damsel in distress. can i mix reference lines?

Ellafate

hello i really need your help. due to restraint budget, i am planning to get rp150m and r25c as my center, then r14m for my surround. i dont have a choice for subwoofer yet. but can i use any brand for my sub? do i have a good or matching speakers for a small room? please help me, thanks

You want the best center possible for movies since that will be utilized the most out of your speakers. That said, the RP250C is the matched center for the RP150. It is also a much better center overall than the R25C. As said previously by dtr20, that is your better choice. 

I have the RP160 and RP250C and am perfectly happy with them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Youthman said:

That receiver looks plenty capable.  Check Accessories 4 Less.  They sell Refurbs that could save you some money.

It looks to me like Ella lives across the pond.  A4L might not ship internationally.

Welcome to the forum!  Are you from across the pond?

My only gripe with the advertising for the  Denon AVR-X540BT is that it doesn't include a watts per channel rating with all channels operating.  They rate it with a maximum of two channels operating, and with other fudge factors deployed.  You want the figures for w.p.c. with all channels operating, 8 ohms, at low distortion.   Search for a "bench test" of the Denon in a review.   Denon is a good company, though.  Having Audyssey is valuable, IMO.

Do you intend to operate at full reference volume (the level you hear in a well equipped commercial cinema; very brief peaks through each main speaker of 105 db, with a normal level of about 75 to 85 dB), or at a lower "medium leve?."

How far away from the main speakers will you be?

What is your room volume in cubic feet?

As to the speakers, given a 3 dB sensitivity difference, and a lower power handling rating, you may want to move up to the 160, or beyond.  I would be nervous about running either of these models at reference level, unless your room is small.     

You will definitely need a good subwoofer to reduce the strain on the main speakers.

Welcome to the forum!  Are you from across the pond?
My only gripe with the advertising for the  Denon AVR-X540BT is that it doesn't include a watts per channel rating with all channels operating.  They rate it with a maximum of two channels operating, and with other fudge factors deployed.  You want the figures for w.p.c. with all channels operating, 8 ohms, at low distortion.   Search for a "bench test" of the Denon in a review.   Denon is a good company, though.  Having Audyssey is valuable, IMO.

Do you intend to operate at full reference volume (the level you hear in a well equipped commercial cinema; very brief peaks through each main speaker of 105 db, with a normal level of about 75 to 85 dB), or at a lower "medium leve?."

How far away from the main speakers will you be?

What is your room volume in cubic feet?

As to the speakers, given a 3 dB sensitivity difference, and a lower power handling rating, you may want to move up to the 160, or beyond.  I would be nervous about running either of these models at reference level, unless your room is small.     

You will definitely need a good subwoofer to reduce the strain on the main speakers.

I usually listen -10dB from Reference level using the 150ms and 250c in a 1900 cu ft room 11 feet from the mains, and have no issue reaching this volume without distortion. I also have the fronts crossed over at 50hz, and they will happily play a 50hz sine wave at -10dB without distortion as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello and welcome some more. If you have decided then that both have the features you want. Sony do many things well and far be it from me to criticize the brand, think that you would find throughout that Denon would be the preference. The new Sony product may well be improved yet, I do not know.

Given time and the model you are choosing, other will be along. Just going from the brand here for an AVR if those 2 only to choose from.

Good fortune and yes, making a good decision now, may have an impact on your listening, watching pleasure now and in the future.

55 minutes ago, Ellafate said:

in my country, sony str dn1080 and denon x1400 have same price. can you please tell me if what sgiuld i choose from the two?

You have done your research and have come up with two high quality choices.  At this point, it comes down to personal preference, which one you feel more comfortable with.

Most of us on this board have more experience with Denon and the Sony is not talked about.  That does not mean the Sony is a bad product, it just means we do not know as much about it as the Denon.  If you go to the Sony Discussion Forum you would find people who love that product and would recommend it.  I just have never seen the Sony discussed here, and I have never heard either one.  I own a Marantz SR6001 and an Onkyo TX NR-717.

You are making good use of the group process, which means you might not pick the absolute perfect choice, but it does just about guarantee you will not make a bad choice.  I'm sure you will like whatever you pick. 

Good luck, let us know how you like your new setup.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ellafate said:

My brother just sold someone on a 676 - they seem to like it okay.  I've seen it mentioned in a positive light in a few other AV groups too.