Early Klipschorn K5 horn question.

Rick Fedorchak

Jim,  Hoping  you can answer this one. 

I have an early K-5 horn with center dividers (boats?)     I've seen reference to K-5-J  and K-5-H horns.   However on the label, this one is marked  TYPE K-5-F .   Also after STYLE says 16 Jan 50  .         Also after SERIAL it says  197 .     Also of note, there's no tweeter bracket holes drilled in the vertical support piece at the front of the horn.  

What can you tell me about this horn? 

If anyone has some  non destructive trick they have for reading labels like this please pass them on to me.

thanks, Rick

5a14e163dfa17_K5Flabel.thumb.jpg.f3e8828de55f4c73ebfce1ad05f76737.jpg

5a14e1ad95057_K5Ffront.jpg.914dd0074810dd44b4d27cbc7c2b89e5.jpg

The J designation came after the "boats" were removed.  Prior horns with boats used at least the F and D designations. Not sure of the complete evolution and designations (yet).  HF horn serial numbers do not line up with system numbers.  PWK built K-5's in the tin shed (and later) for sale individually. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 12/7/2017 at 3:11 PM, JRH said:

The J designation came after the "boats" were removed.  Prior horns with boats used at least the F and D designations. Not sure of the complete evolution and designations (yet).  HF horn serial numbers do not line up with system numbers.  PWK built K-5's in the tin shed (and later) for sale individually. 

I had one adapted to a JBL driver in my garage on a LaScala bin I rebuilt. That was a very good horn, and with modern Digital Xover, could be easily PEQ'd flat up top for 2-way while 500 Hz. works fine in a LaScala bin, but not a Khorn bin, which needs 400 Hz. Xover.

• 1 year later...
On 12/7/2017 at 3:11 PM, JRH said:

Hi,  any update on the evolution and designations yet?