Front Port? Rear Port? What's Your Preference?

Peter P.

Are there differences in sound? Do you prefer a port over a passive radiator? Supposedly, you can tune the extension frequency of a rear port by changing the distance of the port from the wall-comments on this?

I'm trying to decide how important port design and placement is to my speaker choices.

Experimenting then for your ears or others with the rear ported is recc. Distance from walls, corner placement distance between speakers can be all revealing. It can sound different even between say  a Quartet versus a Forte. Physics, and the design of the speaker output can and will come into it.

Usually what is desired when gauging the proper distance is tuning the bass to it's environment. Less boomy and accurate sometimes described as tight, accurate is often more desired. Room size, appointments also can come into play.  Would focus first on placement. Like my front ported and rear ported. The front ported allow me to  place up against or very near to wall. Others like the placement in corner position. Some, hard and fast rules, others, not so much. Ears then and the personal preferences usually dictate and win out. Enjoy the experience for yourself, and other listeners, if you want. Funtime!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Steve. said:

I like front ported because they can go closer to the back wall , rear ports can muddy the sound if too close 

Actually putting the speaker too close to the rear wall, depending on the design, will muddy the sound.  Too close will reduce the performance of the port and maybe vibrate your walls too much if they are not of good design (something like sheetrock and steel studs).

On 11/21/2017 at 6:12 AM, DizRotus said:

Is this subject still politically correct?

I have to wonder about politically correct.   To be politically correct you have to conform.  How do you share new ideas is you are too busy trying to fit an old mold with conformance?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dtel said:

What's really crazy is when a bookshelf speaker is rear ported, was someone just not thinking, apparently not ?

Good point, I have often wondered this myself. Pretty much dictates that they must be stand mounted. Usually best if they are anyway.

48 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

Good point, I have often wondered this myself. Pretty much dictates that they must be stand mounted. Usually best if they are anyway.

A bookshelf is the worst place for a small speaker :D  Bookshelf is so 60's

We all know they are monitors or stand mounts now.  

In a small room pulled out for imaging, the rear port can be useful.  Front ports many times transmit too much midrange.  At least if the port is not pointing at you, you won't hear that effect.

• Like 2