Anyone still using a Panasonic SA-XR series or other digital amp?

wuzzzer

I'm still enjoying my SA-XR57 that I've had for several years.  Finally got around to getting a dedicated CD player (a cheap Sony 5 disc changer at that) and have to say that the sound using KG-4s with titanium tweeters is pretty awesome.  Really liking the Panasonic for HT use as well.  Of course using the digital inputs in the Panasonic is a must and fortunately the model I have has two optical, two coaxial and one HDMI input.

I've been enjoying listening to my favorite CDs all over again.  Yes, I still listen to CDs! :wacko:

Had old school Panasonic and liked them. Remember here about the newfound digitals doing good job. May still do it. My rotel multi-player was really decent. Sony CD multi I betcha sounds decent with the KG-4-s. Even using RCA. Only have my 5 disc Yamaha. Cool...

• Like 1

I've been enjoying it SA-XR700 for a few years now. If mostly used it connected to my PC since it's good myopia HDMI inputs, I can switch between work and personal computers, and it connects well to my Quintets in the office, and my La Scalas in the garage (multi-zone). Very versatile receiver.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

I have an XR-50 in the closet and an XR-70 in one of my setups just used for Karaoke vocals through RB5s.  Still works great though sounds a little thin.  Needs careful speaker matching.  Doesn't get a ton of use other than that since I have too many other mono blocks around.  The fact that I have both XRs compared to my $4K Bel Cantos does point to the fact that there is some magic there.

I have several (access to SA-XR25, XR45, XR55, XR-70 and XR-57) and think they sound similar to reported here...with good source material either movies or for music on DVDs it sounds very good...can be a bit sterile (rather than thin to my ears) with CDs and some speakers I'd guess...I also used RB-5s and thought they did a fine job for CD music (2 channel)...

I've used KSB 1.1s, kg2s, kg4s, Heresys, Quartets, Chorus lls in addition to the previously mentioned RB-5s...

Currently have the XR-55 in the garage with the KSB 1.1s...the XR-57 is hooked up to my TV on the main floor and Quartets with a KLF-C7 center, XR-25s and the XR-45 at family members houses (with KG 1s, kg4s and KSB 1.1s) mostly for 2 channel sound...I think the XR-70 is unattached right now...

I think they are well worth the money if you can find them for their intended purpose be it multichannel TV/light Home Theater duty or the later popularity as 2 channel digital with properly matched speakers...a lot of bang for the buck.

Several who have replied here already are the reason I started buying them...but I did get a bit out of hand too...;)

Bill

• 1 year later...

Ok, giving this a shot. Hopefully it doesn't go in to the void.

I have a Panasonic SA-XR45. When I first got it I had a TV with compatible technology. The surround sound worked for the TV audio, tuner audio, CD audio - even a VCR!

Now I have a TCL Roku TV (model 40FS3800). It has an SPDIF audio output, RCA INputs, (2) HDMI jacks (which I don't know if they're outputs or inputs) an ARC audio out and a headphone 3.5mm audio out jack.

I have mansged to get TV audio to come through the surround system via an optical cable, disabling the TV internal speakers and choosing PCM on the TV audio settings. However it's only utilizing 2 of my five speakers. Bummer!

I've done a fair amount of googling. My head's about to explode.

What it SEEMS is in order to get full use of the surround system I should be using this thing (or something very much like it):

J-Tech Digital HDMI 1.4 Switch Switcher Box Selector 3 in 1 Out Audio Extractor w/Optical SPDIF & RCA L/R Audio Out & IR Control Supports ARC, MHL, 4K, Full 3D, 4kx2k, 1080P (Support Apple TV 4Gen)

found on Amazon.

I have cables of all kinds.

I AM NOT A TECH-HEAD whatsoever. It's miraculous I've gotten this far.

Is this $39 thing what I need? If it is, how exactly (I mean I need step-by-step) do I hook it up? Will I need to choose certain TV audio settings? Will I be able to get surround sound for Netflix, Youtube, Amazon Prime video (I stream 99.9% of the time) using this thing?

If anybody can assist please keep your explanations and instructions basic, basic, basic, basic.

Thank you!!! I really want ALL my speakers to be in use for my TV audio.

Well, as the originator of this thread I feel obligated to help.  🙂

I just bought a similar device because I'm in a similar situation.  Using an older Sony ES receiver that I love but is pre hdmi.  I just bought this on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Extractor-Converter-Amazon-Optical-Support/dp/B07QY631QR/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr0_1?keywords=roku+audio+extractor+optical&qid=1571801002&sr=8-1-fkmr0

How I have it connected is hdmi from my roku stick into the box, then another hdmi into my TV.  The box extracts the audio portion of the hdmi signal then I have an optical digital cable going from the box to my receiver.  I, too, was annoyed by only being able to listen in two channel when I used my roku stick.

It looks like the device you posted can handle more than one hdmi input?  For me I only needed it for my roku stick so the one I bought only has a single hdmi in. 

I really hope that helps!

• 1 year later...

I didn't want to start a new thread on this since this one exists albeit a bit old now...so...is anyone still enjoying their Panasonic SA-XR55 digital with Klipsch for 2 channel???

I had to return a Nakamichi TA-2A that I borrowed and at least for the time being I placed this in a system with a Cambridge Audio Azur 640C V2 with both Diana Krall and Norah Jones singing sweetly but separately (ladies please! ;) ) through Bob and Michael Crites updated Klipsch Quartets...

I haven't listened to this combo in quite some time for 2 channel sound...very nice and very clean...

I'd like to hear back from those that still enjoy this or have moved on and to what...share if you care to...

Thanks,

Bill

33 minutes ago, silversport said:

I'd like to hear back from those that still enjoy this or have moved on and to what...share if you care to...

Thanks,

Bill

After my Panasonic I went with a refurbished Pioneer Elite SC-LX 501 through accessories4less.  Gave the Panasonic to a friend in trade for some work done on our old house.  I liked the bluetooth ability of the Pioneer and it had plenty of power. 

I then ran across a 2003 Sony STR-DA5000ES for $40 (originally $1,600) that I couldn't pass up and loved how it sounded so much I sold the Pioneer on here. 

Still have the Sony.  It is pre-hdmi and no bluetooth of course but the sound quality more than makes up for it. 

• Thanks 1