Klipsch RF7II Speaker Pairing

Codyred

I need to replace my Yamaha AS 2000 integrated that I currently use with the RF 7II speakers.  The Yamaha is too forward and accentuates the top end too much which is a bit rough around the edges too.  The pairing of  the AS 2000 integrated and the RF 7II's really makes them a fatiguing set of speakers.  My sources are a Macbook Pro ( Audiophilleo 2/ Topping D30 dac), Krell SACD Standard III,  Jolida JD 100, and  I listen in a smaller family room 11 ft W by 18 ft L x by 8 ft H.  No options for changing placement since the family room is crammed with furniture and gear.   I am looking for recommendations of an integrated amp you have heard with the RF7II's that will drive the woofers so the bass will have more punch.  I am looking to spend as little as possible (definitely well under $1000) .  Since the bass has not punched well with my current integrated, I have been using a subwoofer, so I probably need an integrated that has outputs to connect to a sub.  I have been thinking about a vintage McIntosh maybe ,  since I saw where an RF7II owner was happy with that pairing, but any and all suggestions for other integrated amps are welcome. 

So here is what I am looking for:

1. integrated amplifier well under $1000

2. outputs for a subwoofer

3. an integrated you have heard with the RF7II's that compliments the bass capability of the speaker

4. music I listen to primarily is Jazz from the 50's 60's and 70's 

Thank you for your ideas. 

First I am very surprised about the "mismatch" of the A-S2000/RF-7II.  I am by no means discounting your experience with your current combo.  My A-S1000 mates very well with my RB-75's.  Have you played with the tone controls at all?  They are very well designed and really work well with my RB-75's.

With that said, maybe consider an NAD C375BEE.  Plenty of punch with very smooth mids and highs.  Not tube amp smooth but definitely no where near strident or harsh.

Or maybe for a little more $$$, this.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-nad-c-390dd-direct-digital-dac-integrated-amp-with-bluos-and-phono-2017-11-13-integrateds

Will you be listing your A-S2000 soon?:unsure::P

Bill

If it's any consolation,  I had an AS-1000 and felt the same issue existed.  The bass is rolled off on those amps.  I used mine for a few weeks, but decided to return it.  I was using LaScala's and THX Ultra 2 subs, and I had to turn the Bass and gain on the subwoofer amp ALL the way up to make it sound flat.   The amp sounded good, but, to my ear, the amp didn't have any "punch" at all.     

1 hour ago, Hasty said:

If it's any consolation,  I had an AS-1000 and felt the same issue existed.  The bass is rolled off on those amps.

I am driving my "bookshelf" speakers with my Yamaha and you guys are driving towers.  I guess I can see how we are not comparing apples to apples.  I may try the A-S1000 on my RF-63's and see if I experience the same as you guys do.:unsure:  I sure hope not.;)

Bill

When I had the Yamaha I thought the amp had fantastic but accentuated mid range.   I felt the amp would be much better suited to a cone speaker.   Klipsch has a big sounding mid-range, and stacking the Yamaha on top of that made the mid range ridiculously overpowering without radical adjustments to the tone controls.   

Codyred,

How loud do you listen? 

Am I correct that you listen to only digitized recordings, not LPs?

FWIW, here’s what I have currently connected to my RF-7II:

Basement system:  Front, center, and left speakers are Klipsch RF-7 II.  A single rear speaker is a Klipsch RF-7.   Subwoofers:  SVS SB16-Ultra, Klipsch R-115SW.  Source:  Oppo UDP-205 (with USB hard drive containing high-res FLAC recordings).  Amps: Scott 272, Inspire “Fire Bottle” SE Stereo Tube Amplifier HO, Scott 222C, McIntosh MX110Z tuner/preamp paired with Scott LK150, Fisher KX-200, Scott 296, Pilot SA-260.   A patch panel allows me to connect the speakers to whichever amp I want, and F/F RCA cables enable me to connect an amp to the Oppo, and a power amp to the MX110Z.   Chromecast Audio for internet radio and Spotify Premium.

All these amps were paired with the RF-7II because IMO they synergize well.  (The LK150 needs the pre-amp’s tone controls in order to tame the KT88's treble.)

For a vintage tube integrated amp <= $1k, I recommend a professionally restored Scott 299C.  (My 299C is in a different system.)

If you’re committed to a solid-state integrated amp, willand mentioned the NAD C375BEE.  My NAD C375BEE is installed in a different system (Klipsch Palladium P-37F), but I’m confident the C375BEE would perform well with the RF-7II, considering its tone controls.  However, no subwoofer out.

IMO, subwoofer outputs should be handled by the universal disc player, such as an Oppo unit (e.g., UDP-205, or BDP-105, BDP-95), in order to off-load bass from the main amp and speakers.

An Inspire “Fire Bottle” SE Stereo Tube Amplifier HO (SEP power amp) equipped with 6L6GC (approximately 8wpc), driven directly by the variable output of an Oppo player (e.g., UDP-205, BDP-105, BDP-95), sounds good with RF-7II.   Assuming you want to get away from the “transistor sound”, and you don’t listen at “ear bleed” levels, and a UDP-205 or BDP-105 will play all your recordings (i.e., no LPs), this is a good combo.  You can connect a subwoofer to the Oppo.

If you want a new <= $1k solid-state receiver with subwoofer crossover, you might investigate the Outlaw RR2160 receiver.  I have no experience with this receiver, but it has received good reviews (see Dec 2017 Stereophile), and it has a subwoofer output, “speaker EQ” (bass boost), and tone controls.  I imagine it would do OK with the RF-7II.

Bottom line, if you're unhappy with the "transistor sound", I suggest a tube amp.

On 11/15/2017 at 3:21 PM, Codyred said:

Willand, thanks for the information and link, not sure when I will list the AS 2000.

Just curious.  I am very happy with the A-S1000 but would not mind trying out the A-S2000 also.

On 11/15/2017 at 3:21 PM, Codyred said:

Used to have the NAD M2 and sold that too, so not confident any NAD integrated below the M2 would do the trick the RF 7II's.

Wow, another surprise.  I own an NAD T773 AVR and have owned their older 5 channel amp(925THX) and both have been more than satisfying in the bass department.  

See if you can find you an Anthem 225 integrated or an Acurus DIA-150.  Both are spot on neutral with thundering bass drive.

Bill

Wiiland,I will sell the AS 2000 if I go with different amplification.  Also I missed answering an earlier question you asked.  I like listening at not too loud volumes, sometime low level too.  With these metal dome tweeters they will pierce your ears out if you play them very  loud in a smaller room.  Has anyone experienced the RF7 II's with an amp that brought more bass weight, in spite of the room they were in?

I am not sure it is all the amps problems.  It sounds like some major room impact on what is going on with the sound.   Reflections, cancellations, phase and other problems.  Changing amps may improve things a bit but, is not the best way to actually fix the sound.  Quality of the RF 7 II with a sub is highly dependent on optimal sub location.

Yes, there are excellent amps from China also. Yaquin makes great looking and performing amps.

On 11/15/2017 at 2:12 PM, Codyred said:

Thank you all. Robert, thanks for the detailed post.  What about one of the inexpensive tube integrateds from China? .

I don’t own tube amps from China.  My tube amps are vintage made-in-USA.  

IME, excellent sound quality in reproduced music is possible via vintage tube amps and RF-7II.  (I listen to classical music and opera, with occasional big-band music.)

As I said earlier, if you're unhappy with the "transistor sound", I suggest that you consider a vintage tube amp.    Every tube amp has a different sound signature.

Where do you live?   Perhaps you can listen to someone else's system that includes RF-7II and tube amps.