Proof that Bose people really are clueless.....

Mighty Favog

5 minutes ago, Mighty Favog said:

Copy and paste the whole line. Not just the underlined link.

I did cut and paste the entire link.  Nothing, but I'll try again.

What are you doing anyway, searching Cinci Craigslist for Bose?  Are you needing another pair?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wdecho said:

I had a pair of the 901 series 2 and I really enjoyed them until I heard a pair of K-horns. Used 200 watts per channel before they really woke up but this was the old inefficient versions.  I know we trash Bose all the time but I liked them better than the old acoustic suspension speakers popular at the time. Before the 901's I owned a pair of AR-3's. No dynamics or soundstage to speak of, very dull sounding compared to horns or 901's. 

Your experience somewhat mirrors my own.  I had 1st gen 901s powered by a Dynaco ST-400.  They were better than the excellent Dynaco A25s they replaced.  I sold them when I went to law school. In my parents’ large family room, suspended from ceiling beams, Texaco Opera Theater was stunning.

Soon thereafter I purchased four Speakerlab SKhorns for use in a tuition generating mobile DJ biz.  Been hooked on high efficiency horn-loaded speakers ever since. 

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Those are some oldies.  Probably not a good surround in the lot.

The early sealed 901s had drivers with cloth surrounds and metal baskets with 4 mounting holes.  These appear to be that vintage and could very well work as described.  Later ported 901s had drivers with foam surrounds and plastic baskets with 3 mounting holes. As you suggest, the surrounds would be well past it by now.

BTW, they were never intended to be in corners, but rather, appropriately 2’ from the rear wall and 3’+ from the side walls.

11918753-B4C6-432D-A22F-289C3E0B675E.jpeg

BE674D19-EE92-4AF4-93E2-1E8DE58CDC6B.jpeg

DFB6F4A8-5389-41F8-81F2-72E42F349695.jpeg

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

The early sealed 901s had drivers with cloth surrounds and metal baskets with 4 mounting holes.  These appear to be that vintage and could very well work as described.  Later ported 901s had drivers with foam surrounds and plastic baskets with 3 mounting holes. As you suggest, the surrounds would be well past it by now.

BTW, they were never intended to be in corners, but rather, appropriately 2’ from the rear wall and 3’+ from the side walls.

11918753-B4C6-432D-A22F-289C3E0B675E.jpeg

DFB6F4A8-5389-41F8-81F2-72E42F349695.jpeg

That's an $8 speaker 

37 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

That's an $8 speaker 

If that.  Foam surrounds are avoided by me religiously.  I know, my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 have foam surrounds, that’s but one failure of faith I’ve committed.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

Always wanted to hear a pair for myself out of curiosity. They are an iconic historical speaker.

don't bother...had a pair of 901's..

that need refoaming...

my speaker tech said your wasting

money...and turned me on to la scala's

10 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

Didn’t say I wanted a pair would just like to hear them. Aside from the little cube systems and small wall mounted model you see in pubs I have never even seen a Bose speaker.

there sound.   all midrange...

no highs and no lows....

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

Always wanted to hear a pair for myself out of curiosity. They are an iconic historical speaker.

Compared A/B to Khorns. What a joke. Even the sales guy said "Bose reps used to say that no amp could blow them up, but we did it with a Cerwin Vega 4000"

Funny stuff. Being that most of the sound was bounced off the wall, making the wall, effectively, a large sound source, they RAMMED bass and treble into those poor little midrange drivers (which were 1 ohm in series for an 8 ohm rating with an outboard EQ. PWK measured 14% IM distortion at 90 db vs. 1% for a Khorn at 100 db, with the Khorn having way less power input. Going back to my teens now about this.

• Like 2