K-55X Drivers

ZEUS121996

The 2007 Khorns I just picked up have a problem with the K-55X drivers. I have no idea how they did it, but they managed to cleanly break off the posts on the drivers themselves. Klipsch tells me I need to buy new diaphragm kits for $105 each. I should be able to solder posts back on or does someone have  better idea? Both drivers look like the attached pic.

TY

Mark

55x.jpg

1 minute ago, jjptkd said:

I don't think it would hurt to try and solder them back together seeing how they're already broken, worth a shot.

The corollary would be, how do you solder the terminals safely?  Do you take them apart, what temp do you set the soldering iron to so you don't damage the diaphragms?

If I thought I could get away with it I'd solder the wires directly to the old terminal stubs.

Mr. Crites was nice enough to get back to me immediately. He recommended soldering the wire directly to the drivers. The good thing was the Atlas driver has a small hole I was able to tuck the wire into. It's not pretty with my shakes but I think it will work. Going to fire them up at the club tomorrow and see what happens. I'll also be interested to see how much difference I can hear between the 2007s and the 73s that had been recapped. 

Mark

6 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I could get away with it I'd solder the wires directly to the old terminal stubs.

That's what I'd do. 

The worst case would be new diaphragm kits.  Use a small iron, 15 watts?, tin the leads, wet the tip with solder and make the connection as quick as you can. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JohnA said:

That's what I'd do. 

The worst case would be new diaphragm kits.  Use a small iron, 15 watts?, tin the leads, wet the tip with solder and make the connection as quick as you can. 

I doubt a 15 W iron is enough to do that job. I would use a 50 W iron with an 800 deg. tip, pre-tin the wires and the terminal, and sweat them together

• Like 1

Have you tested the resistance at what is left of the connections?  My thought is that the lack of terminals might be obscuring a burned out voice coil.  In any event, if there is some problem after you're done soldering, it will be instructive to know there wasn't one before you worked on it.  (Even if it might cause some self blame.  Smile.)  (Edit: In retrospect the question may be insulting -- but I'm suspicious of unexplained damage which interferes with casual testing.)

A few years ago I bought a temperature controlled Weller soldering station.  It really takes the worry out of soldering.  If you have the cash you might consider buying one.

BTW: Is the unit really from Klipsch, with a Klipsch trademark on the back?  You say it came out of a K-Horn.  But I see the Atlas tag. You're calling it a K-55-X but is that true in a strict sense?

WMcD

• Like 2