Orchestra/Symphony

Jeff Matthews

LarryC and I were catching up in a PM about symphonies.  At his suggestion, I attended one locally featuring a Shostakovich symphony, co-featuring a young, Russian pianist named Trifonov.  It was an unexpected treat to say the least, and what topped it off is I had the best seats in the house. 1st row at the inside edge of the right balcony.  

I don't know if anyone else here has seen a live performance of this caliber, but I encourage anyone interested to put on some headphones, relax, forget about everything else for 30 minutes and just watch this amazing performer.  He is world-renowned.   This is not the show I attended, but I assure you he played just as well here.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Some are saying we might witness a new pinnacle.

Alma's not so great.  I could do that if I wanted to.  I just don't want to.  :lol:

Alma was featured on 60 Minutes a few weeks ago.  She has music in her head, all the time.  The most impressive part is she seems so genuinely happy.  We should all be as lucky.

• Like 2

Trifonov is incredible.  IMO, he has an astounding ability in the Mozart concerto to produce all the emotion intended by the composer and all that is hoped for by the audience and the viewer.  I can't imagine how he does it.

If Jeff doesn't mind, I'd like to insert here the link he posted in a PM to another, unbelievable Trifonov performance, I think with the Israel Phil, of the Rachmaninov Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini, Zubin Mehta conducting.  In all of these videos, the conductor may be the most interesting performer to watch, and Mehta, who is of Indian descent, is a very, very, good conductor:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/messenger/47620/&tab=comments#comment-210848

Everybody in this video is superlative.

• Like 1

I had the honor of attending university where Madame Krause, the pre-eminent interpreter of Mozart was in residence.  Her performances were not only always a joy, but educational as well.  I am not sure to whom the torch has been passed, but a pianist classmate of mine has gone pretty far.

• Thanks 1

What might separate Alma, above, with others is the Sixty Minutes piece described how she actually wrote an entire opera and for every instrument in the orchestra. She wasn't just reading, interpreting and playing the writings of say Mozart but writing for the entire orchestra. I could see where interviewing this young lady might be intimidating in that it her responses came so quickly it was as if each question opened a damn and answers came gushing out. Same with the next question, then the next. Her intelligence and musical genious seemed otherworldly.