Proof that Bose people really are clueless.....

Mighty Favog

5 minutes ago, richieb said:

While we rightly or wrongly use Bose for audio fodder no one can cast negative to their superb marketing. Bose and Klipsch had their opposing views of speaker design but Bose certainly took their marketing to another level. I don't think that can be denied ---

" If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth ."  Joseph Goebbels

I never really understood the Bose bashing. Do Bose speakers sound like klipsch? No fricken way. But we can list a hundred other speakers that don’t either. 

Some people like the sound of Bose just like some people think a Linn turntable is the end all. I personally am not a fan of either but I certainly cannot know what others hear. They obviously hear somethings that I do not. But if everyone heard what I hear there wouldn’t be as many manufacturers of audio equipment as there are because everyone would own what I have. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, joshnich said:

I never really understood the Bose bashing. Do Bose speakers sound like klipsch? No fricken way. But we can list a hundred other speakers that don’t either. 

Some people like the sound of Bose just like some people think a Linn turntable is the end all. I personally am not a fan of either but I certainly cannot know what others hear. They obviously hear somethings that I do not. But if everyone heard what I hear there wouldn’t be as many manufacturers of audio equipment as there are because everyone would own what I have. 

we're not bashing bose...anybody

can market anything at anytime...

and claim it to be the best....or what ever terms or wording to imply so....

only you ( end consumer ) is the only

person or being has too...believe so

..in less other wise believe so....and so forth 

believe what you want....but watch

your wallet....

like the age old saying....a fool with money.  soon parted........

4 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Not really a shame, all of their profits go to education (MIT).  Dr. Bose donated his controlling interest to MIT upon his death.

I guess I worded it wrong. It's a shame they reached their #1 world status through marketing, not product development.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, richieb said:

While we rightly or wrongly use Bose for audio fodder no one can cast negative to their superb marketing. Bose and Klipsch had their opposing views of speaker design but Bose certainly took their marketing to another level. I don't think that can be denied ---

The Kardashians, Real Housewives and all other reality TV also has superior marketing, but it is all just crap too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wdecho said:

My Ex was always pushing my 901's against the wall where they looked better in her opinion.

Like wdecho, I too had and enjoyed 901s when fed 200 watts/channel.  In the proper situation they were quite good; the requisite Bose equalizer provides the highs and lows often joked about, but that demanded serious power.

A friend had 901s in bookcase cubby holes with the 8 drivers right against the backs and no clearance on the sides.  I turned them around so at least the eight drivers were facing into the room and only the lonely single drivers were crammed against the backs of the bookcase.  The next time I was there they had been turned around again.  You can lead a horse to water . . . 

• Like 1

I've said it before and will repeat. Bose has a very nice product in the L1 Model 2(with Tonematch) PA. Not only is it easier for the roadie (me) to deal with, it just sounds better than anything I've heard for vocals and acoustic guitar. I've even had a bass guitar plugged in to it (we also have the larger B2 Bass module) and it performs very very well. They got one right, although I doubt Dr Bose had anything to do with it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Not really a shame, all of their profits go to education (MIT).  Dr. Bose donated his controlling interest to MIT upon his death.

It seems he donated the 51% of shares but for dividend purposes only. MIT has no voting rights or control.

I also had two pair of 901 Series IV until the surrounds rotted. Gave them to a buddy with the understanding that he would have them repair. Bose authorized the repair for $150 / pair. My friend met his maker in a motorcycle vs. drunken driver accident while they were been repaired.

• Sad 1

Was in the richest mall in the DC area today.  Walked by a Bose Store, and right next to it was a Dyson store. I'm thinking the Dyson stuff sounded better, but both were way overpriced with crummy aesthetics thrown in. Both will do definite damage to your ears.  Moved quickly past them lest I barf.

• Haha 2

On 2017-11-20 at 7:30 AM, wstrickland1 said:

I've said it before and will repeat. Bose has a very nice product in the L1 Model 2(with Tonematch) PA. Not only is it easier for the roadie (me) to deal with, it just sounds better than anything I've heard for vocals and acoustic guitar. I've even had a bass guitar plugged in to it (we also have the larger B2 Bass module) and it performs very very well. They got one right, although I doubt Dr Bose had anything to do with it.

There is a young guy up here who has two of them he uses for acoustic sets he does at a couple of the pubs, they actually do sound very good. I was amazed, it doesn’t look like they should be able to put out as much sound as they do. He told me pretty much what you said, easy for him to handle by himself and they fit in the back of his Jeep no problem.