Please i need your help. new member here

meepomancer

Hello guys. i am a newbie here and its my first home theater set up. i tried to read about receivers but i honestly dont understand the voltage and ohms requirements. i have this set up

RP-150M bookshelf speakers

RP-250C center channel speaker

RP-240S surround speakers

R-110SW subwoofer

is Denon avr-x540BT enough?

https://www.hifiklubben.no/tv-og-hjemmekino/hjemmekinoreceiver/denon-avr-x540bt-hjemmekinoreceiver/

or do i need to get Denon AVR-X1400H

https://www.hifiklubben.no/tv-og-hjemmekino/hjemmekinoreceiver/denon-avr-x1400h-hjemmekinoreceiver/

please help me guys. million thanks

I would go with the 1400.  You are looking at some of the most sensitive speakers that exist - you don't need a sledgehammer for a fly.  That being said, the 1400 is just hands down beter in quality.  If you can, you might look for a refurbed 3300.  There's also other AVR brands you could look at (Yamaha Aventage, Onkyo, etc).  

6 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

I would go with the 1400.  You are looking at some of the most sensitive speakers that exist - you don't need a sledgehammer for a fly.  That being said, the 1400 is just hands down beter in quality.  If you can, you might look for a refurbed 3300.  There's also other AVR brands you could look at (Yamaha Aventage, Onkyo, etc).  

thank you for your reply. how about this one

https://www.elkjop.no/product/tv-lyd-og-bilde/receiver-og-forsterker/RXV481DBK/yamaha-5-1-network-tradlos-av-receiver-rxv481d

is it enough for my set up?

• Like 1

Im little tight on budget now and maybe ill settle with this https://www.hifiklubben.no/tv-og-hjemmekino/hjemmekinoreceiver/denon-avr-x540bt-hjemmekinoreceiver/. It it enough to power my set up? Im hoping for price drop on denon x1400 on black friday but if it wont drop, maybe ill settle with denon x540bt. But i really dont know if it is compatible

9 minutes ago, meepomancer said:

Im little tight on budget now and maybe ill settle with this https://www.hifiklubben.no/tv-og-hjemmekino/hjemmekinoreceiver/denon-avr-x540bt-hjemmekinoreceiver/. It it enough to power my set up? Im hoping for price drop on denon x1400 on black friday but if it wont drop, maybe ill settle with denon x540bt. But i really dont know if it is compatible

Stay away from Sony's.  Unless there's an "ES" in the model number, it's overpriced.

I suppose it would be helpful to know what country you're in.

Go for the X1400 - I've heard a lot of unsatisfactory things about the 540.

4 minutes ago, meepomancer said:

i live in norway so its quite hard to find budget receivers. but im rooting for denon. maybe ill just save more for the x1400. but with my set up the x1400 is enough for the voltage requirements? sorry im a total newbie

Put power requirements out of your mind.  As I said, you have very efficient speakers.  Your attention should be at the build quality, features you want, and the quality of the power supply itself.  A single clear watt of power will sound a million times better than a cheap 1,000 watts.

• Thanks 1

I believe the 150m has a sensitivity or 93 dB, 1M, 2.83v (please check this).  If that is its sensitiviry, I would call it rather efficient, but not highly efficient.  You have to take into consideration that you will be farther away than the 1 meter distance at which they test speakers.   At 4 meters away, in a 3,000 to 4,000 cu.ft. room, it would take about 70 watts to safely produce 105 dB peaks encountered in reference level playback.  Denon's specs may be misleading.  They report 80 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD, with two channels driven.   You want the power rating with all channels driven.  If you will be using 5 channels (your sub will power itself), it should be rated at 5, and if you use 7, it should be rated with 7 channels driven.  More and more AVR manufacturers are less than candid in that way -- maybe, by now, it is all of them.  The specs for separate power amps are usually more honest.   An old rule of the thumb is that an AVR will deliver only about  80% of its 2 channel power to each of 7 channels channels (including the first two).  In your case, that would be about 64 watts per channel.  That's cutting it pretty fine.

A lot depends on how loud you like it, and how far away you will be.  If you want it to be as loud as it would be in a modern, well equipped commercial cinema, I wouldn't use that speaker/amp combination.  If you sit close to the speakers, in a small room, they would probably be good. 

• Like 1