Dynaco ST-70 series 3

tube fanatic

2 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

Supposedly, this is getting closer to being available (at a price of $3k according to one source).  I can't imagine that it will be worth almost triple the cost of a fully assembled ST-70 from Bob Latino.  But, it is interesting to read about how they developed the design:

http://www.dynaco.com/inside-story.php

Maynard

Thanks for the article Maynard.  The price probably reflects their attempt to recoup all the money that went into R&D of this piece if I had to guess.  Mass production would drive the price down but this won't be a mass market piece. 

undertook the costs to have it properly safety certified.

That's not a cheap endeavor. 

Radial has some money to throw at something like this.  

They also own Jensen Transformers now.   From the text description on transformer research, if they had Hammond do the iron, it's certainly custom and made to a strict standard.  

I like everything I read, first pass.  

On 11/18/2017 at 2:06 PM, Klippy26 said:

Back in the mid 60's I bought a Dyna Kit Stereo 70 and boy it was no where near what one would cost now but I'm thinking the ST 70 of today would use better grade components.

A $150 dollar purchase back then would be a bit over $975 today.

Bruce

2 hours ago, Marvel said:

A $150 dollar purchase back then would be a bit over $975 today.

Bruce

For sure.  I also had a couple of Stereo 35's.  I think they were Stereo 35's.  Built all of them without any problems, good instructions.  I also bought the PAS-3 preamp.  For the money it was pretty sweet sounding.  I had a Dual 1019 Turntable and whatever Shure cartridge was the latest and greatest.  Same store also carried Altec Lansing Speakers which were considered very good at the time.  I loved those Voice of the Theater speakers they had.

927468-altec-lansing-voice-of-the-theater-speakers.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/5/2019 at 10:29 AM, Alfredo Prada said:

My first tube amp and I was afraid 35W x2 was not going

I have a 20x23 room and 3.5W x 2... plenty of power for me and my LsScalas. Even plenty on my Heresy II speakers. I have one of the original ST-70 maps, although with a different driver board. I am swapping out for another driver board, but STILL not had time for it.

It looks really nice in your room!

Bruce