DIFFERENCES IN FORTES

cgolf70

I'm sure this question has been discussed in the past and I'd be happy to read previous posts if someone could point me to the links.  What are the differences between the Forte I, II, & III?  I have a pair of the ones with upgraded Crites tweeter diaphragms and crossovers.  They sound fantastic.  What would I gain moving to IIs or IIIs with or without the Crites upgrades?

Hard to imagine that much better SQ!!

I'm my opinion, the twos have a nicer/cleaner mid-range sound because of tractrix mid-range horn compared to the ones. I really want to A+B the twos and threes. The threes mid-range horn with the mumps sounded awesome, but I cannot tell how much of an improvement it is without a true A+B.

I've A / B'd the I's & II's and they were very close in sound, almost hard to hear a difference at all in fact I'm not 100% sure I could have picked either out consistently in a blind test. Throughout my testing though I did give the slight edge to the II's but they were closer sounding to each other than I would have believed, at least from the sweet spot where the testing was done. 

I would love to hear the III's myself, lots of changes over the older versions. I believe I read somewhere the crossover is a steep slope design? If this is true probably one of the biggest differences over a fully updated / modified f-II. 

5 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I've A / B'd the I's & II's and they were very close in sound, almost hard to hear a difference at all in fact I'm not 100% sure I could have picked either out consistently in a blind test.  

Surprising, maybe a sense of restrain with the exponential horn vs. openness with the Tract.

5 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I've A / B'd the I's & II's and they were very close in sound, almost hard to hear a difference at all in fact I'm not 100% sure I could have picked either out consistently in a blind test

I had this same experience.  One of the midrange horns has a more vertical vs the other with a more horizontal pattern of dispersion.  For most people this won't make a big difference IMHO.

22 hours ago, Grizzog said:

I have the Chorus II and Forte III. I can say the Forte III sound much more realistic and voices are just right with them. The Chorus sound bigger, obviously, but I'd choose the Forte III all day long.

Have you done the Crites upgrades on the Chorus II's? The drop in replacement crossovers really add the finishing touch in detail. If the forte III can top a fully updated pair of Chorus II's that's saying a lot although I've suspected just the titanium mid upgrade on the forte II should really level the playing field with its slightly bumped up output.

The Forte iii doesn't just have titanium diaphragm updates. It has a new woofer, completely different mid horn and driver, new crossover design, updated internal cabinet volume, passive placement, new tweeter horn, etc.

Just putting a titanium diaphragm and updated caps into the previous ones won't bring them to the level of updates the new one has.

I am by no means saying the I and II aren't good. They are fantastic. It's just that Roy has absolutely knocked it out of the park with these new ones and to think that changing a diaphragm is all he did would be doing him and the new ones a serious injustice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2