The Forte III Have Arrived!

Youthman

Beautiful speakers!  I still deliberate on buying a pair since I can get them for Employee Purchase price from a dealer I worked for 30 years ago  and have known even longer.  Plus other dealers scattered in a 4 state area that I know well from being a rep for other lines that they carried.  I pay retail for nothing in the Consumer Electronics world.  lol  But that will come later maybe.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, YK Thom said:

Very impressive looking (as is your theatre room). Great shots, I think you may have missed your calling in marketing.

Thanks.  I do love photography.  It's funny...anytime I buy speakers, I bring them home, clean them up, wash the grills in the bathtub with laundry detergent (if they are used and have plastic grills) and then I take photos of them.  So there is usually 1hr before I even hook them up.  LOL  Call me crazy but I enjoy the art of photography.  Not sure I would want to do it as a profession though.

3 hours ago, dtel said:

Congratulations Youthman, hope you like them. And to think it was only a few years ago that those doubtful LaScalas ruined your your speaker perception style. :D

Oh, I definitely like what I hear so far.  They sound fantastic.  Just need to do some in depth A/B with the RF-7 II to see which my ears prefer.  Yeah, those darn LaScalas changed EVERYTHING!  LOL  But I wouldn't have it any other way.

5 hours ago, BlessedPrince said:

Your son a big music fan too?

He loves music and even more, he loves gaming.

6 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Congrats Michael. It's a wonderful feeling unboxing new speakers.

Never gets old.  :)

6 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

Your new Forte III speakers look really good.

Thanks!  I think they look really sharp!  I'm editing a video now where I share my thoughts on them.

6 hours ago, babadono said:

Love the insignia on the woofer(passive?) dust cap

I know, why didn't they put it on the front where you can see it?  LOL

6 hours ago, Grizzog said:

The RF-7II don't stand much of a chance against the Forte III.

I have not reached any conclusions as I haven't spent much time A/B between the two but suffice it to say, there were some songs where the RF-7 II were the obvious choice while others, the Forte III were definitely a better fit.  After Thanksgiving, I will do some critical listening and jot down some notes on what I hear.

6 hours ago, dtr20 said:

And how is demoing going? 

I spent about an hour with them in the theater room.  It's amazing how room acoustics plays a LOT in how a speaker sounds.  The bass on the Forte was weak and sometimes non-existent.  Moved from the front center seat to the back right and the bass was nice and full.  Good thing I have multiple subs to help even out bass response in the room.  I mostly listened to them without a sub to see what they could do just by themselves.  Overall, I'm very impressed with how they sound but they sound better in the living room than in the theater room.  Room is larger, feeding them 200 x 2 from an Acurus A200 and a Harman Kardon HK3490 as a preamp vs an Onkyo TX-NR5008 in the theater room.  Lots of factors that  change how they sound from one room to the other.  Also in the theater room, I'm sure having them in front of the cabinet changes the sound some as the cabinet is 3' deep and the front has grill cloth.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Youthman said:

Also in the theater room, I'm sure having them in front of the cabinet changes the sound some as the cabinet is 3' deep and the front has grill cloth.

That may affect it, I was told to keep them 6"-12" from the back wall?

I didn't do that myself but I use them for HT, set to small and always with a sub crossed at 80 so to me it's not that important. 

Take your time, it's always hard to judge a different sound when comparing models.

Congrats!

Looking forward to the comparison vs. your RF-7 II, especially if you are able to crank the volume during the comparison. 

Tonal balance comparison at higher volume interests me personally, as I feel that the RF-7 II can sound a bit sharp at higher volumes with flat tone controls, at least in our room.

Given that the mid and high drivers are so much lower on the FIII's, I wonder if that also will have an impact on perceived tonal balance, as well as soundstage height.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Deang said:

Michael, are your RF-7iis still modified, or did you revert them to stock?

Hey Dean.  My RF-7 II still have the Deang crossovers in them.  Forgot about that.  That will make the comparison slightly different than those that have stock crossovers.

• 1 month later...