JBL Studio 590s

johnnydrama

Unfortunately these aren't a Klipsch product, but the horns on these things are huge and they don't disappoint. From the moment these were released several years ago by JBL (2012 i think???), they caught my eye. I immediately fell in love with the incorporation of the horn into the cabinet build design itself. From everything I have read, these have been received as a polarizing love it or hate it design. Well I loved them initially when I saw pictures online, and I love them even more in 1st person and I don't give a crap what anyone else thinks. They are huge (dimensionally they are nearly identical in size to RF-7iis) yet elegantly unique. Another tidbit worth mentioning, this is the first speaker I have ever owned that I prefer the look of the speaker with the grill on. I typically prefer mine naked. My favorite view of the speaker is head on, where the tapered back cabinet gives the front panel the optical illusion of being flat (very similar to my Klipsch XF-48s that these are replacing). Klipsch should definitely steal some design cues from these to incorporate into their RP line.

So most of you on here don't give a crap what a speaker looks like (I do obviously!), you just want to know how it sounds. Well quite simply, they are fantastic. Easily the best sounding speaker I have ever owned. This may not be saying much compared to what most of you own, you can review other speakers I 've owned in my signature. But I just now entered the Klipsch Heritage realm as well, more on that in a little bit. As mentioned earlier, this speaker is essentially their RF-7ii equivalent. While I have never owned the RF-7iis, I have demoed them several times and think they are great as well. I know most on this forum give them favorable reviews and several of you own them. So to be fair I'm not going to say these 590s sound better because I have never directly done an A/B comparison (maybe someone has @Grizzog?). However, I just grabbed this pair for $900 (retail $2500) on Newegg, substantially cheaper than even a soon to be replaced RF-7ii pair is currently. So the price alone makes these worth a long look IMO.

Here is what I can directly compare them to. I also have a newly acquired pair of Heresy's that I picked up from @jimjimbo amongst several of the pictures accommodating this post. I'm in the middle of freshening up the Heresy's a little bit. Still waiting on a pair of slant risers from Crites, then they will be ready to be incorporated into my living room setup. Anyhow after just a quick half hour session with Eric Clapton assisting, in a pure stereo 2.0 setup the 590s are definitely better. That being said, once I turned the subs on (more on those in a minute as well) it became more difficult to choose a clear winner. More time with more material and some rye whiskey would be required, but it's definitely close. The Heresy's are just so dang impressive for their size. Can't wait to get those lil boogers setup in my living room now.

One last item worth mentioning about the JBL Studio 5 series as well. The 560p subs are no joke! Once I knew I was going to buy the 590s when they went on sale again I was able to track down a pair of these bad boys from different sources on eBay. They are sealed 400w 12" units and I am willing to make a very bold claim about them. They are better than the pair of SVS SB2000s that I had several months back. I believe in large part due to a little larger cabinet. To me I was a little disappointed with the SB2000s especially given all of the rave reviews. To me, they sounded as though the amp and driver were too powerful for the small cabinet, limiting it's output. These 560ps are clean, loud, and dig very deep in a dual setup. I would also prefer these over the single 1000watt Dayton 15" Ultimax that I just parted ways with as well. Oh and I only paid $556 to acquire a pair of these!

Bottom line. The JBL Studio 5 series is no joke! Well worth the original asking prices, but no brainers at the current blowout prices. I've happily walked away from my beloved Klipsch XF-48 Dolby Atmos setup to return to a stereo 2.2 setup. That being said I am picking up a pair of JBL Studio 530s in Indianapolis this coming Friday to incorporate giving me a 4.2 arrangement.

Enjoy the pics, they are even more gorgeous in person. Believe me!

IMG_4034.JPG

IMG_4040.JPG

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimjimbo said:

Interesting grills on the Heresys

I did a similar arrangement on a pair of KG4s I refurbed several years ago and thought it turned out well. Also incorporated the PWK pie badges I acquired from you as well. These will match our living room décor very well. Therefore wife will let me keep them as a replacement to our Polk Soundbar.

20130512_122842.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, absolve2525 said:

Thanks for the review! I was seriously tempted to try them, but my gf didn't like the looks. The sale is over anyhow, so it's probably for the best. I already have plenty of Klipsch around the house anyhow. Enjoy them! ☺️

The sale keeps rotating every couple of weeks between Newegg, JBL direct, and Harman Audio eBay so I’m sure this won’t be the last time they go on sale. Just keep your eyes open. They are also selling the 580s for $750/pair if you think 590s are too large for your application. 

Nice looking setup you got. Thanks for the review I have wondered what these sound like compared to the "modern" Klipsch offerings. I typically buy what I like not just a certain brand so I may pick these up on the next sale rotation. I have been looking for a pair of 530's for a long time they rarely come up for sale, except for the price gougers on eBay. Anyway congrats and enjoy those new toys!

6 minutes ago, rockhound said:

Nice looking setup you got. Thanks for the review I have wondered what these sound like compared to the "modern" Klipsch offerings. I typically buy what I like not just a certain brand so I may pick these up on the next sale rotation. I have been looking for a pair of 530's for a long time they rarely come up for sale, except for the price gougers on eBay. Anyway congrats and enjoy those new toys!

Same for me as well, I'm not typically a brand loyalist but most audio products I buy are indeed Klipsch. That said, a JBL set is what actually peeked my interest in home audio and I have owned a couple different speakers of theirs so I am never afraid to go with JBL either.

I am picking up a pair of 530s in Indy this Friday for $200. They have a couple of issues, but nothing too significant and it allowed me to negotiate a great price.

The 590s are definitely good speakers. I prefer them to the Reference series I had (RP280 and RF-7II). However, I prefer the heritage/extended-heritage speakers more than the JBL.

I'll actually will be putting my 590s up for sale shortly although they are absolutely fantastic for movies.

I have put them up for sale.

• Like 1

Just now, Grizzog said:

The 590s are definitely good speakers. I prefer them to the Reference series I had (RP280 and RF-7II). However, I prefer the heritage/extended-heritage speakers more than the JBL.

I'll actually be putting my 590s up for sale shortly although they are absolutely fantastic for movies.

Do you currently have them in a stereo arrangement as well?

3 minutes ago, Grizzog said:

I had them in a 3.1 for my TV/Movies and music as well.

did you use another 590 as the center? Or their rinky dink 520?  Which honestly was the only reservation I had about going with the 590s. The 520 seems like a very weak offering for a speaker that large. So far I am very happy with the phantom center.

did you use another 590 as the center? Or their rinky dink 520?  Which honestly was the only reservation I had about going with the 590s. The 520 seems like a very weak offering for a speaker that large. So far I am very happy with the phantom center.

Actually I used the RC-64II which blended surprisingly well. I really enjoyed the combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

Only if you cannot distinguish pitch between brands or even or different lines within the same brand.

Perhaps that is the case with my set up - RC 62 II between a pair of Ohm Acoustics 2000s. The Klipsch is dead neutral and very clear, seems to blend incredibly well with the extra wide sound stage the Ohms put out. Works so well in fact I have decided to forgo purchasing an Ohm centre.