Titanium tweet for Forte II - should I reuse the fiber material?

bkevind

Nope, throw it away.  Bob says so on the installation instructions.

Make sure to let us know your impressions!  The Ti diaphragms I have made their journey from a pair of forte IIs, then a pair of Chorus, then KG-4s.  Pretty awesome that they're so versatile and an amazing bang for the buck!

• Like 1

I am surprised to hear that Bob suggests to not use the tweeter damping. I add tweeter damping to all my tweeters along with a layer of dynamat on the pole this all helps to minimize reflections and smear. I would suggest that folks do an evaluation with and with out. No way they will sound better without.

That the damping material being used should not foul either the voice  coil or the diaphragm under drive is a given here. If your install work is sloppy or you do not pay attention to detail and you get bad results then that is to be expected.

11 hours ago, moray james said:

I am surprised to hear that Bob suggests to not use the tweeter damping. I add tweeter damping to all my tweeters along with a layer of dynamat on the pole this all helps to minimize reflections and smear. I would suggest that folks do an evaluation with and with out. No way they will sound better without.

Agree 100%.  I would think the damping would be beneficial for the dome ringing, reflections, and time smear as moray states.  I know the damping is the key to many high end tweeters sounding sweater and having better waterfalls but give a listen I guess.

16 hours ago, moray james said:

This is wrong at least for the diaphragm the OP is talking about.  That fiber or anything else touching that extremely delicate titanium dome will damage it.  Even a  fluffy cotton ball will damage it.

Bob Crites

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, BEC said:

This is wrong at least for the diaphragm the OP is talking about.  That fiber or anything else touching that extremely delicate titanium dome will damage it.  Even a  fluffy cotton ball will damage it.

Bob Crites

Bob, guessing that would be the same for chorus 1 and 11s? Thanks!

ok I can fully agree with being concerned with damping material touching the diaphragm. I would suggest that damping can be applied and not have it touch the diaphragm. Perhaps not by some who may lack the ability to do fine work. Dense felt domes need to match in size and profile, perhaps the more common small fiberglass pads often found in dome tweeters would be of use? Even a little damping is better than none. Tweeters with damping properly installed under the diaphragm sound much better than the same unit with no damping.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Nope, throw it away.  Bob says so on the installation instructions.

Make sure to let us know your impressions!  The Ti diaphragms I have made their journey from a pair of forte IIs, then a pair of Chorus, then KG-4s.  Pretty awesome that they're so versatile and an amazing bang for the buck!

Instructions?  I don't know what that word means :D

4 hours ago, BEC said:

Bob Crites

Thank you Bob!  I suppose next time I'll actually look the instructions you took your time and effort to write up.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

@BEC So no cotton at all.  I hope i did not damage the tweeters.  I put the diaphrams on last month when finally they arrived then i got them off since they where too harsh and bright on my modified and recapped kg4.  Then i put them back yesterday, adding the cotton there was inside the old phenolic membranes.  They played beautifully all day.  I  just stopped them now.  I will open the mid-tweeters again and take cotton off. How do i see if they are damaged?

Edited by Stel1963

• 2 months later...

@BEC Thanks Bob for the help on the ti diaphragms of my kg4. Finally i took off the cotton and i got back your TI diagphrams on the modified kg4. It seems the titanium was not damaged yet.  It took about 100 hours to settle down, with the sound passing slowly from a little harsh to very smooth, transparent and clear.  The definition and the air around instruments is awesome.  They became my reference speakers and now they are in the main system. They are sounding so well i bought them a pair of SET made by an artisan in Italy with 2a3 tubes and Tamura transformers.  Now their sound is simply fantastic.  Best set up i had in 45 years!   Well, 300$ speakers driven by 40.000$ tube equipment and i dont regret any speaker i ever had.  KG4 are incredible, and so much undervalued and misunderstood! A real surprise.  I was so excited I bought a La Scala from 1973.  Well, they will need work.  Even recapped they don’t sound not even close to the kg4.  I will need your advice again this summer to make them sing.  

On 11/18/2017 at 6:59 PM, moray james said:

That the damping material being used should not foul either the voice  coil or the diaphragm under drive is a given here. If your install work is sloppy or you do not pay attention to detail and you get bad results then that is to be expected.

Good Sound Advice.