Centers on side?

Nhpm510z

Hi all, was wondering if Klipsch centers (RC-62ii specifically) were designed to be used either horizontally or vertically?

I am thinking of grabbing another 62 and turning them on their sides to make MTM*-style (2.0) speaker set up.

*The midwoofer-tweeter-midwoofer loudspeaker configuration (called MTM, for short) was created by Joseph D'Appolito

I think they were designed to lay horizontal as a center channel speaker. As suggested by Scrappydue, I ran my P27c center off of the left channel, he claimed it sounded very nice, he was right. It sounded wonderful. I'm sure two RC62lls would sound very good as L&R speakers. But the horn was designed to lay horizontal though, dispersion could be a little odd.

They actually work better in a vertical orientation.  See Toole's book for a discussion of the pitfalls of center loudspeaker designs--namely the horizontal orientation of drivers vs. horizontal off-axis frequency response.

• Like 1

I'm several months in to an experiment with a pair of RC7s standing up, basically using them for 2.1 living room TV/movies and some music. They're crazy good like that. The grill looks a little funky and I can see the holes (normally the bottom) on one side but the sound is superb. Get a smallish sub and you'll have a great sounding system.

• Like 2

That’s what I was hoping to hear.

i knew I really liked the MTM speakers when I had a pair, but wasn’t sure if Klipsch did anything weird to the centers which would prevent it from working. Now, I am off to find a matching 62ii!

i plan on running them grill-less.

5 hours ago, wstrickland1 said:

I'm several months in to an experiment with a pair of RC7s standing up, basically using them for 2.1 living room TV/movies and some music. They're crazy good like that.

I absolutely believe you.  I am a huge fan of the MTM design, and I am a fan of outside-the-box thinking.

I have a pair of RS-62 surround speakers I am using as computer speakers in 2.1.  Because of the way one pair of drivers angle in (toe-in) I get excellent clear sound, and because the other pair of drivers tow-out I get very even sound throughout the room.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 5:15 AM, wstrickland1 said:

I'm several months in to an experiment with a pair of RC7s standing up, basically using them for 2.1 living room TV/movies and some music. They're crazy good like that. The grill looks a little funky and I can see the holes (normally the bottom) on one side but the sound is superb. Get a smallish sub and you'll have a great sounding system.

I ran RC-7's like that for months thought they blew away the RB-75's I had. Recently I took the parts from my RC-7's and installed them into a nice pair of Cherry RF-5's, think they outperform the RF-7 II's now, couldn't be happier! 

36 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I ran RC-7's like that for months thought they blew away the RB-75's I had. Recently I took the parts from my RC-7's and installed them into a nice pair of Cherry RF-5's, think they outperform the RF-7 II's now, couldn't be happier! 

Well you have a nice pair of 2 1/2 ways now so I would expect that there is far destructive interference with the 21/2 way than with the RF5 dual woofers and the horn. I have wondered why Klipsch has never done this with the RF7, I suppose they see them primarily as a HT loudspeaker and running both woofers as woofers will make for more oomph as opposed to a 2 1/2 way where one woofer is really acting as a wide band mid driver. Enjoy your special custom RF5 those are keepers for sure.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:15 AM, wstrickland1 said:

You have to turn the horns if you're going to use them like that. Remove the screws, and turn the horn 90 degrees.