Newbie Setup Questions

HoustonStrong

Hello everyone,

I am interested in setting up a HT, and I need some recommendations.  So far, I haven't purchased anything - I am starting completely from scratch.  I've attached a poorly-drawn mock-up of the room for reference.  The proposed space is a small room (approximately 12.6' x 13.6' x 8').  I will be using this room for listening to music as well as watching movies.  The TV I have is a 46" Samsung, but it is not 4K and I really don't plan on upgrading it right now. 

I am considering the thought of an Atmos system with in-ceiling speakers, and I am thinking that a 5.1.4 would be plenty for this room.  My budget is about $3-4K for everything.  I haven't decided if I am going to purchase everything at once, or start small and add to it. 

I reached out to a local shop for some advice and here's what was provided to me:

Klipsch RF7II cherry (he can give me a pair for $1299)

Klipsch RP250C

Klipsch R14S (pair)

Sony STRZA1100ES

What do you guys think of this as a starting point?  Should I look at other options?  I realize that there is no mention of a sub.  I am considering either the BIC America F12 12-Inch 475-Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer or the Klipsch R-115SW Subwoofer.  It's a huge difference I know, and it's blowing my budget out of the water as well.  

Also, after searching around, I was thinking about going with another receiver: Denon AVRX4200, but I read a post that said that if I choose to do a 5.1.4 setup, I would have to sacrifice the rear surround speakers and also purchase a 2-channel amp to run the ceiling Atmos speakers.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

room.pdf

Welcome to the forum.

That is a great deal on the RF-7's.  I would advise you get matching speakers though.  You want nothing less than the RC-62 for those monsters, and you can have them for fairly cheap from Fry's right now.  If you can't land one, I'd look at the RP-450C or RC-64.  You will not be satisfied with the RP-250C with the RF-7's.

The R-14S is not timbre matched with the RF-7's, and I can't imagine they'd work well with them either.  I'd examine the used pair of RS-41's or 42's on the forum here, or go with the RP-250S.

As for the sub - yes, you are correct...go for the 115SW.  It will walk all over that BIC sub.

Lastly the AVR.  The Sony ES is a fantastic receiver, but you will probably get better bang for your dollar from the Denon.  There's nothing wrong with Sony ES products, but in most situations with Klipsch speakers you might find better value elsewhere.

• Haha 1

Hi @HoustonStrong welcome to the forum  Good first post, and challenging.

Your budget is good but I don't like the speaker choices.  The RF-7 II's are solid but I don't think that RP-250C center would match well with it.  You can really make that budget stretch because Klipsch has all kind of speakers on closeout right now as the new stuff comes out.  

I like the Denon 4200 better than the Sony.

Others will weigh in to give you better advice on specifics than me.

I suggest you reach out to @MetropolisLakeOutfitters, a Klipsch dealer who is an active participant on the forums.  He will give you very honest advice.  He can sell you speakers, but he is not here to sell you anything, if that makes any sense.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Welcome to the forum.  I can’t believe what the dealer is recommending?  I would rather do without a Center than try to use that tiny center to keep up with the RF7 II.  You will definitely want to get the matching RC64 II.  The RC62 II is a great Center but the tweeter isn’t the same calibur as what is used in the RF7 II.

as mentioned, reach out to @MetropolisLakeOutfitters.  Cory knows his stuff and will be able to recommend a system that will meet your budget or you may decide to hold off on the surrounds and Atmos and put that towards a better center.  

• Like 2

Welcome aboard Houston 👍

You will quickly forget this comment as I know the excitement of the new equipment is overwhelming and awesome

My #1 goal if that were my room -- $500 to $1200 on treating that room.  Early side wall and ceiling reflections and then as many bass traps as you can afford in budget.  DIY is an amazing value but pro made works great just more expensive.

1.  The first rule of HT is nobody talks about treating the room.   In a small room its make or break imo.

2.  If you do #1 then spend $1500 on subs.  2 really nice ones.  

3.  That's $2000 to $2700 there.  $500 on a nice used AVR.

4.  $800 to $1500 on speakers.   Unless you are going to move to a larger room soon you dont need big speakers in there.  Smaller front stage with bass traps and good subs will turn out better imo.

5.  Bonus buy:  Go used on everything save an extra $800 and get a 60" or larger 4k tv.  Doesn't need to be top of the line just solid.

Used is a huge savings for speakers and AVRs.  DIY treatment is fun easy and very cheap.  Speakers are key but almost last in the process.  The key is the room will dominate all other factors until it is tamed.  Once tamed it will beat real theaters and be able to play LFE down below 10hz easily and past reference (headroom).

:)  Yeah that's about the most mismatched proposal I've seen in awhile.  Three different lines, three different timbres, and three different finishes.  Goodness, where do they find these guys.  

I've never heard of new RF-7II's being sold for that price for two.  Maybe they're demos, otherwise I'd make sure that wasn't for one, which is a pretty normal price right now, everybody is authorized to advertise at about that.  

Also see if you can hold out for the RF-7III.  If you get the 7II or 7III, don't settle for anything less than the matching RC-64II / 64III center channel.  Stay away from that 250C if you get decent towers.  

There is actually a great deal on the RP-280FA Atmos enabled speakers right now, one of those and an RP-450C would be nice if you decide against those 7's.  

Either way, get the RP-250S or at least RP-240S for surrounds.  They're nice. 

Gotta get some sleep right now, PM me again tomorrow if you want.  

• Like 1