La Scala for PA use.

Droogne

5 minutes ago, Marvel said:

So... how do the five of them sound in your living room?

Bruce

Already amazing! Lots of tweeking and testing still to be done though.. Crossovers are active, and everything is setup, but @Chris A is helping me fixing something. Also didnt have a lot of time to do some extensive listening and movie watching, but now that the first sub is done I'm planning to do a good listen session + Dunkirk in 4K HDR  this weekend. I'm gonna disconnect all the low quality speakers I have in my 11 surround, and just go for a 5.2, as Dunkirk is only 5.1. 

Yeah, they are awesome! Trying to figure out how loud they go, but when pushing those 500W woofers with a 500W amp and some pink noise I already get terrified. Was at least at 120db 80hz (even 120db 40hz but there was a lot of distortion audible, so I wouldnt recommend that ;) ) 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, billybob said:

Hope your event goes off well. Forgot the date now, lol!

27th of june! Were gonna be using at least 4. Still not sure how I'm gonna use the Faital HF200s. I got 4 of those. Anone any suggestions? I got 2x K510 horns (could be very good tweeter horns) and a few P Audio PH4525 (decent midrange horns). So I can let each Faital handle the full spectrum from the bassbin and up, or  make a sort of 3-way to prevent things like lobbing and what not (I'm not a pro, so I might be wrong in that aspect). 

Will definetely start posting pics when we are in the planning stages of the festival, ánd in the preparation stage of the LaScala mini tower. They need to be painted first, the MDF would die under the first drop of rain. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Any audio experts ( @Chris A )   who can maybe help me decide how to set it all up? Area that should be covered is not very deep (around 8m so 26ft.) , but almost twice as wide. I have 4x P Audio PH4525 and 2x Klipsch K510 horns. For drivers I can choose between 2x JBL 2446 drivers and 4x Faital PRO HF200 drivers. The horn/driver combos will go in seperate top bins. 

How would I best stack them? The HF200 can do 500-20 000hz, so I was wondering how I would use 2 on each side without lobbing. Could I prevent lobbing by having each driver carry a different spectrum? So even though they are identical drivers, have one go from 500-4000, and the second one from 4000-... ? Or could I just have both of them do the full 500-20 000 spectrum? 

The area to be covered is around 8 meters deep, and 16 wide. So maybe best to no stack them, but put 2 on each side and have them cover a different horizontal region? 

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2017 at 9:23 PM, billybob said:

Everything you say sounds like practical steps. Cabling sounds like you will have down. 

Incident referred too was an event where lead singer got shocked so, yes weather and

safety always a concern. Just wanted it to not be unsaid, in the course of things. Sure

your crew knows more than ever will about such matters.

At least it will not be snowing then. Thanks!

Harvey, the lead guitarist for Stone The Crows, was electrocuted indoors when he touched a mic.  No weather involved.  An aside, the STC bassist was the excellent James Dewar, famous as the voice and bassist of the Robin Trower Band. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JohnA said:

Harvey, the lead guitarist for Stone The Crows, was electrocuted indoors when he touched a mic.  No weather involved.  An aside, the STC bassist was the excellent James Dewar, famous as the voice and bassist of the Robin Trower Band. 

Interesting...forgot who or what I mentioned in an earlier page now. For sure though, not going on stage like Grand Funk did in a downpour at Florida field in any case. Did not know of the superb bassist from STC going on to Trower...Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 9:22 PM, ELSI said:

Okay now read 1st page and scanned this, page 5.

KP600's are a collectable 100%

I have heard klipsch tune them and some fierce sound engineers. They are not an elegant nor loud applause from appeal music producer. Period.

The tscm I believe it is takes the cake easy up to the 600's. The mwm the k402 is something to get to the top of sound repro-duction. That mentioned stacks of lascalas No Doubt when done right. The 600's cannot even be compared to stacks of lascalas. Anyone who would is in need of an update

Agree with all except LaScalas besting 600s is totally uninformed BS. First, try just the top two bins getting rid of the dual 18 direct radiators and add one KPT-1802 and we are talking whole new ball game. Second, a single LaScala tops out at 121 dB, where as a single stack of 600s tops out at 137.5 dB, do you have any clue as to how many LaScalas it would take to match that output??? Talk about all kinds of audio issues with that many separate speakers as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Agree with all except LaScalas besting 600s is totally uninformed BS. First, try just the top two bins getting rid of the dual 18 direct radiators and add one KPT-1802 and we are talking whole new ball game. Second, a single LaScala tops out at 121 dB, where as a single stack of 600s tops out at 137.5 dB, do you have any clue as to how many LaScalas it would take to match that output??? Talk about all kinds of audio issues with that many separate speakers as well.

Yes this would be the amount of lascala(plural) I pictured in reference to comparison, ridiculous I know. The 1802 would be one of only a few choice possibilities to properly source recommended range below 50hz. 

The most difficult spot listening to 600's is their midbass. This was not good hearing a pair of them from my experience with klipsch setting them up. Maybe using many stacks of 600's they may not sound so limited. 5 x top,mid and bottom per side and the midrange could be adjusted and acceptable. Then from 50+ yards away extremely loud and manageable or unmanageable depending on variables. Single pair at 50 yards away was sub par. Not sure more would be better. 

With large pa the electronic crossover needs maintained and adjusted from song to song. 600's are no exception. 

• Like 1

Cannot recall now without looking but I or other may have mentioned the 600's as they were the rage at Rodney's. OP may have suggested cost prohibitive. Still we discussed future events being always better than the last. @Droogne...thinking things went off well last year. What is happening this time around, please...thanks!

5 hours ago, billybob said:

Cannot recall now without looking but I or other may have mentioned the 600's as they were the rage at Rodney's. OP may have suggested cost prohibitive. Still we discussed future events being always better than the last. @Droogne...thinking things went off well last year. What is happening this time around, please...thanks!

We pulled of using just only 1 bassbin on each side, with an 18" below. 2 tophorns for better diffraction. It was by far a good setup, as I was having exams at the time, and wasnt able to be there during stagebuilding. We had to place them inside "towers" which meant suboptimal placement. Volumewise the single bassbin was able to keep up without a problem (we have a limit of 95db max, and the space wasnt too big). We might try again this year, but I'm gonna have even less time this time, so I will not be able to be there, which is a shame if I lend out my very expensive gear..

• Like 1

I do have some ideas I'm gonna work out depending on some other projects (HiFi related), will try to right it out tonight or one of these days! Very busy, as I just started my medical apprenticeships, and I have to pull long 60-70h weeks, with masterthesis, studying and other time-consuming responsibilities in the weekend. 

Enjoying audio will probably be pushed to the far background, let alone contemplating and building new DIY speaker set ups..

4 hours ago, Droogne said:

We pulled of using just only 1 bassbin on each side, with an 18" below. 2 tophorns for better diffraction. It was by far a good setup, as I was having exams at the time, and wasnt able to be there during stagebuilding. We had to place them inside "towers" which meant suboptimal placement. Volumewise the single bassbin was able to keep up without a problem (we have a limit of 95db max, and the space wasnt too big). We might try again this year, but I'm gonna have even less time this time, so I will not be able to be there, which is a shame if I lend out my very expensive gear..

Well good! you are busy and getting busier. Sure the crowd enjoyed the efforts and hope you and crew can continue annual event. Recall speaking about someone else taking a bigger lead so, good fortune. Thanks for reply...