RF 7 II/RF 7 III/Forte III

Sjsooner

So my wife has agreed for me to save up for a year to buy new speakers. We live in a condo and I currently have RF 82s hooked up with a Anthem 2 Channel(MCA 225) with a Rogue Audio Magnum 99 preamp. I am interested in music only, so home theater is not a concern. I have some 1985 Cornwall II’s in the closet because of the condo thing(no space). I love them and they aren’t going anywhere(I got the crossovers changed and the tweeter diaphragms from Bob Crites). I would like to upgrade the RF 82’s and I love how the RF 7II’s look with the wood veneer on the front. I also love the classic Klipsch sound and have never thought of the “brightness” as being a negative. They also are significantly cheaper. I know no one has heard the RF 7 III’s yet(and I do have a year obviously to save up and hear them), but I do like the upgrades in theory but I’m not sure about the tweeter dampening. Last would be the Forte III which I have seen nothing but rave reviews for. The only thing that makes me hesitant on them is I already have the Cornwall IIs and I’m telling myself, and more importantly my wife that I won’t need anymore floor standing speakers after this purchase. Also we will be moving to a house within the next 2 years. Anyway I love the forum and Klipsch, but thought I would get everyone’s opinion on it as I fret about something a year away😊Thankyou

Edited by Sjsooner

I listen to mainly rock, but also alt country, classic country, and a little jazz, and everything else. Currently I just have our condo front room as my shared music/entertainment room. When we get a house I will have a music room probably in the basement. I love loud music but because of my current situation in the condo, I am only listening at low volumes ,which I still enjoy. Thank you 😊 

I have to agree, music should get the 3-way forte's as they will be more detailed with the horn loaded mid. Maybe by the time you're ready to buy prices will have come down some a bit, I've already seen f-III's sell for $2500 on eBay with slight shipping damage. There's an "open box" pair on eBay right now for $2800 or $1000 off retail:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-Forte-III-Distressed-White-Oak-Pair-Tower-Speakers-Open-Box/172974032400?hash=item28460e4610:g:X4QAAOSwTm9aBhCm

Thanks everybody, I think I’m leaning towards the Fortes III too. I have been a long time reader on the forum and this is the first time I’ve posted something. I’m 54 and I was introduced to Klipsch when my older brother bought some Heresys in the early 70s. Later in the early 80s I bought my own pair of Heresys and then later my Cornwall’s. I love Klipsch and really appreciate everyone’s opinion. Thanks 

4 hours ago, Grizzog said:

I've owned the RF-7II and currently have the Forte III.

Forte III all day, every day, and twice on Sunday.

Midrange is so much better, more detail, and overall much more balanced sound. No harshness whatsoever and you can listen to them all day long.

Have you had a chance to hear RF-7lll and compare to Forte lll?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Have you had a chance to hear RF-7lll and compare to Forte lll?

Yeah mon.  RF-7III's truly surprised me, I actually pefer it for rock music, kick drums are super nice.  The fortes really sing in the upper midrange though, blues guitar and female voices is hard to beat.  Buy both!  :)  

forte 7iii.jpg

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, whatever55 said:

From bits and pieces I have read...    not    The F III's are supposed to sound better. No passive on the Corn III either.    Just what I have been reading.

On another note how do you like your 70" Sharp ?

Absolutely love it.  Awesome picture.

I guess it goes to show you that speakers need to be heard for one's self.  Based on the forums here alone, I would have EASILY bought the Forte III's over the RF-7 II's.  I just got back(10 minutes ago) from listening to both the Forte III's and the RF-7 II's.  Both speakers were on quality tube pre-amp/amps.  There were 3 of us listening and all 3 of of us picked the RF-7 II's...hands down.  The Forte's sounded good, but not nearly as good as the RF-7 II's AND the Forte's were $1000 more!  When it up comes to the upper echelon of Klipsch, convincing someone that one is better than the other is like trying to convince someone that vanilla ice cream is better than chocolate.  I would be happy with either though.            

• Like 1