Is this a mis-match

Disland

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Disland said:

Thinking of using a pair of Klipsch low profile G+16 for surround with RC-64iii center, pair of RP-280 floor standing L/R

I would at least match the front three speakers.  If you want the RC-64 II, go with the larger RF-7 II.  if you like the sound of the RP-280, get the matching 440c center.  If not, you are going to have different tweeters and have a different sound across the front sound stage.

My vote....get the RF-7 II and don't look back.

31 minutes ago, Disland said:

Also, How big of a Sub do I need. Concerned a R112sw is not big enough??

You have a very large room to try and pressurize with a single 12" sub.  If you can squeeze it, a 15" sub or even a pair of them would provide much more output.  Once I purchased a 15", I've never gone back to anything smaller.  It add some serious authority that even a high end Velodyne DD12 can't match.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Disland said:

I love the RC-64C but the RF-7ii is just too big and outside my budget.

No problem....so you will have RP-280 as your mains.  They should work great.  Honestly, I wasn't that impressed recently when I demoed the 440c.  If it were me, I would likely get the larger RC-64 II even though it's not completely voice matched to the RP-280's.  Soooo much information comes from the center.  The RC-64 II has a larger 1.75" compression tweeter which is a big upgrade over the tiny horn and tweeter in the 440c.  That's just my opinion though.

8 minutes ago, Disland said:

also what are your thoughts on the G+16 for surround? My wife likes that they dont stick out from the wall very far.

I have never heard the Gallery series.  Just realize with them being flat is a compromise.  You can't have big sound with small speakers.  That's mere physics.  They may sound fine....I don't know as I've just never heard them.

• Moderators

With that said....that would not bother me near as much as having a center channel that just wasn't impressive sounding.  Granted, Magnolia might not have had the system calibrated properly....I just wasn't wowed by the RP-280, 440c and dual 115's.   It just sounded "ok" to me.

Keep in mind youth man has 3 la scalas for his fronts,  probably not much in Magnolia that's going to impress him too much... lol, I on the other hand have the 280 and love them, as well as using a 250cc for my center which to my ears sounds fine but my rooms are not as big as yours....  most on here would agree that youth man system is A Cut Above better all comes back to what kind of deals you can find and what kind of budget you are on...  as I'm sure youthman will tell you that much of what he's bought is used and got very good deals on....

What you first asked about would work but it would help if you explained how you came to those choices

imo matching series is a benefit especially up front

with full respect to all opinions my view is matching the center to the series you buy is more important than which is perhaps the best

if you get rp280s get a 450c

if you get rf7s or rf62s even an rc64 is great

when three speakers up front are identical its amazing

when the three up front are the same series i.e. rp280s with rp450c its close because tweeters match

when they are different series and sound pans across the three its a bit obvious the change in sound

my 2c!

115sw is a big upgrade in the low end but 112 is fine

• Moderators
1 hour ago, xo705cf said:

Keep in mind youth man has 3 la scalas for his fronts,  probably not much in Magnolia that's going to impress him too much

I know what you are saying but good sound is good sound.  I have RB-61 II that still impress me. 

• Like 1