*SOLD* Very Early! La Scala Pair - Seattle WA - Looking to sell

RJB2

Cleaning out a storage unit and found these! I know nothing about them, I'm not really an audio guy but I figured I should ask you guys about them before I move forward with them. I am looking to sell and located near Seattle. If you guys can give me any advice on what to check for/what I should price them at I'd be very curious to know. Bit dusty and missing outer cabinets? But the components look to be in good shape. Any help you guys can give would be awesome! Thanks in advance!

RJ

2017-11-20 18.30.09.jpg

2017-11-20 18.30.02.jpg

2017-11-20 18.30.49.jpg

2017-11-20 18.31.18.jpg

2017-11-20 18.31.39.jpg

Edited by RJB2
Clarify Title

Those are the earliest production LaScalas I have ever seen. 

- original version casting of the k-400 midrange horn

- original bass horn design with side mounted woofer access door

- front mounting board for K-400 and K-77 without upper cabinet structure which was developed later

I wonder where these spent their life?

I really don't know anything beyond a name. I took a couple more pics to show more model numbers.

I appreciate any and all feedback, thanks for the thoughts so far!

Would love to know opinions on whether I should consider these worth more then the average pair due to the early run as well.

2017-11-20 20.00.02.jpg

2017-11-20 20.00.14.jpg

2017-11-20 20.00.24.jpg

2017-11-20 20.00.36.jpg

2017-11-20 20.04.00.jpg

2017-11-20 20.05.34.jpg

I appreciate the offer but I do think a bit more then that is fair.

I really don't have a good space to store them, just going to be in the corner of my living room until they sell.

So basically the best offer I get in the next couple weeks will likely be taking it home. I'll make a post on CL too.

@youthman I believe it says 1 R not 18, both mean nothing to me but hopefully that helps!

You're in luck, I had pictures of those ready to go but didn't fit on that last post.

Edit: the white splotch or 'horse' on the second speaker appears to be residue from a sticker that was partially peeled off.

2017-11-20 20.05.10.jpg

2017-11-20 20.03.44.jpg

Edited by RJB2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RJB2 said:

If you guys can give me any advice on what to check for/what I should price them at I'd be very curious to know.

The first thing to do is to plug them into a receiver of some kind and try to find out if all the drivers work.  The early LS did not have tweeter protection, something that was added years later in the Type AA crossover (XO)

Take a paper towel center tube (or use your ears, covering up the drivers you are not listening to) and listen carefully to the tweeters, the midrange compression driver (aka squawker) and the woofer and make sure each driver is producing some sound. 

If any driver is not working that will affect the price downward.  For each driver that does not work a replacement would cost about $100 each.  For the tweeters about $125 for the pair on the used market.

The older LS have a component in the XO called a capacitor (cap) that with age will leak oil.  The ones you have look stock and will have to be replaced, no question.  That would cost $100 to update the pair.

As with any older speaker, condition is everything.  Yours are in rough shape.  I rate speakers like a report card, A, B, C, D F.  Going by those pictures I would rate those a D.  There doesn't seem to be water damage and they haven't been set on fire or dropped out of a moving truck.

The good news is if you wanted top dollar out of them a nice cab restoration is not expensive if you do it yourself as black paint can bring those back to a nice finish.  The problem is that takes a LOT of time to do it right.  Some LS are more desirable than others, the ones starting in the late 1970's with Type A or AA XO's in good shape can bring in between $600 and $1500.

I do track the price of Klipsch Heritage speakers, which includes the La Scala.  I won't value yours specifically because I don't want to interfere with the sales between Klipsch forum members.

FYI my analysis is strictly analytical, not biased because I would not be a potential buyer and I have no interest in unfairly helping either the Buyer or Seller.  I agree with the @ClaudeJ1 assessment ^^^ of what the speakers need, basically a complete cab refurb and probably one of everything.

GLWYS

• Like 1

Wow thank you for the thorough input. It may not be until the weekend but I will get a receiver out and report back with more information about condition.

I certainly don't have time to take on a restoration but I do appreciate the information.

Hopefully I'll draw the attention of a Klipsch lover near Seattle who has the time to restore them.

Those crossovers have KLiP diodes, tweeter protection. 

They are the 17th and 18th La Scalas made. 

I'd guess $700 to $1000 for the pair in the pictured condition, if all the drivers are good. 

Perhaps the Museum would be interested in them, but the forum would have to buy them and gift them.  The museum has little budget. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnA said:

They are the 17th and 18th La Scalas made.  .  .  . 

Perhaps the Museum would be interested in them, but the forum would have to buy them and gift them.  The museum has little budget. 

I’d make a donation to fund that purchase.  Where’s  @JRH‘s little book?  I’d like to know who originally bought those.