Suggestion for HT Receiver

Klippy26

I presently have an Onkyo TX NR626 reciever that is now powering my new Klipsch R26 F's.  The Onkyo's have a trait for being slightly on the bright side and is more amplified with the new Klipsch speakers.  Was thinking about going with Denon or Marantz to tone that brightness down a bit despite going through a complete calibration with the Audyssey EQ.  Wondered if anyone else did the same.  I love the detail in the Klipsch but just a tad on the bright side.  I'm not sure if "bright" is the correct word to use.  Maybe it should be the horn sound. :-)

Welcome to the forum.

Before swapping AVRs to another brand, experiment with placement, toe-in, and acoustic treatments like fluffy pillows and drapes/curtains.  I have always found Onkyo/Klipsch combos to be close to spot on neutral with very good detail.  Now if you are also looking for the most up to date features like Atmos and 4K then by all means go shopping.  

Which version of Audyssey does your Onkyo have?

Bill

I am running a 5.1 system and have no real desire for Atmos and buying more speakers, etc.   I have no idea which version of Audyssey I'm running.  All I can see is Audyssey MultEQ dynamic volume.  I would say my room is very well dampened with thick wall to wall carpet and a few couches.  Nothing on walls to cut down or absorb any harshness.  Not so sure the Audyssey is working correctly.  This was the first time I calibrated the system and got a low subwoofer level where I had to crank it up 5db.  I calibrated twice with same results.  When I had the Def Tech subwoofer I had to back it down.  Doesn't make sense to me.

Using an Onkyo NR-646 and it is "not bad."  But ... mostly used as surround sound .. have Cornwall's hooked up to a Marantz 2252B on the "same" system and it is terrific. Have been looking for an upgrade for quite  a while and picked the Marantz SR-5011 ( confined by my cabinet space, so could not go "bigger"   see https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr5011/marantz-sr5011-7.2-ch-x-100-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html#!specifications for a great price  ). It does have a "line out" so you could use a better amp plus better speakers to add onto your system.

Cheers, Emile

4 hours ago, Klippy26 said:

I presently have an Onkyo TX NR626 reciever that is now powering my new Klipsch R26 F's.  The Onkyo's have a trait for being slightly on the bright side and is more amplified with the new Klipsch speakers.  Was thinking about going with Denon or Marantz to tone that brightness down a bit despite going through a complete calibration with the Audyssey EQ.  Wondered if anyone else did the same.  I love the detail in the Klipsch but just a tad on the bright side.  I'm not sure if "bright" is the correct word to use.  Maybe it should be the horn sound. :-)

Instead of paying $500-$1000 for a warmer sounding receiver, just upgrade the speakers to the RP-280f’s which are not as bright and are a huge upgrade to your current speakers. You get the best of both worlds, a warmer sound and speakers that are much better than what you currently have. Call Mike at Acoustic Sound Design or pm @MetropolisLakeOutfitters for pricing on the 280’s you will save some serious money.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Emile said:

Sorry, but this sounds like a "seller" to me :( You either like the sound of Klipsch, or you don't. No need to go from 26's to 280's. :)  

There are significant reasons to go from R-26F's to RP-280F's, the biggest of which is the titanium tweeter instead of aluminum plus the new horn, they are significantly smoother and less harsh at higher volume.  And yes I'm a seller, but that don't make it a false statement.  

• Like 2

On 11/18/2017 at 6:45 PM, wuzzzer said:

Imo Onkyo to Denon would be a lateral move.  Marantz would be an upgrade.

Also as willand stated your room will have a bigger impact on sound than amplification will unless there's something wrong with your amplification.

Nothing wrong with amplification.  I just believe Onkyo amps do sound a little brighter than say Denon or Marantz.  That was the first think I noticed when I replaced by old Denon receiver with the Onkyo and that is when I was using Def Tech Pro Monitors.  I'm a newbie here but have been around the hobby quite some time.  First receiver was an HH Scott so that will give you an idea of my age. :-)

Scott_345.JPG

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

There are significant reasons to go from R-26F's to RP-280F's, the biggest of which is the titanium tweeter instead of aluminum plus the new horn, they are significantly smoother and less harsh at higher volume.  And yes I'm a seller, but that don't make it a false statement.  

I thank you for your suggestion but with a fixed income, the RP280F's are a little out of my budget right now.  What I did notice yesterday while watching a Blu Ray movie is that there was no brightness, at least not like I experience with music CDs.  Same goes with TV viewing.  Just hear the nice detail and no harshness.  My CD player certainly isn't state of the art.  It's an old Sony recorder/player I specifically bought to transfer about 500 45rpm records to CD's.  I was a wedding/party DJ many years ago and many of the tunes I had cannot be found, especially the ones by the one song wonders.  Granted, not the best quality coming from 45's but good enough for background party music.

On 11/19/2017 at 2:14 AM, garyrc said:

MultiEQ is a low grade version, MultiEQ XT is better, and MultiEQ XT 32 is reputed to be the best.  Even if you stick with MultiEQ, read this through; it's the best I've seen.  "Audyssey FAQ Linked Here"

Thanks for the link.  Very interesting.  After reading your equipment list I am pretty impressed.  I can just imagine what that sounds like.  I once heard a pair of Klipschorns at a high end stereo shop in Detroit.  It was just awesome and when I got home and listened to my system, I never turned it on again for almost two weeks.  Back then I thought I had a decent system consisting of a Empire Troubadour Turntable, Fisher 500 receiver and Acoustic Research AR3 speakers.

• Like 1

Audyssey is great imo regardless of room conditions

in a highly reflective room it helps lower some of the ringing 

in a treated room it makes speakers even better

the issue is not just the speakers its the room

brightness comes from strong reflections of high frequencies

different speakers or avr could help but you are fighting the room

consider a few early reflection acoustic panels....they would improve ANY setup you have and will eliminate the brightness

the underlying problem is the room....fix it you can use any speaker

otherwise you are working around the room issues

You can’t go wrong with a Marantz. You can quite often find factory refurbs very reasonably priced (how I bought mine). If things are sounding good with other inputs it could be the actual CD player. Fortunately they are not crazy expensive and as an option many BR players do CDs very well.