I forget, do a search around in the archives here. Sometime can lead to discovery and answer some.

BTW, Klipsch has some new stuff out too. Look at the threads surrounding the Hope Pilgrimage event.

Think it is the KP-600(?) that is a performer there of late.