*SOLD* Very Early! La Scala Pair - Seattle WA - Looking to sell

RJB2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, DizRotus said:

I’d make a donation to fund that purchase.  Where’s  @JRH‘s little book?  I’d like to know who originally bought those.

I have asked @JRH to take a look at this thread. Personally, as a Board of Trustee member and Secretary of the Executive Committee for the Klipsch Heritage Museum Association, I want these for the Museum. 

If the OP would be willing to donate these, the Museum could possibly arrange to pay shipping. 

I’m loving this. To the best of my knowledge we have no LaScalas in our Museum collection. 

OP, please advise????  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, dtel's wife said:

I have asked @JRH to take a look at this thread. Personally, as a Board of Trustee member and Secretary of the Executive Committee for the Klipsch Heritage Museum Association, I want these for the Museum. 

If the OP would be willing to donate these, the Museum could possibly arrange to pay shipping. 

I’m loving this. To the best of my knowledge we have no LaScalas in our Museum collection. 

OP, please advise????  

They could possibly yield a much better return to the OP as a donation and claiming as a tax deduction. More than could be had on the open market but I'm just guessing if they could be claimed as a charitable deduction.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, muel said:

I'm glad you are jumping on this for the museum!  Certainly worth saving!  

I'm glad to pitch in a little to help the museum with this.  

I’m just not sure what the OP is wanting. A donation of LaScalas would of course be ideal. Beyond that we may have to request donations to fund the purchase. 

I am of the opinion that they belong in the Museum...hopefully the OP is of the same belief. 

• Like 3

• Moderators

I think the museum is a great place for them. I personally don’t see someone using them in their living room but that’s just me. It will take an off a lot of work and money to get them looking good and possibly sounding good if some Or all of the components need replacing.

• Like 2

@RJB2
Please consider the suggestion by Tasdom above about donation to the museum and the tax write-off implication as the museum is legally a non-profit organization. I see that there is even a person willing to deliver them to the museum for FREE.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Youthman said:

I think the museum is a great place for them. I personally don’t see someone using them in their living room but that’s just me. It will take an off a lot of work and money to get them looking good and possibly sounding good if some Or all of the components need replacing.

Thank you @Youthman  I’m hoping the OP realizes the historical significance of these speakers, by donating them to the Museum. I have transportation arranged to the Museum in Hope, AR if the OP is willing to donate. 

Of course, a letter of donation would be provided. That being said, I’m in agreement with you. It would take a tremendous amount of work to restore these. 

Christy

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, USNRET said:

@RJB2
Please consider the suggestion by Tasdom above about donation to the museum and the tax write-off implication as the museum is legally a non-profit organization. I see that there is even a person willing to deliver them to the museum for FREE.

@USNRET, we have transportation arranged at no charge to the museum. Thank you all for continued support of our efforts. 

5 minutes ago, Grizzog said:

@RJB2 Like @dtel's wifehas mentioned, this would be great to donate to the museum. These are potentially the earliest set of La Scalas still existing and would be an amazing addition to the museum to keep around for other generations to see.

Worth many times more than the effort it would take to get them functional and satisfying to look at in a home.

• Like 1

Great find. Hope these end up in th museum. Everyone is working very hard it seems like to make that happen. Maybe if we could all donate what you feel you have in to them? Sounds like they got a free ride to Arkansas also according to the Facebook post about these. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, JohnA said:

Those crossovers have KLiP diodes, tweeter protection. 

They are the 17th and 18th La Scalas made. 

I'd guess $700 to $1000 for the pair in the pictured condition, if all the drivers are good. 

Perhaps the Museum would be interested in them, but the forum would have to buy them and gift them.  The museum has little budget. 

I’m thinking your estimate is a little high considering the condition. 

• Like 3

Wow! Quite a lot of interest. I do like the idea of them going to the museum but I've had multiple local offers now and I could really use some cash coming in for this. I really don't make much so the tax write off is pretty meaningless for me unfortunately.

That said, I will not sell them right away unless someone shows up with over $1000 for it. If you guys would like to see what can be done in terms of raising money to purchase them I'm very open to it.

Off to work now but when I get home I will try to test the drivers for you guys.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, dtel's wife said:

I’m thinking your estimate is a little high considering the condition. 

Me, too!  I picked up a pair of 1977 ones for $500, and they were "rough" appearance-wise, but not nearly as "rough" as these look.  Functional "historical museum" pieces are one thing, RESTORED functional museum pieces are quite another!  If the bass bin drivers are still "original, good and functional", that would be a blessing...but the cabinet restoration would STILL be expensive (take time, effort and materials), whereas in a museum situation, that would be more of a "labor of love" by JRH/others.  If these are driven by 12" drivers in the bass bin, instead of the later 15" drivers version, the value for REGULAR USE would drop somewhat, but the value for them being museum item would remain. Shipping costs from where they are to the museum would be an additional 500 bucks or more, too!  It is what it is.

BTW, I am willing to throw in $100 bucks towards the purchase for the MUSEUM, just need to know where to send it and when!.

• Like 2

I'm in for at least a $10 donation toward purchase by and for Museum.  If 99 more agree, we're there.  Any donations in excess of that amount would reduce the number of donations needed and speed the transaction.  Do the math, 40 donations at $25 each gets it to $1,000.  I'd do that if 39 others also commit.  It seems that each donation to this 501c3 would be a potential tax deduction to each donor.

Perhaps  pledges by PM to Christy, @dtel's wife, would be a good way to demonstrate the level of support for this potential Museum acquisition.

4 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

I'm in for at least a $10 donation toward purchase by and for Museum.  If 99 more agree, we're there.  Any donations in excess of that amount would reduce the number of donations needed and speed the transaction.  Do the math, 40 donations at $25 each gets it to $1,000.  I'd do that if 39 others also commit.  It seems that each donation to this 501c3 would be a potential tax deduction to each donor.

Perhaps  pledges by PM to Christy, @dtel's wife, would be a good way to demonstrate the level of support for this potential Museum acquisition.

Once again, I am willing to throw in !00 bucks for these to be purchased by the museum, just need to know where and when to send it.  Keep in mind that there are the shipping costs, too!