Just joined. Sayin hi. HI!

amb3cog

Hi guys. I recently bought my first pair of Klipsch, and ran into the forum while researching how to improve my KG 3.5's. I've been lurking for a bit, and decided I need to join. Especially since I've already joined just about every other car, and home audio site already. And the fact that I love my KG's. I actually am thinking of getting another set. I have an 8 watt SE triode/pentode amp, and I need more SPL/bass. I almost contacted a guy today about some Forte II's. But they're really too wide for my room, and I'm not sure how the rear radiator will do because I don't have much space. So I decided to wait, and do more research first. I may have to start a post on that subject. I don't know all the models, and could use some help to find the best solution.

Anyway. Glad to be here. And hope you all are having a good night. 

Andy B. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, amb3cog said:

I almost contacted a guy today about some Forte II's. But they're really too wide for my room,

You posted here just in time!  Now for your first official advice;  it looks like you need to sell some furniture, like your bed, if necessary.

Gotta have priorities.  

Welcome to the Klipsch forum.  :emotion-19:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

You posted here just in time!  Now for your first official advice;  it looks like you need to sell some furniture, like your bed, if necessary.

Gotta have priorities.  

Some of us sleep on or in our Klipsch, and I should know...

Welcome to the madness, op!

I've thought about it. Is that bad? :o

Thank you. 

That's actually part of the problem. My bedroom is my listening room. I have some room, as I have 5 pairs of speakers in there. But really only one spot to have them sound good where I listen. And there's a TV on the corner situation. It's complicated. :P

2 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

Some of us sleep on or in our Klipsch, and I should know...

Welcome to the madness, op!

Thanks man. Should have quoted the first reply too. You snuck in while I was typing. :D

So I guess that on top of sounding good. Klipsch's (sp?) are comfortable too huh? 

Just now, amb3cog said:

So I guess that on top of sounding good. Klipsch's (sp?) are comfortable too huh? 

2 minutes ago, amb3cog said:

That's actually part of the problem. My bedroom is my listening room.

Yeah, that's me with one of my systems.  My 9.1 is in my bedroom. haha

Oh, very comfy.  You've never known comfort until you sleep on an MDF board with acoustic foam.

30 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

Yeah, that's me with one of my systems.  My 9.1 is in my bedroom. haha

Oh, very comfy.  You've never known comfort until you sleep on an MDF board with acoustic foam.

See I was figuring you slept on the passive radiators for comfort. But I'm sure MDF has some flex. I tell you. Almost every Klipsch speaker with a passive on the back that I see on Craigslist has the cone on the passive pushed in. Makes me think they may actually be sleeping on them. Or they have kids. ;)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, amb3cog said:

I've been lurking for a bit

Oh, you're going to fit in nicely.

14 hours ago, amb3cog said:

I don't know all the models, and could use some help to find the best solution.

CORNWALLS, no radiator, but bigger than your KG3 idea.   Or Heresys, much smaller, but deadly good sounding.

On 11/13/2017 at 9:06 PM, amb3cog said:

Hi guys. I recently bought my first pair of Klipsch, and ran into the forum while researching how to improve my KG 3.5's

purchase a set of titanium tweeter diaphragms and replace the stock phenolic diaphragms in your horns, easy and fast to change and major improvement. Change out the old stock factory capacitors Bob Crites is THE man to contact he will sell you his ti diaphragms (they are the best in my opinion) and Bob can also sell you a full set of new and very much better quality xover capacitors all the exact values you will need and they all fit (that is very important to know). You can purchase all your new parts at one place (save on shipping and mistakes) and get exactly what you need at a fair price and then get the very best service there is.

As for braced use ply it is stiff the ratio for maximum stiffness is brace height will be 2.5 x the thickness so if you use 3/4" ply then the height (or width if you prefer) will be 1.8875" so for simplicity sake lets call it 1 7/8", making the brace wider won't buy you any more stiffness and the extra is just wasted material and used up cabinet volume.

I like to run a vertical brace up the middle of each side as well as up the back and on the top from the front to the back. I always leave the bottom alone in case you want to install new networks it's a good place for them. I always place a horizontal brace below and above the woofer and one between the woofer and the mid/hi horn. Then I make sure to tie the braces together with the same brace material tie the two side braces to each other the front to the back. If you have a passive on the rear uses a brace below and above the passive to stiffen the baffle. I try to get in two or three struts to tie the sides and the front to back if possible. That ought to be a very good start and a significant improvement. It should also keep yu busy for a while and happy for a very long time. Great little speaker. All braces will be glued to the cabinet on the 3/4" edge NOT on the wide surface if you want it to be stiff! Welcome.

http://www.critesspeakers.com/

By the way you menrtioned that a Forte was too wide for your room. You might want to look at a pair of KLF20 as an upgrade which will work with your smaller room. The KLF20 has a pair of ten inch woofers in a wwmt configuration. The cabinet is the same size as a Forte cabinet just turned sideways for a narrow front profile. The dual tens will push a lot more air than a single twelve inch woofer can. The speaker needs upgraded tweeter diaphragms as a minimum from poly plastic to Bob Crites titanium diaphragms and you can upgrade the mid to ti as well for an even biger improvement. These will solve your desire for more bass and higher spl's. The KLF20 has dual rear vents but they can be positioned right up to a wall so long as you toe them in then there will be no vent issues or you can swap the vents from the rear baffle to the front if you like, I did this on a pair for my daughter while she was at university and living in very small spaces.