JBL Studio 590s

johnnydrama

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

(such as the RC-64)

Quality blends well with everything.  B)

I agree. I've been to more than a few homes and have yet see/hear a centre as good as my RC 62. Haven't heard one of the 64s but they look magnificent. Mind you I don't play movies or television at what people refer to as reference levels - to damn loud for me and the neighbors. I really thought I would hear a big noticeable difference when I swapped out the RB61 IIs for the Ohms, but no mismatch to my ears. My wife likes it and one of my audio buddies was surprised as well.

• Like 1

I almost a purchased a pair when they first came out but ran into a pair of La Scala's and bought those instead. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the 590s around $1,000 -$1200 new for a pair back then? I might have to pick up a pair one of these days. Like the OP, I love the way it looks.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, thisgsx said:

I almost a purchased a pair when they first came out but ran into a pair of La Scala's and bought those instead. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the 590s around $1,000 -$1200 new for a pair back then? I might have to pick up a pair one of these days. Like the OP, I love the way it looks.

I don't believe so. They have always been $1000-$1299 each. However since sometime around summer 2016 they have been blowing them out through multiple avenues for $450-$550 each.

They look awesome in person. Pictures don't do justice.

1 hour ago, Grizzog said:

I've heard they are discontinuing the 590s just like they did to the 530s.

That's correct. The entire JBL Studio 5 series has been discontinued. Supposedly JBL is getting ready to release a newer line of speakers. I was told that by the gentleman at SoundDistributors anyways.

That's correct. The entire JBL Studio 5 series has been discontinued. Supposedly JBL is getting ready to release a newer line of speakers. I was told that by the gentleman at SoundDistributors anyways.
Are the new line an improvement over the Studio 5's?

12 minutes ago, Grizzog said:

I'm pretty sure the studio 290 is the replacement. I think JBL is really slimming down their consumer offerings besides synthesis.

Yea consumer audio obviously isn't JBL's primary focus.  Don't blame them quite honestly, super competitive, low margin business. I'm sure they do quite well in the large venue realm being the largest speaker manufacturer in the world.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, johnnydrama said:

Yea consumer audio obviously isn't JBL's primary focus.  Don't blame them quite honestly, super competitive, low margin business. I'm sure they do quite well in the large venue realm being the largest speaker manufacturer in the world.

They also do well in commercial venue placement. In the West Edmonton Mall in Edmonton Alberta it seems to be about 60/40 JBL to Klipsch in the stores, restaurant and pubs.several of the large women’s stores use the large white wall mount Klipsch.

On 11/12/2017 at 10:21 PM, johnnydrama said:

I did a similar arrangement on a pair of KG4s I refurbed several years ago and thought it turned out well. Also incorporated the PWK pie badges I acquired from you as well. These will match our living room décor very well. Therefore wife will let me keep them as a replacement to our Polk Soundbar.

20130512_122842.jpg

nice job on both pairs...love the grill

covers

• Like 2

Weren't these on sale for like $500 a pair at one point last year?  I would have jumped on them had I known about them at the time.  Didn't know anything about these until I came across the Z Reviews video on YouTube. Not a fan of the look with the grill off.  Overall, the RF-7 II looks much more elegant and aesthetically pleasing especially with those copper drivers, but I wonder how much of brand new speaker prices is because of wood veneer and finish?  The JBL looks like a theater speaker, which is fine by me but all the plastic makes it look cheap like a early 2k era speaker and I'm not a fan of those gray drivers.  If the sound is similar to the RF-7 II, then some of the reviews that say the 590 are too bright makes sense as I thought the RF-7 II was too bright for me as well. 

For 1k, I'd rather wait and find a pair of La Scala's or even CW with room to spare for a x-over upgrade. 

Picked up the 530s over the weekend. Utilizing as L/R Surrounds now. Plan to do some 2-channel listening with them as well at some point. These had some issues, one of the drivers needed replaced and the cabinets have several nicks and scuffs. That said I'm completely satisfied with what I paid for them plus the cost of a new driver from JBL.

IMG_4098.JPG

IMG_4100.JPG

• Like 1

One item worth mentioning I thought was the quality of the replacement driver I put into this 530 from JBL. I happen to have a pair of 5.25" Klipsch Reference drivers as well right now for comparison. The JBL driver is significantly heavier, has a larger magnet, and has a cast aluminum structure as opposed to the molded plastic of the Klipsch.

One with think this would translate into better performance.

IMG_4096.JPG

IMG_4097.JPG

• Like 1

I had a pair of 530's a while back.  I felt they were very balanced and had great resolution for the money.

However, they had a major issue and I returned them.  In 2-channel with no sub, the woofers would bottom out and pop at moderate volume.  I'm talking mid-upper 80's dB peaks at 12 feet, so not very loud.  And this was with music with bass guitar and kick drum, not rap or something with heavy synthesized bass.

I never tried them highpassed with a sub because that's not the kind of system they were going into.  However, I would guess that the issue would not be present when they are highpassed with a sub, especially in surround channels.