New Cornwall Issue: Should I be concerned?

ODS123

Darn it!  Lovin' my new Cornwalls but tonight I noticed this....  The mid-range Driver is not completely counter-sunk into the baffle and is a bit off kilter.  The other speaker does not not have this issue..  This either means it's not torqued down all the way, or the relief in the baffle is not totally square.  ..I could try tightening the screws but worry I might strip the wood.

Would this bother you to the point of returning the speakers or putting in a warranty claim?  ..While I don't hear a difference b/w the speakers I'm kinda bugged knowing this.  ..I can't help fixating a bit on it.  for $4200, this shouldn't be.  Thoughts?  

driverflaw.jpg

Edited by ODS123

I'd send that pic to Klipsch support with your concern. Don't put a tool to it until you get their blessings as to not void your warranty.

Looks like there is space above the horn to raise it and re tighten but again, document their ok to do so if they allow it and still will honor the warranty.

8 minutes ago, TasDom said:

I'd send that pic to Klipsch support with your concern. Don't put a tool to it until you get their blessings as to not void your warranty.

Looks like there is space above the horn to raise it and re tighten but again, document their ok to do so if they allow it and still will honor the warranty.

Thank you both for your reply.  ..I'll do as you suggest TasDom, though I'm not optimistic.  The driver doesn't move at all when I firmly press on the raised corner.  I don't think theres's empty space beneath it.  Best case scenario is there's wood debris (from the CNC/ Router) that's keeping it from seating.  If they give me the go-ahead I'll remove the driver and see if I can clear it.  Worst case: the recess wasn't squarely cut and no amount of tightening will get the driver to lie flush.  I suppose it's also possible the driver has some excess flange that wasn't trimmed and replacing the driver itself would take care of it.  Anyway, this is so disappointing. Things happen of course. Not a biggie in the grand scheme of things..

Edited by ODS123

1 hour ago, Frzninvt said:

Could be that the horn gasket is folded over and not allowing it to sit flush.

Could very well be!  ..Almost hoping so because I could easily fix it.  But again, I'm not inclined to take a screw driver to it until Klipsch assures me doing so won't void the warranty.  The mid horn on the other speaker is perfectly flush, as are all the other drivers in both speakers.  So annoying.  This issue wouldn't be possible with their other speakers (non-heritage) b/c the Gold speakers have a piece of trim that would only fit if the driver is flush.  ..

So my question is: If I can't fix it (with instructions and maybe a new driver from Klipsch), would you live with it as is or insist that Klipsch (or dealer - as they are still w/in return period) replaces the speakers?  And I do mean both speakers b/c i wouldn't want a non-sequential pair.  

Edited by ODS123

One of my Forte 1 midrange horns has this to a degree - the bottom left corner of the horn is raised a couple mm from the baffle.  The screws are tight and will not turn anymore, so tightening the screws may do nothing in your case.

See what Klipsch has to say.  They may or may not consider it a manufacturing defect.  I assume they have manufacturing tolerances for horn/driver flushness.

I just watch my 2 CWIII in my living room, I have since 18 months and I never looked if she had this fault.

They have a bit the same defect but much less marked than on your picture. The top of the horn is very slightly embedded in the wood of a few tenth of a millimeter (0.01 inch) and the bottom left slightly exceeds a millimeter (0.0393701 inch) of wood. Bottom right is at zero right on the wood.

:unsure:

A few months ago I calmly tightened all the screws of the speakers, because with the vibrations they tend to unscrew a little. I did about a quarter turn on almost every screw. The speakers did not move.

:)

• Like 1

Spoke w/ Klipsch today, they happily gave me the green light to attempt repair and agreed to assume risk if something went wrong. But they also told me they had no Cornwalls in stock meaning it would be 8 or more wks to get a new pair to my dealer if I couldn't fix the defective speaker.

Recalling that my dealer had one remaining pair of Cherry Cornwalls in stock I decided to just call the dealer and set up a return/exchange, I didn't want to wait 8 wks for a replacement pair if my repair attempt failed. So I pick up the replacements tomorrow. The dealer (Worldwide Stereo in Ardmore, PA) was very very nice about it. ..Saying, "you spent a lot, you deserve to have a perfect pair of speakers."

A heartfelt thanks to those who weighed in on how to attempt this repair. ..I'm sorry I never put your advice to practical use. :)

Edited by ODS123
  • Like 1

Good question.  ..Probably not b/c I'll be a bit pressed for time, plus these are so big and heavy that just packing/unpacking is a risky affair.  ..Wouldn't be hard to scratch or mar them in some way in a crowded audio showroom w/ people walking around.   ...But I told the dealer that I'll be returning the next pair if they have the same issue.  ..I also told the Tech Support rep at Klipsch.

If the replacement pair has the same issue I'll tell Klipsch that I want them to personally inspect the next pair before boxing them and shipping to my dealer.  I'm hopeful the replacements will be fine.  ..fingers crossed.

Edited by ODS123
  • Like 1

I wish you hadn't had to start this; I just noticed a significant bulge in my center Cornwall III grill. Haven't investigated but maybe where a retention magnet is; facing speaker 1/3 distance across from right to left edge of grill

2 hours ago, ODS123 said:

Good question.  ..Probably not b/c I'll be a bit pressed for time, plus these are so big and heavy that just packing/unpacking is a risky affair.  ..Wouldn't be hard to scratch or mar them in some way in a crowded audio showroom w/ people walking around.   ...But I told the dealer that I'll be returning the next pair if they have the same issue.  ..I also told the Tech Support rep at Klipsch.

If the replacement pair has the same issue I'll tell Klipsch that I want them to personally inspect the next pair before boxing them and shipping to my dealer.  I'm hopeful the replacements will be fine.  ..fingers crossed.

Glad it worked out ok, hope the new pair passes the inspection. Is the pair you're sending back cherry also?

Thanks everyone. Yes, I'll return to let all know the 2nd pair is perfect.

Not to be too sanctimonious but Klipsch should take heed. ..Yes, it's about the sound, but fit/finish do matter to people. Below is a picture of Klipsch's R-24F, their $340/pr. entry-level floor-stander tweeter, pictured alongside my $4200 pair Cornwall tweeter from their signature Heritage line. The Cornwall tweeter is hid beneath a thick Grill, whereas the R-24F is not covered. ..This, I suppose, necessitates that the fit of the R-24F driver be nice and tidy while the grill of the Cornwall allows it to be a bit less so. ..But given the huge investment, it is pretty upsetting for the Heritage line owner to find the fit/finish is no where near as clean.

So if your reading this, Klipsch, please make sure this most definitely a very very rare occurrence.

Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 9.52.48 PM.png

2 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

Thanks everyone. Yes, I'll return to let all know the 2nd pair is perfect.

Not to be too sanctimonious but Klipsch should take heed. ..Yes, it's about the sound, but fit/finish do matter to people. Below is a picture of Klipsch's R-24F, their $340/pr. entry-level floor-stander tweeter, pictured alongside my $4200 pair Cornwall tweeter from their signature Heritage line. The Cornwall tweeter is hid beneath a thick Grill, whereas the R-24F is not covered. ..This, I suppose, necessitates that the fit of the R-24F driver be nice and tidy while the grill of the Cornwall allows it to be a bit less so. ..But given the huge investment, it is pretty upsetting for the Heritage line owner to find the fit/finish is no where near as clean. So if your reading this, Klipsch, please make sure this most definitely a very very rare occurrence.

Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 9.52.48 PM.png

That is and should be totally unacceptable.......Where is the final inspection??

George

• Like 1