Bypass Receiver?

rplace

Is this a true statement? In order to only use the amplification section of a receiver (ie bypass the switching and signal path) the receiver in question must have "Main In" or something similar.

I'd like to experiment with what I think is a nicer preamp I have laying around to feed an old receiver. Hoping to use the preamp to connect sources, control volume, switching, etc and use the receiver as basically just an amp.

My impression is when the amp section is defeated, it is the pre-amp that is used, not the amp section.  Today's AVR's usually have a hardware or software switch.  BITD a pair of U-shaped jumper pins connected the dual RCA connectors.

Please consult someone smarter than me before jumping pre-amps to amps!.  :ph34r: 

8 minutes ago, willland said:

My NAD T773 AVR can be used as an outboard amp with a separate preamp, or preamp processor.  Same for my Yamaha A-S1000 integrated.

I find that more than interesting.  I have a Sherborn AVR with a possible blown power supply.  I would love to use the seven discrete 125 wpc amps with a pre-amp.

6 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I have a Sherborn AVR with a possible blown power supply.  I would love to use the seven discrete 125 wpc amps with a pre-amp.

If the Sherbourn has two separate power supplies, one for preamp section and one or more for the amp sections, then I don't see why not.  If a single power supply, them amps ain't amplifying nothing.:o

Bill

So 4 replies, all having nothing to do with my original question. Well done :rolleyes: Sounds like par for the course on the Klipsch form.

I know some AVRs and Integrated Amps can do it, I'm asking what is necessary to do it? I believe the "Main In" set of connections that some systems have it how it is typically done. Wondering if that is the only way. I don't have anything labeled Main In. Just the typical inputs for CD/Tape/Pono, etc. The more I dig I think it might be accomplished via the "Direct Mode" button versus a separate set of inputs on the back. When I hook my source up to the external Pre amp then the Pre Out to the CD In of the AVR and run it in direct mode it sounds a lot better than stereo mode. Still I feel that I'm not entirely bypassing the AVR and using it's amp section only.

Think I did it one time with a Crown D-75. Cannot recall the exact reason other than wanting to test a Sansui integrated amp.

Seem to recall the Crown integrated's volume controlled the volume of the Sansui. Too vague and too distant to be of any

use here. Recall faintish...

1 hour ago, rplace said:

So 4 replies, all having nothing to do with my original question. Well done :rolleyes: Sounds like par for the course on the Klipsch form.

I know some AVRs and Integrated Amps can do it, I'm asking what is necessary to do it? I believe the "Main In" set of connections that some systems have it how it is typically done.

Sorry about that. 

Both my NAD and Yamaha have "main in" inputs so I must have "assumed"(you know the saying) you knew that.  That is the only way I know of but others may know of alternative methods.

Bill

On 11/16/2017 at 9:54 AM, rplace said:

I know some AVRs and Integrated Amps can do it, I'm asking what is necessary to do it? I believe the "Main In" set of connections that some systems have it how it is typically done. Wondering if that is the only way. I don't have anything labeled Main In. Just the typical inputs for CD/Tape/Pono, etc. The more I dig I think it might be accomplished via the "Direct Mode" button versus a separate set of inputs on the back. When I hook my source up to the external Pre amp then the Pre Out to the CD In of the AVR and run it in direct mode it sounds a lot better than stereo mode. Still I feel that I'm not entirely bypassing the AVR and using it's amp section only.

So,  on older analog gear if it did not have a pre out/amp in connection in back then the only other way would be to use any of the regular or tape playback inputs and set any tone controls and filters to bypass or off.  Depending on the design there may or may not be any preamplification before the power amp.  Maybe if you told us exactly what models of preamp and receiver you had we could help a bit more!  

As an example, I have a 40 year old Pioneer integrated amp. I have a CD player connected to it on one of the AUX inputs.  I then connected one of the tape outputs to my AVR receiver. Well what do you know, I dont have to even turn the old pioneer on to have the Analog CD signal go to my AVR...   Showing that some of the old gear is just passive switching...

• Thanks 1

On 11/16/2017 at 9:54 AM, rplace said:

Looks like quite a few people helping you out, even more so after this nice statement......I say it's a great forum.

13 hours ago, efzauner said:

So,  on older analog gear if it did not have a pre out/amp in connection in back then the only other way would be to use any of the regular or tape playback inputs and set any tone controls and filters to bypass or off.  Depending on the design there may or may not be any preamplification before the power amp.  Maybe if you told us exactly what models of preamp and receiver you had we could help a bit more!  

As an example, I have a 40 year old Pioneer integrated amp. I have a CD player connected to it on one of the AUX inputs.  I then connected one of the tape outputs to my AVR receiver. Well what do you know, I dont have to even turn the old pioneer on to have the Analog CD signal go to my AVR...   Showing that some of the old gear is just passive switching...

Thanks efzauner I was wondering if the tape in/out could be of some help. Honestly over the 30+ years of being an AV junkie I've never even used a tape loop. The piece of gear in question is a Denon AVR 3600. Not really a vintage gem to be cherished just something laying around gathering dust. I'm trying to use up some older gear rather than send it off to the land fill. Very Mid-Fi for sure. No real resale value, but perfectly useful. It's going to be part of my garage system which I am thinking will be part ghosts of Christmas gear past. Carver CT-17 is the preamp in question and I think I have finally fixed the drawer on my Nakamichi CD-2 - all basically worthless but I can't just throw them on the scrap heap. Some guys at The Carver site pointed me in the direction of the "Direct Mode" I think that has scratched my itch for now.....but always open to any suggestions others might have. The Carver preamp does have a place for an external processor in/out but I believe that complicates matters even more. My original hope was that I could just connect the Pre out to something simple and use the Denon 3600 as an AMP only.

10 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Looks like quite a few people helping you out, even more so after this nice statement......I say it's a great forum.

Easy man, not like I kicked your dog or anything. Sorry if my message did not come off nice enough for you. I agree this is a great forum. I don't believe I ever said it was not.  It's just been my observation over the last 13 years as a member, that here more so than other forums, people tend to but not always, side track things very quickly with "I think, but not really sure...." or "This is what I have and it is great..." or "Why are you trying to do X your should be doing Y" or "That is pointless" rather than just answering a question. 

Klipsh provides this fantastic gathering place which serves as both a place to shoot the breeze and a way to exchange information. There are threads for both. I love both. If you have something meaningful to add when a person is actually trying to understand something great. If you just want to up your post count or see your words on a web page, that is fine too. I just find the later annoying when I'm actually trying to figure something out. Much like crapping on someone's for sale thread just because they are posting for the first time or posting irrelevant nonsense just to show you know more than the other guy.

Let me be clear that I am not specifically talking about the first few posts here, but my opinion, just mine in general over the many years I've participated. If I felt it was a problem I would not still be here. I don't think I hurt @willland 's or @wvu80 's feelings if I did I'm sorry. I'd expect them to PM me if they had an issue...much like maybe you should have, no?