La Scalla speakers

rock

This depends heavily on how you are using them.  If you're using them for music exclusively I think you can get away without a sub.   If you're using them for rap/pop/electronic music you'll need a sub.  If you're using them for home theater, you'll need a sub.   If you're using them in an office or den, you probably don't need a sub.

I always ran subwoofers with mine, but recently I put them in my office with a Marantz PM 5005 and a Chromecast audio.  It is a FANTASTIC setup and its perfectly fine in this setting without a sub, and it's not a powerful amp.   I EQ the bass up a little, but that's it.  

Resized_20171117_094009.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rock said:

Saving to buy new La Scalla speakers. Do I need a pair of subwoofers? If so which do you suggest? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buying new, as in NEW La Scala II's, or buying new to you vintage La Scala's?

NEW La Scala II's are (MSRP), $8000.00 per pair.  Vintage La Scala's (some in beautiful condition) go for under $2000.00 per pair.

I ran Klipsch THX-Ultra2 subs and amp with great success.  They are powerful and musical, but they are expensive.  As always, you can find them used for less.  I'd think if you were buying a NEW set of LaScala's you could get somebody to deal on the complete package.  That would be a big-money order for sure. 

I've never heard LaScala-ii, but with the modern titanium drivers and heavier cabinets I'd assume they are amazing.  

3 minutes ago, Frzninvt said:

An EQ is not going to increase the overall bass frequency response as it is limited by the horn design itself.  Without a subwoofer you will be missing the two lower octaves of bass.

Yeah, they only go down to 51hz,  that may be fine for some situations, but that's also why I said if you're listening to rap/pop/electronic, or home theater, you'll need a sub.

1 hour ago, derrickdj1 said:

We don't see LaScala post often in the subwoofer forum, he, he.

I think it was more of a sub question and yes you need a sub for music with Lascalas.  I ran one for years with mine then sold the sub when I remodeled the room the Lascalas were in.  I finished the remodel and put the system back together sans sub.  Boy I really miss it.  You lose about an octave of music without a sub and to me it's very noticeable.

4 minutes ago, Wim M said:

With this same sentence, it all started 10 months ago.  It ended with something like this :D La Scala IIs paired with 2 TubaHTs

Nice! 

You are from the country of my two favorite motocross champions, 5-time Open Class World Champion Roger DeCoster and 6-time 250 champ Joel Robert. 

I named my youngest son Joel.  B)

• Like 1

Just now, wvu80 said:

Nice! 

You are from the country of my two favorite motocross champions, 5-time Open Class World Champion Roger DeCoster and 6-time 250 champ Joel Robert. 

I named my youngest son Joel.  B)

I remember going to the motocross with my father.  Me as a 10 year old kid with my Roger De Coster T-shirt on!  Shouting to Roger on his Suzuki.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wim M said:

I remember going to the motocross with my father.  Me as a 10 year old kid with my Roger De Coster T-shirt on!  Shouting to Roger on his Suzuki.

I watched DeCoster and Robert here in the states, both on factory Suzukis at the time.  He raced on the same track I did.  I turned lap times about 3:50, DeCoster did the same lap in about 2:12!  That means he would have lapped me about every three laps.

It was so exciting watching the Europeans in the late '60s early '70's come here and kick the butt of every American, none of whom could even make top ten.  The euros were so dominant the race sponsors had to come up with a special award of "Top American" because otherwise they wouldn't have won a thing!

I always wanted to visit Belgium and see motocross on your soil from the masters.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I watched DeCoster and Robert here in the states, both on factory Suzukis at the time.  He raced on the same track I did.  I turned lap times about 3:50, DeCoster did the same lap in about 2:12!  That means he would have lapped me about every three laps.

It was so exciting watching the Europeans in the late '60s early '70's come here and kick the butt of every American, none of whom could even make top ten.  The euros were so dominant the race sponsors had to come up with a special award of "Top American" because otherwise they wouldn't have won a thing!

I always wanted to visit Belgium and see motocross on your soil from the masters.

Belgium is known for its chocolat and special beer, but as you say, we have always had a great tradition in motocross too.  (and there is also a little guy building big subs, LOL)  We have some nice tracks, most of them on heavy clay ground.  And when it rains, and believe me it does a lot, things get dirty and messy.  Spectacular to watch, but I guess pilots as well as equipment have a hard time.

• Like 1

I am using a simple 15" direct radiating subwoofer with mine... It works well enough,  but I have the sub tuned/crossed low and it fills only the lowest registers otherwise it is blooming and unfocused. 

The LS is exceptionally good down low even though it's only effective to 50Hz or so... it's focused and tight and just needs a controlled little help below that for music... Home Theater is another story because you'll need a lot of help for LFE.

On 11/17/2017 at 1:12 PM, CECAA850 said:

I think it was more of a sub question and yes you need a sub for music with Lascalas.  I ran one for years with mine then sold the sub when I remodeled the room the Lascalas were in.  I finished the remodel and put the system back together sans sub.  Boy I really miss it.  You lose about an octave of music without a sub and to me it's very noticeable.

You probably especially missed it after first having it.

I intentionally turned my sub off the other day listening to music, it did make a difference.