Tube Amp for newbie

Emile

Hi All,

Been searching and searching ... many posts, but not much for a "newcomer" to tube amps :( 

Tried a (cheap) 23W/ch Pilot 230 tube amp in my small "stereo test room," and wasn't impressed. Although the sound was "different," I preferred my Marantz 1060 hooked up to Forte's and KG4's there.  

Went through pages and pages in the "garage sale" section, but so far no luck. :(  Also ... sorry, but am too cheap to get a Mac 275 (locally at $6000) just to "try it." :) Looking for a good tube amp for $500-$1000. Any comments are appreciated. :) 

Cheers, Emile

15 hours ago, Emile said:

Hi All,

Been searching and searching ... many posts, but not much for a "newcomer" to tube amps :( 

Tried a (cheap) 23W/ch Pilot 230 tube amp in my small "stereo test room," and wasn't impressed. Although the sound was "different," I preferred my Marantz 1060 hooked up to Forte's and KG4's there.  

Went through pages and pages in the "garage sale" section, but so far no luck. :(  Also ... sorry, but am too cheap to get a Mac 275 (locally at $6000) just to "try it." :) Looking for a good tube amp for $500-$1000. Any comments are appreciated. :) 

Cheers, Emile

this is in the garage sale thread

• Thanks 1

1118171658a.jpgAll kinds of good stuff in your budget. That Pilot is a good piece. Was it restored? If not that was the probably most of the problem. I'm partial to vintage Fisher stuff myself with my Cornwalls. Presently using both a 500C receiver, about 35 watts, and and X101B integrated, about 24 watts. Both sound great, but both have been properly restored by somebody who knows their way around these things. Because I don't. Once they are restored, they are pretty much good to go other then the occasional minor maintenance(tube goes bad, inputs need cleaning/a shot of DeOxit). Great pieces made to last these are. 

The message here is that in your budget there's plenty of great stuff in your budget ball park. Look around, but if you do go vintage either know how to get in there and do the work or make sure it's electrically good to go. Quality vintage gear with classic Klipsch is a great match. 

1104171525.jpg

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, svberger said:

The message here is that in your budget there's plenty of great stuff

Thank you SIR. The hardest part is being "patient,"  because we want it NOW. :) 

Glad to hear my Pilot 230 is better than I thought. Not restored, but new tubes. Will be playing it more ... think I have to LEARN to appreciate the tube sound.

BTW, love your Fisher stuff ... what model amp is that?

Many thanks and greetings from the "other" Bay (Tampa Bay, FL)

On 11/19/2017 at 9:09 AM, Emile said:

Glad to hear my Pilot 230 is better than I thought. Not restored, but new tubes

I can almost guarantee you that without restoration(ie replacing old caps, etc) that amp is not giving you anywhere near the performance it did when new. It's nearly 60 years old, so it can't. At 60, I sure has hell know that I'm not what I was at 20. Who is? Anyway, if there's a good tech around where you are(might have to do some investigative work...ask around, here, on Audiokarma, etc.) who knows their way around vintage tube gear I would get thee to them and get that swell piece updated. You might not be looking any further then what you already own. 

The first amp is a Fisher X-100-B integrated,  and the other one is a Fisher 500C receiver. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Emile said:

Hi All,

Cheers, Emile

I picked up a Harmon Kardon A-500 integrated tube amp 2yrs ago on E-Bay for $400. I think you can still find them for that price on E-bay.

It sounded sweet on arrival but I did replace the filter and ps caps as a precaution. I plan on more updates to parts but have felt no real push to replace parts.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, shiva said:

the company Yaqin

Thanks! Yes; that is how it started ... found a Yaqin MC-10L in the "Garage Sale." Unfortunately the post was over a year old and haven't heard. :( Sure it is "gone." :(

Cheers, Emile 

44 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

And you are powering what speakers?  And what is your source/s

Hi JimJimbo,

Forte I's and KG4's - both with Crites Ti diaphragms and on A/B/AB switch. Source is NAD C-542 CD, Music Hall TT, Sony MiniDisc, Sony DAT, Pioneer LaserDisc, Nak 3-head cassette. (Hey; it's in my small stereo "test room." Had to try all formats. :) ) Currently using Marantz 1060 and a Pilot 230 tube amp (both on a selector switch ... yes, am careful to turn the tube amp off before disconnecting load).

Many thanks!

Cheers, Emile

16 minutes ago, Emile said:

We'll; did not want to bring this up, but ... actually my wife and some of her friends left it on after cleaning their kayaks. :) 

Not sure about the avatar change but I think a new tube amp is certainly in order as a constant reminder for your wife --.

Every time she sees the glowing glass go out and check the water faucet. Seems a fair trade to me ----

• Like 3

I'm amazed no one directed you to the one place which contains more information about using tube type equipment with Klipsch speakers than any other:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/forum/109-talkin-tubes/

It will be a good time investment to read through the threads.  There are many considerations when getting into tubes, so your options may be vast or limited depending on what you are trying to achieve.

Maynard

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

the one place which contains more information about using tube type equipment

Thanks a lot. Had been there before ... but need to visit it again and again. :)  Can't even make up my mind on SE vs PP. :( 

Cheers, Emile