Class-D amps with Klipsch?

Kain

How do class-D amps mate with Klipsch? As far as I know, they generally don't like loads below 4 ohms. If I were to use them with the RF-7 III (that most likely dips to around 2.8 ohms based on the impedance curve of the RF-7 II), would they be able to drive them effectively? I'm looking at the new class-D amps from ATI.

Prepare yourself for extremely clear crystal like sound with a very black background. Some people don't like it, I think it's just different is all. With high dampening factor and low distortion, expect the amp/speaker combination to expose any bad recordings with extreme prejudice.

• Like 3

Gee Wizz.  2.8 ohms?  Can you give us a link to this, please.

I purchased my Forte II thinking they went down to 4 ohms, and trundled them to my office.  That's my long story about buying them second hand in the parking lot of Amtrak in Milwaukee.  Then got them back to Chicago in amusing circumstances.

I went to the Sony flagship store on Michigan Ave (long closed) the next day and found a mini-receiver with shoe-box speakers marked 4 ohms.  A good sign.

Back at the office I hooked up the Sony to the Forte II and the combination was magnificent.  I think the little Sony was Tripath because it has a three second time delay at power-on before connecting to the speakers. Someday I'll open up the receiver to check.

Fortunes changed and I sold the Forte II to a forum member.  

The Sage of the Midwest, Ann Landers, advised: "All generalizations are false, including this one."  Still, at least some Class D work well at 4 ohms and sound very good with Klipsch.

WMcD

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kain said:

Klipsch%2520RF7%2520II%2520Impedence%2520Curve.jpg

The green line is the phase angle while the black line is the impedance.  With that said it looks like it dips to a low of 3.6ohms at 160Hz.

Bill

• Like 1

I am shocked, and I mean really shocked how good my Jubes sound with Wyred ICE monoblocks (class D) run through an older model Yamaha preamp. Not only do they give two Pass designs a run for their money they may have taken the lead. But from past experience my race seems never ending ?!?

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2017 at 5:25 PM, Schu said:

Prepare yourself for extremely clear crystal like sound with a very black background. Some people don't like it, I think it's just different is all. With high dampening factor and low distortion, expect the amp/speaker combination to expose any bad recordings with extreme prejudice.

Exactly !

I have a Pioneer SC 87 Elite in the system with the D3 Digital amps right now on LaScala's.

On a good recording, watch out, the sound is simply stunning at times.

However, it is NOT a Euphonic amplifier, like most Tubes are, and some conventional amplifiers.

IOW, it will not hide a bad recording as well as some amps do.

A good class D amp can handle low impedances just fine.  I have my speakerpower wired up to four 18's at 1 ohm DC.  All the ones I've messed with hiss a little though, just don't have the quietest noise floor.  Just doesn't work out too well with super high efficiency horns.  

41 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

All the ones I've messed with hiss a little though, just don't have the quietest noise floor.  Just doesn't work out too well with super high efficiency horns.  

My TPA3118 “Wiener” and TI TPA3255EVM,  each in DIFF/balanced mode, are dead quiet at idle and between tracks.  I can hear no hiss from unforgiving T-35/K-77s.

• Like 1

Indeed, my Bel Canto ref500m's are the quietest Amplifier I have ever heard... or not heard. Extremely black background you can get sucked into, even if the gain is turned up high.

I really want to try a NAD M27 hypex based seven channel... but they are pricey.

• Like 1